VOOM Goes BOOM - update Dish Drops all 15 VOOM Channels

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Just a little question I'll probably get flamed for asking...

Voom is, essentially, for all intents and purposes, dead. I mean, really dead. It isn't coming back anymore.

I miss it too and am glad I have some terrific programming on my EHD to remember from it.

So why are people making nasty comments and bashing others in here? The game's over, or as Ferris Bueller said once, long ago. "What are you still here for? It's over. Go home." ;)

Just a little question I'll probably get flamed for asking...

Voom is, essentially, for all intents and purposes, dead. I mean, really dead. It isn't coming back anymore.

I miss it too and am glad I have some terrific programming on my EHD to remember from it.

So why are people making nasty comments and bashing others in here? The game's over, or as Ferris Bueller said once, long ago. "What are you still here for? It's over. Go home." ;)

Obviously, there is still much to talk about...;)

History is an interesting topic, even if people have different views regarding how things actually happened...this isn't much different...

History is an interesting topic, no doubt about it. ;)

Exactly, and history inevitably leads to the present...

And in the present, there exists hours and hours of Voom HD content. Where is it going to be shown? Rainbow still owns it. Will they sell it? :confused:

I mean, regardless of the 'hater' constituency, the content does have some value...where do you think this content will eventually be shown?

I see two valid reasons to continue the discussion here:

1) What's going to happen to all the HD content that Rainbow has? Some of this stuff would be good for HDNet Movies and some of it good for a channel like Smithsonian HD or the Travel Channel. There's a lot of good content that needs to find a commercial-free home.

2) The lawsuit is still not resolved so it's a fair topic of discussion. All the speculation about who did what is just that - speculation. It will be interesting to see what the judge says when both sides are heard and evidence is presented. Charlie's court track record isn't very stellar so you can't assume that he didn't screw up once again.

Mario

I see two valid reasons to continue the discussion here:

1) What's going to happen to all the HD content that Rainbow has? Some of this stuff would be good for HDNet Movies and some of it good for a channel like Smithsonian HD or the Travel Channel. There's a lot of good content that needs to find a commercial-free home.

2) The lawsuit is still not resolved so it's a fair topic of discussion. All the speculation about who did what is just that - speculation. It will be interesting to see what the judge says when both sides are heard and evidence is presented. Charlie's court track record isn't very stellar so you can't assume that he didn't screw up once again.

Mario

To the first point, a lot of Voom stuff would do well on other Rainbow properties. Much of the film could go to IFC, Sundance (if they get an HD version), and, to a lesser extent, AMC. Ultra HD stuff could find it's way to WE. As for Gallery and Treasure, Smithsonian would be a great place, especially since they sare the Voom problem of too many repeats. Equator and Travel seems natural. G4 and gameplay, too, but I imagine too much of the gampley library is out of date. Hopefully MTV/VH1/Padilla can pick up some Rave programming. I think the stuff from Animania and Family Room will have trouble finding a home. Same with World Sport and Rush, as the library is old an no one wants to watch old sports. If anyone wanted to pick up La Liga or the Rush type sports, they would have done so by now. All and all, I think most of the Voom library will never be seen again.

To the second point, how has Charlie been that unsuccessful at lawsuits? He lost round one, but I think round two (does he still infringe) is more important. If he wins that and can continue selling DVRs without paying a nickel more to Tivo, I'd call that a win. Fox hasn't been decided. What other big losses has he had? And didn't he have a big win in scoring 29 110 TPs? Yes, it's speculation, but I don't think Voom has a good chance.

...and I think the Voom topic is entitled to a thread in the E* forums as much as the E*/Tivo lawsuit has been entitled to such....there remains much to be settled btwn E* and Voom within the next year+.

Voom-haters aren't posting their stupidity to make anyone angry. These antagonists sincerely believe they are shedding light here. They firmly believe what they say and will make sure they say it until any trace of Voom-love is eradicated from the planet. Because that love represents a lie in their opinion, so they seek to extinguish that lie. Unfortunately, acts like that historically have usually lead to even more lies and attrocities instead.

Its ironic, the Voom-haters will troll threads, hijack conversations, and attempt to disrupt any peaceful or optimistic conversation regarding Voom, and hide behind 'their right to an opinion' in doing so...

...yet go into certain forums and proclaim an opinion that states that a 'certain exclusive sports package that costs triple digits' is a complete waste of money for only 16 sundays of monotonous programming, and WOW!!! YOU WILL BE FLAMED TO HIGH HEAVEN! :D :D :D And of course, thats as valid an opinion as any, go figure ...:confused:

In the larger scheme of things, there is no direct correlation between the merits of any given product and its popularity, yet in spite of being a well documented fallacy, many folks continue to use the 'bandwagon argument' to support their claims. Even though the sheer lack of logic negates their point every time...

I'm not looking to curry any favor, but I would rather have 1 or 2 of the VOOM channels than any shopping channels. VOOM offers only 2 channels to their international carriers.

It has been 6 months since I left E* for D*. Last night I got a call from E* customer services, asking me (again) why I left and what could Dish do to get me back as a customer. I was a high-paying customer of E* for 10 years prior to leaving.

I paused for a second, they caught me off guard. Then I told them that I left because Dish canceled the VOOM channels. "VOOM?" the woman repeated. It was easy to tell that she didn't know what I was talking about. Then she said, "We might get that channel back."

I laughed and said that was unlikely as Dish and VOOM were now involved in a lawsuit that would likely take many months to resolve. She then said that maybe it wouldn't be back and thanked me for having been a customer.

So I had an opportunity to get one more word in for VOOM.

It has been 6 months since I left E* for D*. Last night I got a call from E* customer services, asking me (again) why I left and what could Dish do to get me back as a customer. I was a high-paying customer of E* for 10 years prior to leaving.

I paused for a second, they caught me off guard. Then I told them that I left because Dish canceled the VOOM channels. "VOOM?" the woman repeated. It was easy to tell that she didn't know what I was talking about. Then she said, "We might get that channel back."

I laughed and said that was unlikely as Dish and VOOM were now involved in a lawsuit that would likely take many months to resolve. She then said that maybe it wouldn't be back and thanked me for having been a customer.

So I had an opportunity to get one more word in for VOOM.

Actually, it is somewhat more telling that someone who's job it is to call people and ask them why they canceled only heard of Voom when talking to you. I wonder how many hundreds of people she talked to before she found someone who canceled for Voom. While several here fine channels, goes to show they weren't the most popular.

Dish CSR-ignorance

Actually, it is somewhat more telling that someone who's job it is to call people and ask them why they canceled only heard of Voom when talking to you. I wonder how many hundreds of people she talked to before she found someone who canceled for Voom. While several here fine channels, goes to show they weren't the most popular.

Lets not forget that most of the call centers are outsourced. I got three calls
from India and the Philipines in the past when I left.
I am back but at a fraction of what I paid in the past.
I was one of those high tier customers. Voom plus everything they had all HD DVR-2 of them. They have lost allot of money from my monthy bill. Soley due to the takedown of Voom. Im sure there are others like me.

They ( CSR) had no clue in regards to programming to begin with.

I would not base what the CSRs no or dont know in regards to Voom.
They have also been told by higher ups ( American call ceners included)
to plead ignorance on the matter.

They ( CSR) had no clue in regards to programming to begin with.

I would not base what the CSRs no or dont know in regards to Voom.
They have also been told by higher ups ( American call ceners included)
to plead ignorance on the matter.

Ok, I agree that many CSRs are ignorant when it comes to knowing what was offered, but what makes you think they were told to act like they didnt know what Voom was at all? Do you have any proof?

I work at a place that has a call centers and there are times when we are told to just act like we dont know anything because to keep problems down, so I can see where dish may tell them not to act dumb but to try to say as little as possible.

Ok, I agree that many CSRs are ignorant when it comes to knowing what was offered, but what makes you think they were told to act like they didnt know what Voom was at all? Do you have any proof?

I don't think they were instructed to act stupid either. They really don't what they're doing.

I don't think they were instructed to act stupid either. They really don't what they're doing.

Yeah, thats my guess also. If he does have proof to what he posted though, I am very interested in seeing it. I simply dont think that is the case, and he either misspoke, or exagerated a bit:up

I work at a place that has a call centers and there are times when we are told to just act like we dont know anything because to keep problems down, so I can see where dish may tell them not to act dumb but to try to say as little as possible.

Dont get me wrong, I can see it as a remote possibility, but he said that they HAVE been told. Not might have been told

Also, keep in mind that CSR's change very frequently. So, there is a very good chance this particular CSR wasn't even on-board when VOOM was on Dish. ;)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)