VOOM Goes BOOM - update Dish Drops all 15 VOOM Channels

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I wonder if they plan to use the library on their current channels or may they create a new channel or a couple new channels.

However, the good news is that the huge Rainbow Media's library will no longer be locked in VOOM.
Some of original programs will be gone, but others may find their way to other channels and become available beyond Cablevision.

I really hope that's the case with programming from Rave, Rush and some of the movie channels. I'd like to see it show up on other HD channels that we currently have...

That's a bummer, but I hope they do sell their library of unique stuff to other networks or push as much into their Non Voom channels as possible. RAVE was a great channel, MHD has a lot to learn / pick up to match them.

RE: Jumping to FiOS... it's an AMAZING service for Internet and the PQ on the TV is awesome, what is not great about it: The price (very, very expensive compared to E*) and their DVR, it's the POOPS, Moto STB are trash! The 622/722 are what keeps me with E* and not jumped to D* or V*!!

I would pay extra to get WorldSportHD... if it was possible to bring it back...

On Sunday it was El Clásico: The Real Madrid vs. FC Barcelona match.
For soccer fans it's like the Super Bowl - the biggest game of the year.
The most watched match in the world. WorldSportHD showed it live...

Since Dish Network dropped GolTV channel too, I had to go to my friend to watch the game on DirecTV...

Some of original programs will be gone, but others may find their way to other channels and become available beyond Cablevision.

But will they be picked up by a channel that will run them uninterrupted and uncensored? If not, it's no substitute for Voom.

remember ... Voom is shutting down domestically ... they are alive and well (for the time being) internationally, thus possibly still leaving a crack (however small) in the door for a possible future reappearance. Also if they are still programming internationally wouldn't they still keep their programming??

Yes, I like alot of you miss some of the channels. I believe they were foolish to try to force all the channels on dish and also possibly others, and not provide a smaller pkg. After all something is better than nothing (programming = subscribers = revenue stream)

It was a long Death, but finally Voom can rest in peace.
...what you failed to mention is that Rainbow has freed themselves from the shackles of ongoing litigation (VOOM versus EchoStar is now a completely separate issue), and then can focus on creating content and distribution channels for Rainbow programming assets and, perhaps, a few new channels (I mentioned this back in July). The VOOM name may be dead, but the Rainbow case against E* is very much alive...and so to is their programming library and HD production studio. Again, I would not be surprised to see two or three new HD channels appear in the Rainbow lineup in the coming months.

"The other option is to shuttle VOOM Network HD LLC, sell VOOM assets back to Rainbow Media for pennies on the dollar, close-out E*'s equity ownership in VOOM, and stand-up 5-8 "New HD Channels" under the Rainbow moniker.:up:up"

http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-ne...post1456398.html?highlight=dollar#post1452915

Now that VOOM is officially "Dead", EchoStar may very well be ordered to pay up to a billion dollars if they are found to have illegally terminated the 15-year affiliation agreement as VOOM mentioned in their complaint.

Finally, since VOOM is officially "Dead", we wish you well in your future endeavors since you no longer need to troll the VOOM threads.:wave

Interesting Tidbit?

I just noticed that a "Status Conference" has quickly added to the VOOM versus EchoStar docket (Court Appearance). "Status Conference of what?", is my question. Offhand, I don't know if this is a routine follow-up to yesterday's 12/18 "Compliance Conference" or IF both parties are pushing for some kind of settlement. Offhand, a settlement goes against what was reported by Multichannel.com, but you never know when it comes to money...and the timing (along with how quickly it was scheduled) seems a little suspect. "“Unfortunately, earlier this year, a significant legal dispute arose with EchoStar (now known as Dish Network),” he added. “While that lawsuit is progressing, the expectation is that it will be at least a year before any sort of resolution is reached. Therefore, we have been evaluating different strategies and plans for Voom's domestic business.”

01/08/2009 Supreme Trial LOWE, RICHARD B. III
STATUS CONFERENCE 56 2:30
12/18/2008 Supreme Trial Compliance Conference Held LOWE, RICHARD B. III
COMPLIANCE CONFERENCE 56 2:30
10/23/2008 Supreme Trial Compliance Conference Adjournd LOWE, RICHARD B. III
COMPLIANCE CONFERENCE 56 2:30 NI
05/13/2008 Supreme Trial Preliminary Conference Held LOWE, RICHARD B. III
IAS PRELIMINARY CONFERENCE 56 9:30
04/01/2008 Supreme Trial Prelim Conference Adjourned LOWE, RICHARD B. III
IAS PRELIMINARY CONFERENCE 56 9:30
02/06/2008 Motion Fully Submitted LOWE, RICHARD B. III
IAS MOTION PART 56 56M 001
02/06/2008 Supreme Initial (first time on) Prelim Conference Adjourned LOWE, RICHARD B. III
IAS PRELIMINARY CONFERENCE 56

Additionally, I noticed that Rainbow has been "evaluating different strategies and plans for Voom's domestic business" and they will not layoff an unspecified number of employees for another 60-days. Could Rainbow be working a deal with D* to provide new HD channels to them free-of-charge in exchange for uplink and distribution services? Could their actions be an attempt to force EchoStar to settle the case in exchange for Rainbow permanently shutting-down VOOM's domestic business? Who knows...but there appears to be more to this story than VOOM just quietly pulling the plug on VOOM's domestic operations.

There must be a big library of Voom material and most people have never seen it. I doubt they will just throw it all away. IP streaming doesn't sound that far fetched to me.

IP streaming doesn't sound far fetched, but I doubt Voom would consider that. They could make more $$$ putting that crap on other Rainbow networks or selling it piece by piece through other channels of distribution in the US, while continuing to sell the stuff overseas.

That's a bummer, but I hope they do sell their library of unique stuff to other networks or push as much into their Non Voom channels as possible. RAVE was a great channel, MHD has a lot to learn / pick up to match them.

RE: Jumping to FiOS... it's an AMAZING service for Internet and the PQ on the TV is awesome, what is not great about it: The price (very, very expensive compared to E*) and their DVR, it's the POOPS, Moto STB are trash! The 622/722 are what keeps me with E* and not jumped to D* or V*!!

MHD what? No such thing anymore.

FIOS is great for channel selection. Agreed. Fios' DVR sucks. Agreed. Price is very expensive. Not agreed. It is a bargain for what you get. Internet... not agreed. Yes, it is fast, but there is a HUGE downside in the shared bandwidth and the Actiontec requirement (yes, you can get around it with the NIM100, but that isn't perfect and you shouldn't have to find a work around to a service you pay for).

I just noticed that a "Status Conference" has quickly added to the VOOM versus EchoStar docket (Court Appearance). "Status Conference of what?", is my question. Offhand, I don't know if this is a routine follow-up to yesterday's 12/18 "Compliance Conference" or IF both parties are pushing for some kind of settlement. Offhand, a settlement goes against what was reported by Multichannel.com, but you never know when it comes to money...and the timing (along with how quickly it was scheduled) seems a little suspect. "“Unfortunately, earlier this year, a significant legal dispute arose with EchoStar (now known as Dish Network),” he added. “While that lawsuit is progressing, the expectation is that it will be at least a year before any sort of resolution is reached. Therefore, we have been evaluating different strategies and plans for Voom's domestic business.”

(...snip...)

Additionally, I noticed that Rainbow has been "evaluating different strategies and plans for Voom's domestic business" and they will not layoff an unspecified number of employees for another 60-days. Could Rainbow be working a deal with D* to provide new HD channels to them free-of-charge in exchange for uplink and distribution services? Could their actions be an attempt to force EchoStar to settle the case in exchange for Rainbow permanently shutting-down VOOM's domestic business? Who knows...but there appears to be more to this story than VOOM just quietly pulling the plug on VOOM's domestic operations.

Could just be status of depositions. Perhaps one side or the other is having difficulty with people appearing to be deposed.

If Voom really was "evaluating different strategies and plans for Voom's domestic business", they would have split up the channels ages ago. That makes me doubt they are up to anything other than putting a positive spin on a press release.

I doubt they could give DirecTV Voom for free for distribution. That would certainly not look good to a judge in the Dish-Voom lawsuit.

Anyone think Dish might use Voom's failure as an argument in court that Voom would have failed anyway, even with continued Dish distribution?

OK, Voom has now been permanently toe tagged, but a few questions remain about the satellite Oor maybe not, I'm not sure where everything stands)....

What about the satellite that E* took over? Does E* own it, do they lease bandwidth on it? Will the satellite itself be used against E* somehow in legal proceedings from this point forward? Does E* control the day to day opearations of the satellite or does Rainbow?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)