VOOM Goes BOOM - update Dish Drops all 15 VOOM Channels

Status
Please reply by conversation.
So how does your post differ from mine?

He has 60 some posts all getting progressively more whiny about Voom. He has gone as far as a borderline death threat against Charlie.

Borderline DEATH THREAT? Get a grip man.

The guy has a right to post his opinion as do others who want to vent their anger at Dish. Dish is a very deceitful company that does not have a lot of integrity at the executive level.

Their picture quality also has steadily gotten worse since the introduction of HD Lite in November 2005.

The only reason I stay with them is the large investment in Dish equipment I have . It would cost me over $1,000 to switch.

So again, criticizing Dish should not be construed as a death threat!

The guy has a right to post his opinion as do others who want to vent their anger at Dish. Dish is a very deceitful company that does not have a lot of integrity at the executive level.

Their picture quality also has steadily gotten worse since the introduction of HD Lite in November 2005.

The only reason I stay with them is the large investment in Dish equipment I have . It would cost me over $1,000 to switch.

Death threat may b ea strong term but so is your statement that no he was saying there should be no criticism of DISH. He was referring to a specific statement made wherein the death of Charlie ergen was presented asa solution to the problem. I doubt that it was serious but many were offended by it. Criticize all you want but i too would rather not see posts of that type---and I don't think that the majority of VOOM proponents ac that way either and at least one expressed his disatifaction with it.

BTW the post was finally deleted by a mod.

and that is a huge difference. Someone's opinion will not dictate a fact. If I was a betting man, I will say that they will be on the air on 7/1/08. Any bets?

There does not seem to be a lot of discussion about in the Cablevision forum. another poster mentioned that NYS requires cable providers to give a 30 day notice before dropping channels. I started a thred asking if this is true but it got sidetracked.

Seems to me Spatch that Cantonsurroundsound has as much right to post responses as you or anyone else on this board. If you do not like what someone says, ohwell!!!:p:p:p

see ya, bye.
When expressing an opinion, each person has the obligation to do so responsibly. Canton clearly crossed the line of good taste last night.

While I agree; When expressing an opinion, each person has the obligation to do so responsibly. Canton clearly crossed the line of good taste last night.

I also believe, to say; Go away already. You have to be the biggest cry baby I have ever seen. Give it up they are not coming back.

Is also in bad taste. By the way, I also do agree that death threats should not be tollerated on this or any other board.

See ya,:)

He was talking about "standing on its own" as it related to being a desired individual channel choice, not its method of funding and operation. At least, that's how I was referring to it, and his post certainly appeared to be referring to it that way.

And, your link simply backs up my statement.

I am guessing you didn't read the post before a Mod deleted it. It was more than criticizing he commented that someones untimely death could bring back voom. All the guy is doing is spamming the forum.

I am guessing you didn't read the post before a Mod deleted it. It was more than criticizing he commented that someones untimely death could bring back voom. All the guy is doing is spamming the forum.

You guys need to get a life (Spatch & KAB). How many posts do you guys have in a Voom thread? Of course all of your posts are negative and insulting to anyone who likes Voom. I can't imagine myself having the urge to make posts in threads I don't care about for the main reason to insult people. Real looooooosers! You have already stated you hated Voom hundreds of times already- we get the point.

You guys need to get a life (Spatch & KAB). How many posts do you guys have in a Voom thread? Of course all of your posts are negative and insulting to anyone who likes Voom. I can't imagine myself having the urge to make posts in threads I don't care about for the main reason to insult people. Real looooooosers!
My most recent post was an insult to a Voomer? Is that how you look at it? Do you condone bad taste in a PUBLIC forum? Really? Seriously?

Last edited:

You would be right about not reading the post. I do not support referring to "someones untimely death" in a post.

My mistake for jumping the gun!

I have to disagree. This is about Charlie and $ simple as that. I have been looking at different polls and they appear 50/50.

WHAT POLLS? Isa reputable polling organization actually doing a poll on this or are you just referring to the polls in here?

He was talking about "standing on its own" as it related to being a desired individual channel choice, not its method of funding and operation. At least, that's how I was referring to it, and his post certainly appeared to be referring to it that way.

It can't do either.

If it came down to market forces to determine if PBS was on the air, it would go away rather quickly. It's only on because of tax dollars and funding by the rich who subscribe to its politics. Take both of those away and you may hear complaints but the ratings will be insufficient to keep it on the air and therefore those who loved it would lament the loss of such high quality programming but have no recourse.

It can't do either.

If it came down to market forces to determine if PBS was on the air, it would go away rather quickly. It's only on because of tax dollars and funding by the rich who subscribe to its politics. Take both of those away and you may hear complaints but the ratings will be insufficient to keep it on the air and therefore those who loved it would lament the loss of such high quality programming but have no recourse.
Other than you being totally, completely, and unequivocally wrong, I would agree with you.

It is the donors and corporate underwriters that support it. And why do they do that? Because of the high quality of programming. And, because that quality brings in the dollars, it indeed stands on its own. (even if they don't produce crap like...oh...I dunno...Lost.)

If broadcast networks, or almost any number of national "cable" channels, were to rely solely on viewer financial support, how many do you think would actually stand on their own? I don't remember the last time I even watched ABC. I only watch NBC for two half hour sitcoms, and CBS for Letterman. Occasionally Fox when my wife forces me to watch Idol (against my will, I might add.) Otherwise, it's only a handful of "cable" channels and some HBO OnDemand.

Oh yeah, and a fair amount of PBS (HD OTA). Very few shows can compare to Nova, Nature, or Soundstage. Even the formerly educational Discovery channels have turned to crap with reality shows. And, now National Geographic is joining suit, calling themselves NatGeo. I guess Americans are just too dumb to pronounce "National Geographic" in its entirety?

One of the best, if not THE best, HD channels in existence is PBS HD. And, I think you find that I am not alone in that assessment.

Oh yeah, and a fair amount of PBS (HD OTA). Very few shows can compare to Nova, Nature, or Soundstage. Even the formerly educational Discovery channels have turned to crap with reality shows. And, now National Geographic is joining suit, calling themselves NatGeo. I guess Americans are just too dumb to pronounce "National Geographic" in its entirety?

One of the best, if not THE best, HD channels in existence is PBS HD. And, I think you find that I am not alone in that assessment.

I'll second that. PBS blazed trails in HD programming, and is still one of the best HD channels. Besides all of the excellent nature/science/history/cultural programming, don't forget about the kids block in the morning. Who grew up in the 70's and 80's without watching shows like Sesame Street and Mr. Rogers? Anybody who tries to marginalize PBS because of its "public" nature is way off base.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

CONGRATS ECHOSTAR! 922 wins best of CES award!

Just wanted to say THANKS.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts