VOOM Goes BOOM - update Dish Drops all 15 VOOM Channels

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
But what cutting voom was good for business? What if Voom wasn't meeting the spending requirements? What if Dish was getting a lot of complaints about constant repeats? What if the previous was true and Dish could get rid of voom and add channels that customers have been requesting?

That's a good point too. I will admit that during that 6 month stretch I was pretty disgusted with Monstershd. I'm not sure what the issue was during that time period. Was Voom upset because they were placed in a different tier? Or Dish demanded they follow the schedule making them less desirable? Is it true that Charlie tried to break the contract every chance he got?

Tv for many people is a way to wind down after a hard days work. Just because your tastes are different than the average person, doesn't mean that you are better than them.
Well, I see what part of problem is already - who ever said anything about elitists? If that's what you think just because someone doesn't want to watch ad-ridden sitcom reruns and Riki Lake exploitation tv doesn't make them elitist.

A good deal of programming on Voom catered to the average person and wasn't in what ever elitist standard that you have. Yes, there was fashion shows and art shows and movies from foreign countries, but there was also concerts, BMX stunt shows, monster movies and childrens shows from the 60's and 70's.

Duh, Rush was one of my favorite channels.

Voom just didn't make it. To make it sound like J6P (as you say) caused this is crazy.
Aren't you the one saying that Dish dropped Voom to add what J6P wants to watch? Nice turn around...

There are dozens of channels that couldn't make it on their own that we are stuck with right now.

If I picture Voom as a person I see a forty year old Guy living in his parents basement. He plays in a cover band at a local bar once a week and thinks he is a rock star. He has the same set list for the last 6 years and occasionally will add a new song or 2. He is a great musician but never did anything since his first band failed. Now the bar let him go in favor of new acts. Bands that play music the crowd wants to hear. There are a few people that are upset about it. They are the same people that came ever week to hear Free bird and this guys own version of Anarchy in the UK, where he replaces UK with USA. They are upset but most get over it. A few decide that they will no long visit the local bar and will start going elsewhere. Does the Bar notice? No, because they have new customers now. It is business as usually at the Pub. As long as the bar still makes money, they don't care.

Interesting look into your thinking.

Sounds like the wrong local pub to me.

Have you ever been to Soho or other cultural centers of large cities? There is a place for everyone and a sufficient clientel to support it. Most people don't listen to Ivy or Lisa Loeb but they are still successful. There are people who call their music crap but they can keep walking to the bar that plays their top 40 from the 90's music. In fact, the places that play the Indy music and the less well known musicians are actually some of the more popular places to go for music lovers. But the typical bar can't get the masses to drink their swill without Top 40 music blaring. Dish had a a great package of entertainment that could appeal to a substantial group of viewers but the noisy obnoxious local bar made it seem otherwise. At least in your allegory.

"Voom goes boom" has nothing to do with your little story. Smithsonian and several other channels are showing content that Voom made popular. This was all about "The Gambler" and the story has not even begun to be told yet.

Well, I see what part of problem is already - who ever said anything about elitists? If that's what you think just because someone doesn't want to watch ad-ridden sitcom reruns and Riki Lake exploitation tv doesn't make them elitist.

You.
You make it sound like the average viewer is trash and they should all want to watch what you watch.

Of course Dish is catering to J6P - J6P can't be bothered to elevate himself, he instead insists that everything be dumbed down to him.

Aren't you the one saying that Dish dropped Voom to add what J6P wants to watch? Nice turn around...

Nope that was you. You coined the phrase J6P. I said the majority of viewers didn't want Voom they want other channels.

Most of Voom's channels also had new content regularly but once again it was original programming not JoeSixpack top 40 features.
I see programming from the 80s and 90s on all the Joe SixPack channels right now.

There are dozens of channels that couldn't make it on their own that we are stuck with right now.

which ones?

"Voom goes boom" has nothing to do with your little story. Smithsonian and several other channels are showing content that Voom made popular. This was all about "The Gambler" and the story has not even begun to be told yet.

What?

It seems to me that is exactly what happened. Remember the 5 month long thread about the Sci-Fi channel?

The Sci-Fi channel was put up before Voom was taken down. Quite a while before in fact, it just wasn't available to subscribers.

