VOOM Goes BOOM - update Dish Drops all 15 VOOM Channels

Status
Please reply by conversation.
BTW i think the talk about VOOM going away on cablevision was based in part on the belief that the new VOD offering was replacing VOOM...

Acutally, the talk was based on the end of Cablevision's carriage agreement with VOOM that is rumored to have ended on 6/30. It is unknown if the contract was renewed, if negotiations are still in progress, or if the ink is dry and they are enjoying a summer in Bermuda. However, one would think with VOOM's uncertain future - they would issue some kind of press release if the news was good. I'd be shocked if they are not in a month to month while negotiations continue...

Acutally, the talk was based on the end of Cablevision's carriage agreement with VOOM that is rumored to have ended on 6/30. It is unknown if the contract was renewed, if negotiations are still in progress, or if the ink is dry and they are enjoying a summer in Bermuda. However, one would think with VOOM's uncertain future - they would issue some kind of press release if the news was good. I'd be shocked if they are not in a month to month while negotiations continue...

A lot of it yes. But at least some was tied to the VOD announcement----which never said anything about the end of the "linear' VOOM programming.

But even tying it to the end of the current agreement is questionable unless you have info that Cablevision did not intend to renew it. My point was (and maybe I did not express it clearly) that we often take speculation and rumors and simply accept them as fact.

My point was (and maybe I did not express it clearly) that we often take speculation and rumors and simply accept them as fact.

Agree 100% and I hope I didn't come off sounding like anything I was saying was fact... (Of course, I usually tune into forums for the speculative rumors, and the corporate press release wires for the harder "fact")

As far as voom goes; I missed voom, literally. Was about 2 months late to the party; so I don't really know what I am missing. I was really looking forward to channels like RAVE and Equator. I would have to say, I'd love to see 5-6 of these channels back. The realist in me knows it is highly unlikely, but one can still dream.

IFC is commercial free. They better not go commercial.

They have sponsors, kind of like underwriters on PBS. Which is fine with me. If they can figure out how to get commercial dollars without actually having commercial BREAKS, everybody wins.

They have sponsors, kind of like underwriters on PBS. Which is fine with me. If they can figure out how to get commercial dollars without actually having commercial BREAKS, everybody wins.

IFC has commercials but its not during the movies, so its ok by me.

Yes, that is the classy way to do it, ads between, not during, the programs.

If a broadcaster does their ads this way without interrupting what I am trying to watch, they have earned my respect and admiration, and I will actually watch the ads.

On the other hand, I have often decided absolutely to NOT buy/watch/etc things for the simple reason that they are advertised "in your face" during and on top of the program I'm trying to enjoy.

I'm totally anti commercials, so I would not them at all, not even between shows. I end up getting up and never coming back during commercials. I hate having stuff hawked at me. I also hate how loud commercials seem to be in relation to the loudness of the actual program.

IFC is better than nothing but I just glanced at the guide for the next 10 days and there is very little horror in it. I guess they do show some though.

I'm totally anti commercials, so I would not them at all, not even between shows. I end up getting up and never coming back during commercials. I hate having stuff hawked at me. I also hate how loud commercials seem to be in relation to the loudness of the actual program.

When it comes to broadcast networks, I understand why they have to have commercials. It's their main source of revenue, and the only way they can stay on the air. I agree with you when it comes to cable channels. They charge us a mint for the privilege of having these channels, and subject us to even more commercials than the broadcast networks.

I got a call from Dish today about the VOOM channels. I don't know why they bothered - they had no information to share and nothing to offer. It was just 10 minutes of my life I'd like to get back.

Mario

Voom was great and I pray they come back somewhere?

I also hate commercials! Voom definately represents many great channels sorely missed like Equator HD, Treasure HD, Rave HD, Rush HD, etc. :( I was fine paying extra for those channels and I think if they actually advertised Voom HD more and included it their HD package dish would have gained more revenue to support Voom. Now after totally pissing me off and having no unique channels in HD it is a no brainer for us to cancel. We are getting our Directv dish installed this Saturday and are saving $788.76 the first year! and then $18 a month there after. :eek:

FYI, American Express is giving $50 for anyone switching to Directv before July 31; only the initial first month needs to be done via American Express after that you can pay any way you want.

We would switch in a heartbeat to anyone carrying Voom HD. :D

I got a call from Dish today about the VOOM channels. I don't know why they bothered - they had no information to share and nothing to offer. It was just 10 minutes of my life I'd like to get back.

Mario

Were they notifying you they were gone or what? What was the purpose of the call. If the first is true it's a little late.

When I was with D* several years ago they they were stuck at around 9 channels for like 2 years. I left because of Voom and when I called to cancel D* offered a lot for me to stay. They said I was a Gold Customer or something to that effect. I get great offers from them all the time. If E* continues on the same path and doesn't get my locals in Hd by end of year I will be switching.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)