VOOM Goes BOOM - update Dish Drops all 15 VOOM Channels

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Quick if you go to VOOM.COM you can still hear the booming voice exclaim "Here is whats playing on another VOOM HD network!"

I do miss VOOM, I still crave rave.

Rainbow Pulls Plug On Voom HD Service - 12/18/2008 4:16:00 PM - Multichannel News

I still remain pretty neutral on the whole voom thing but:
In a memo to employees Thursday, Rainbow president and CEO Joshua Sapan blamed the suit and the scenario with Dish Network for leading to the demise of Voom HD domestically.
Said Sapan, “Unfortunately, as we analyzed the opportunities and challenges in the current environment and the lawsuit, it became clear that we can no longer operate Voom domestically, particularly without EchoStar fulfilling its obligations and providing its support. Some Voom staff will remain at Rainbow to manage the operation of Voom internationally, using our expertise in content development and the depth of our HD programming library to seek new distribution opportunities around the world.”

If you have a quality product that people want, packaged in a way they are willing to buy it; then one companies decision to not carry you should not be the reason for you to implode. To survive in any business you need to be willing to adapt and evolve. If they would have reduced channel count or allowed providers to choose the stations they wanted; voom would have remained relevant. Take responsibility, don't play the blame game.

Sad...
VOOM was ahead of its time and way above the crowd.
The crowd didn't like that... killed it... :(

I miss VOOM! ... All 21 channels of it!

I think thats important as dish WANTED to keep VOOM, Dish wanted RAVE, Monsters and the other channels they kept as those were the channels folks watched.

It was VOOM who told Dish to carry all 15 channels or else... that got all the channels pulled from Dish.

You don't tell Dish or else. That was a mistake.

Dish was a partial owner of VOOM, they didn't want to see it fail, but when given the or else treatment Charlie did what Charlie had to do.

I think thats important as dish WANTED to keep VOOM...
Sorry Scott, but I don't buy that. I don't think Dish wanted VOOM at all. They needed VOOM initially to become the HD leader overnight. Once they've got enough of other HD channels, they decided to drop VOOM and were looking for any excuse to get out of the deal. They have found one and dropped 10 channels. And offered to keep the remaining five channels as a payment for dropping the 1/2 billion dollar lawsuit. When VOOM refused to drop the lawsuit, they dropped the 5 remaining channels. They never wanted to keep VOOM - that was a lie if they said that, IMHO.

Ilya you were in the room with Me and Charlie Ergen when we were discussing VOOM and even you agreed at that time that Dish did the right thing.

Charlie wanted to keep the 5 channels and have them pull in some of the content from the other 10 channels onto these 5 remaining channels, but Voom wouldn't change.

VOOM killed VOOM.

Ilya you were in the room with Me and Charlie Ergen when we were discussing VOOM and even you agreed at that time that Dish did the right thing.

Charlie wanted to keep the 5 channels and have them pull in some of the content from the other 10 channels onto these 5 remaining channels, but Voom wouldn't change.

VOOM killed VOOM.
No, I never agreed that they did the right thing. I think I even told Charlie that.
We've heard the same words, but my interpretation was slightly different.
I think you are missing the main point: It's not that VOOM refused to accept the five channel deal, it's that VOOM refused to drop the lawsuit - that was the main condition of the new deal.

And thats because VOOM wanted Dish to carry all 15 channels or nothing.

Ilya I understand what you are saying and am in agreement with you.

VOOM needed to change but failed to do so and from where I sit didn't want to change. Why is it no one else in the US (except Cablevision) pick up any of the VOOM channels. They were some good things on there. My belief is that VOOM was playing take all the channels or none game with others as well.

I bet the Voom channels offered alacarte to operators would have done well for Rainbow, but they never appeared to want to go that route.

And thats because VOOM wanted Dish to carry all 15 channels or nothing.

Ilya I understand what you are saying and am in agreement with you.

VOOM needed to change but failed to do so and from where I sit didn't want to change. Why is it no one else in the US (except Cablevision) pick up any of the VOOM channels. They were some good things on there. My belief is that VOOM was playing take all the channels or none game with others as well.

I bet the Voom channels offered alacarte to operators would have done well for Rainbow, but they never appeared to want to go that route.

I agree with that. VOOM had too good of a deal with Dish and didn't want to change it.
Dish didn't like the deal no longer as they had to pay more and more, so they wanted out.
I wish both sides were more flexible and worked out a new deal instead of taking a "my way or the highway" posture.

I had VOOM as a stand alone service back in the dark ages. I migrated to dish when they continued to carry the VOOM lineup. For me the killer app from VOOM was RAVE and to this day there is simply no substitute. Commercial ridden, over compressed (audio) Paladium is unwatchable. My DVR is loaded with Jules' Later episodes. I think people forget just how good that channel sounded. The audio was always fantastic.

Well, the bad news, based on today's announcement is that VOOM is gone for good. It's not coming back for sure.
However, the good news is that the huge Rainbow Media's library will no longer be locked in VOOM.
Some of original programs will be gone, but others may find their way to other channels and become available beyond Cablevision.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)