I just noticed the ad banner on DirecTV's site..."DirecTV Stomps the Competition....DirecTV: 95, Dish Nework: 81, Cable: 56 National HD Channels Available." Funny, but with VOOM the count would be Dish Network: 96, DirecTV: 95, and Cable: 56.:cool:

What will Dish's count be after August 1st? I'll have to go back and find the list being turned on but it seems that will make them even or maybe Dish will have a slight lead. Of course, that would make Dish the HD Lite Leader, right? :D

What will Dish's count be after August 1st? I'll have to go back and find the list being turned on but it seems that will make them even or maybe Dish will have a slight lead. Of course, that would make Dish the HD Lite Leader, right? :D
...for sure.;) While we're not happy with the VOOM situation, we would probably still be paying customers if it weren't for year after year of DishHD-Lite. To me, the numbers are less important than the quality of the picture and programming.

Net HD reduction?

Maybe others have already commented on this but I note that while Dish loves to brag about adding some HD content, they don't mention that for every new channel, they deleted some other channel. While the Voom channels weren't to die for, they were promised to me by DISH and I agreed to pay for them. I don't think that the net overall effect has been impressive.

Of course, if you hated the Voom channels and love the replacements, then you're just lucky. But still, it hard to argue that what DISH has done over the last year is a clear improvement when you consider both the deletions and the additions. It appears to me that DISH only wants you to look at one side of the ledger.

OMG

...for sure.;) While we're not happy with the VOOM situation, we would probably still be paying customers if it weren't for year after year of DishHD-Lite. To me, the numbers are less important than the quality of the picture and programming.

The HD liters have to jump in on this. Until they get more of the sats going there is no way for them to do anything other than.

The HD liters have to jump in on this. Until they get more of the sats going there is no way for them to do anything other than.

Hdlite with E* is here to stay at least for the next couple of years. As they are pressured to add more hd mainly because of D*. PQ is as bad as I have ever seen.

Maybe others have already commented on this but I note that while Dish loves to brag about adding some HD content, they don't mention that for every new channel, they deleted some other channel. While the Voom channels weren't to die for, they were promised to me by DISH and I agreed to pay for them. I don't think that the net overall effect has been impressive.

Of course, if you hated the Voom channels and love the replacements, then you're just lucky. But still, it hard to argue that what DISH has done over the last year is a clear improvement when you consider both the deletions and the additions. It appears to me that DISH only wants you to look at one side of the ledger.

Hey Dummy- good post.:) I agree with you statements. Problem is there is nothing like Voom for E* or even D* to add. Mainly mainstream channels of the same crap which most of the time is either stretched or not in hd.

Where's your proof

Hdlite with E* is here to stay at least for the next couple of years. As they are pressured to add more hd mainly because of D*. PQ is as bad as I have ever seen.

I would like to know where you get this info. Both E* & D* have just put up 1 sat each that will be turned on very soon. D* in fact has just gotten up their new bird and E's goes up sometime between Nov 08 to Feb of 09 depending on which source is used. Anyway they will have an increased number of transponders that will be MPEG 4 only. How can you say that it will be 2 more years before the "HDLite" ends?

I would like to know where you get this info. Both E* & D* have just put up 1 sat each that will be turned on very soon. D* in fact has just gotten up their new bird and E's goes up sometime between Nov 08 to Feb of 09 depending on which source is used. Anyway they will have an increased number of transponders that will be MPEG 4 only. How can you say that it will be 2 more years before the "HDLite" ends?

Just my opinion. D*s pq is fine. E* has declined a lot. The pressure to keep up with D* will make E* add more hd channels that take up a lot of space. Its going to take some time for them to have the capacity for all the hd channels in the next few years.

Hey Dummy- good post.:) I agree with you statements. Problem is there is nothing like Voom for E* or even D* to add. Mainly mainstream channels of the same crap which most of the time is either stretched or not in hd.

For a second I thought you were talking to me.:D

dish needs new management

I signed up for dishnetworks soley due to Voom HD as that was enough of a quality of content and picture to go with dish instead of DirectV but now that their poor management dropped Voom and treated us like crap; well the scales are clearly for Directv and we are happy to switch! dish does not get it; it is quality of programs and unique content. I know I paid a premium but for us the Voom channels made it worth the extra money. It is so sad to see Voom gone. I am happier with the service, and overall experience thus far with Directv but would switch in a heartbeat if there was Voom HD offered somewhere?

I'd like to see the VOOM channels come back, even if as an a la carte add on. If Dish still has 5 of the channels I wonder if that means that they still have rights to distribute the other 10, but have just elected to use the bandwidth for something else right now.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts