VOOM Goes BOOM - update Dish Drops all 15 VOOM Channels

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Where is your proof on the statement in bold? Directv has made fun of voom in their ads. I would think 90% of direct's customers have no interest in those channels. If they were in that much demand I am sure they would be carried.

Voom has made themselves look very bad in the eyes of potential carriers. 1. a failed standalone service 2. failed on Dish 3. breaching contracts on spending 4. constant repeats. What provider wants a piece of that?

You offer nothing to this thread at all. In fact most of your statements are lies for the purpose of starting a fight. You say the same crap over and over and over again. If anyone/thing repeats its you!

Talk about the pot calling the kettle black. You have made several outlandish mistatements, portrayed them as being facts, and then offer no proof in support of your claims.:rolleyes:
Other than popular channels like USA, TNT, ESPN, Lifetime, etc., the same can be said of most cable channels. What's your point?:confused:
...and that would be YOUR opinion.;)

Where are my outlandish mistatements?

You offer nothing to this thread at all. In fact most of your statements are lies for the purpose of starting a fight. You say the same crap over and over and over again. If anyone/thing repeats its you!

I asked a question about a post. That would be adding something to this thread.

Here is another you said most of my statements are lies prove that.

Last edited:
Never mind that any group of channels added would steal bandwidth (or not, depending on what happens with the new satellite), and that lots of other channels repeat everything. (Smithsonian HD, for example, and I don't see anyone complaining about that.) In other words, just as on our forum, there's no discussing the matter rationally :mad:

So true. I can't effectively relate my dissapointment over many of the last few channels that were added in 'HD.' I guess it probably boils down to a chicken and an egg argument - if the channels launch an HD version (the egg) eventually they will be able to fill it with HD (the chicken). Personally I would rather see the chicken first and then the chicken can lay the egg.

Smithsonian is downright dissapointing - I don't see hardly any new programming there but I don't look much any more so maybe it is getting better?

Does MHD have more new programming than RAVE HD did? If they do it can't be that much more...

I was really looking forward to MGM-HD as a replacement to TCM but it has quite a ways to go before it is even close.

At least TNT and TBS have stepped up the HD content, there really was no excuse for TBS not to show stuff like THE OFFICE in SD.

My plea is to hold off on more HD until we actually have more HD....

Where is your proof on the statement in bold? Directv has made fun of voom in their ads. I would think 90% of direct's customers have no interest in those channels. If they were in that much demand I am sure they would be carried.

I am sure it's basically opinion. And just like a&*%oles everyone has one. Mine is that if any provider feels Voom will benefit their business such ads will be quickly forgotten. Business is business. Some businesses are also good at creating demand if they see that the product will sell. At this time the Voom product wont. But products change.

So true. I can't effectively relate my dissapointment over many of the last few channels that were added in 'HD.' I guess it probably boils down to a chicken and an egg argument - if the channels launch an HD version (the egg) eventually they will be able to fill it with HD (the chicken). Personally I would rather see the chicken first and then the chicken can lay the egg.

Smithsonian is downright dissapointing - I don't see hardly any new programming there but I don't look much any more so maybe it is getting better?

Does MHD have more new programming than RAVE HD did? If they do it can't be that much more...

I was really looking forward to MGM-HD as a replacement to TCM but it has quite a ways to go before it is even close.

At least TNT and TBS have stepped up the HD content, there really was no excuse for TBS not to show stuff like THE OFFICE in SD.

My plea is to hold off on more HD until we actually have more HD....

In theory, I agree, but that's probably why Direct blew past Dish the last quarter or two. They didn't wait to add channels with little or no HD, some still w/none. New subs see all the channels they recognize on one provider, a few might know the reality of the situation, most just go "good deal", MTV in HD, or whatever. If they do figure it out, they're already hooked in anyway. At the same time, I'd like TCM to offer an HD channel, whether it was or wasn't, just so it would be in the HD package:D.

In theory, I agree, but that's probably why Direct blew past Dish the last quarter or two. They didn't wait to add channels with little or no HD, some still w/none. New subs see all the channels they recognize on one provider, a few might know the reality of the situation, most just go "good deal", MTV in HD, or whatever. If they do figure it out, they're already hooked in anyway. At the same time, I'd like TCM to offer an HD channel, whether it was or wasn't, just so it would be in the HD package:D.

I would give my left nut for TCM HD...However, I can't see that happening anytime soon. They have so many movies that it would probably take several years to 'remaster' it. I will probably get railed for this, but I would take TCM HD over any of the Voom channels, including Monsters.

Voom has made themselves look very bad in the eyes of potential carriers. 1. a failed standalone service 2. failed on Dish 3. breaching contracts on spending 4. constant repeats. What provider wants a piece of that?

I never claimed "proof" of said statement. It was indeed an opinion and a point.

The point was that Voom never gave providers a choice of channels. Instead, by forcing 15 Voom channels instead of 1 to 5, we will never know if DirecTV or other cable companies would have purchased the most popular of the channels.

Spatch, I've agreed with you here and there, but you always come back to your true nature as a Voom Troll. You need to get over yourself and your grand claims or demands of "proof". I was pretty much validating your hatred of Voom, blaming them for their part; but you are so into checking this thread so you can Voom Bash that you did not even get the point. That's just lame and dumb, running in here for the fight, not to discuss or add anything productive.

I never claimed "proof" of said statement. It was indeed an opinion and a point.

The point was that Voom never gave providers a choice of channels. Instead, by forcing 15 Voom channels instead of 1 to 5, we will never know if DirecTV or other cable companies would have purchased the most popular of the channels.

Spatch, I've agreed with you here and there, but you always come back to your true nature as a Voom Troll. You need to get over yourself and your grand claims or demands of "proof". I was pretty much validating your hatred of Voom, blaming them for their part; but you are so into checking this thread so you can Voom Bash that you did not even get the point. That's just lame and dumb, running in here for the fight, not to discuss or add anything productive.

Is this the new PIT???

The desire all along by the Voom haters was to get this thread closed and any other Voom threads. By constantly trashing and dogging anyone who wants to discuss Voom, they are creating a situation that will cause the thread to be closed and they will win. Just ignore the Voom haters and continue the conversation.

The desire all along by the Voom haters was to get this thread closed and any other Voom threads. By constantly trashing and dogging anyone who wants to discuss Voom, they are creating a situation that will cause the thread to be closed and they will win. Just ignore the Voom haters and continue the conversation.

To be fair, just because someone isn't on your side doesn't make them a "hater" or a troll. There are 2 sides to every story, and they both should be told. This thread shouldn't be a "Dish is evil and killed Voom!!! Dish hates true HD!!!" gripefest. You can certainly miss Voom, but their mistakes are valid points as well, just as Dish's mistakes are.

Last edited:

Sorry, but the way you put it in your post made it sound like a statement not an opinion. When you say "DirecTV (and almost any provider) would pick-up Monsters or Filmfest or Fung Fu individually." Make it sound like Direct has approached Voom about individual channels. In this thread that is just adding more fuel to the fire.

Spatch is trying to make it one..............

How so? I hate when people make claims about me with no proof. In what way am I making this like the Pit?

I have people saying I am lying and making "outlandish mistatements", but which of my posts are lies or "outlandish mistatements".

Yojimbo

Yesterday I watched Kurosawa's Yojimbo recorded from Voom's Fu Channel. That's when I truly miss Voom. Great movies in HD without ads, without interruptions, in original aspect ratio, not edited for content, and no stretch-o-vision BS. That's the closest you can get to high quality picture and programming (CINEMA EXPERIENCE) on satellite/cable, except for very few *overpriced* premium channels that I don't want to subscribe to.
Don't take me wrong, I'm pleased to know that now I can watch *SD* reruns of X-Files or Star Trek on TNT "HD" or Sci-Fi "HD", but the newly included channels are not even close to replace the Voom channels in content and picture quality, even when taking the Voom channels at their worst.
Unfortunately, subscribers that know how to appreciate content and quality like us are a minority. The craziness about this situation is that, despite our willingness to pay extra to have Voom in a premium tier, Voom didn't want to play the niche game and have us as costumers. Otherwise they would have accepted the initial proposal by Dish to be relocated in the upper tier. People like me with HD Absolute would probably not even have been affected.
In other words, it doesn't look to me like Voom wants to sell content to us. It looks more and more as if their game is to close shop and try to run with the bounty.

It does seem that way, I mean you havent heard anything from them on trying to get back. I get upset when I watch some of the movies on my DVR and its depressing when I see the Voom symbol. This whole thing sucks and I would love for some kind of resolution but I am starting to think that will never happen, but I do like to chat with the rest of you who feel the same way.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)