Voom HD may be a prgramming only service.

jmhunter83

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 26, 2005
Voom may be seperating, and creating a Voom HD sellable product to other sat providers, like DTV E*. In other words, the same voom original programming, except pushing it as a seperate product like HBO, on another provider.

Dolan created HBO, this is right up his alley.

If you look at what theyre buying its the framework for producing and distributing HD content to other sat providers. This will fill a gap, since not many networks are providing content for satellite services to serve. Though it goes against what I hope, this is probably what is on their mind. Also the HDN Livewire claims that VOOM programming is being sold to the dolans. The satellite slots they have are more fitting for distribution to other sat companies, not to consumer, in this day and age.

This is real close to what I've been speculating too. Voom HD has content, but with FCC approval of the deal with E* (if it comes) will have no satellite. The Dolan success stories include HBO, AMC and WE among others, and those are money makers.

Is it possible that Voom HD would become part of the HD Pak for both D* and E*?? That doesn't seem too far-fetched at this point. Although--if Voom actually DOES launch a successful DVR, it would seem to indicate to me that they are interested in being a service provider rather than a content provider.

The Stone Man said:
This is real close to what I've been speculating too. Voom HD has content, but with FCC approval of the deal with E* (if it comes) will have no satellite. The Dolan success stories include HBO, AMC and WE among others, and those are money makers.

Is it possible that Voom HD would become part of the HD Pak for both D* and E*?? That doesn't seem too far-fetched at this point. Although--if Voom actually DOES launch a successful DVR, it would seem to indicate to me that they are interested in being a service provider rather than a content provider.
Perhaps they can do both! Be an exclusive HD content provider to the DBS community (Only on Satellite), maybe offer an 10 channel package, and maintain a niche market of subscribers by offering additional HD choices. Time will tell...

It sure seems like the Dolans are going to try to keep Voom alive as DBS service given what we're seeing. This was his original goal, and it seems like this is what he is still determined to do. They are still saying that they will add more channels in March and there's no reason to do this if there will be a major change in direction. Now that's not to say the direction won't change if they can't make major progress in turning Voom around over the next year.

However, it certainly makes sense to try to leverage their investment. With all the effort put into the Voom Exclusive channels, why not wrap up the best into 3 or 4 channels to market to the the other cable and satellite providers. But he'd still need to retain some exclusives for Voom to set it apart.

They could come up with an "HD World" package for example:
Combine Rush and WorldSport into one WorldSport HD channel.
Combine Gallery and Equator into one WorldViews HD channel.
Combine the best movies into one WorldCinema channel.
There are certainly possibilities with this however they choose to mix it up.

Maybe ther will be an HD tier only, but I highly doubt that. voOm will be available as a full service provider. The announcement we see don't make sense for an additional HD only service. Chuck and Tom are going for a full based service, just with more HD and more SD and better PQ. (last is speculation) I really don't think that their view has changed after the announcements as late as January about expansion.

Everyone tends to over elaborate on what they think will happen.

I have my money on Voom being a content only provider in a year.

Being "content only" problem is this, you have to have providers that want to pay for the programing, so the subs can watch, wholesale vs. retail, but based on D*, E* and cable not carrying that many new HD channels lately, no one wants to pay for it (and I have been to lyngsat, E* has a couple of transponders open at 110, so its not bandwidth ) and the HD subs get ******.

cussing.gif

This is the most interesting part of the article mentioned in TheDeal.com.

" And though Dolan can put the family trust up as collateral for a loan, it is unlikely he can arrange a credit facility large enough to establish Voom as a viable third competitor to EchoStar and DirecTV, which spent $4 billion and $5 billion, respectively, before reaching cash flow breakeven. Besides, "if Dolan wanted to do that, he would have bought the satellite that Cablevision sold to EchoStar," said a cable and satellite industry source.

If it cost $4 to $5 Billion before reaching cash flow breakeven in the cases of DirecTV and EchoStar they must have known that when they started.

Curiouser.....and curiouser......yet in the same article it also says.

"He's ensured continued distribution of the channels by leasing space on the Rainbow 2 satellite," Hammer said of Thursday's deal.

This would suggest that while concentrating on programming they realize they must have a distribution source readily available and not depend on EchoStar.

I guess we VOOMERS will just have to wait and see.

jame_g said:
It sure seems like the Dolans are going to try to keep Voom alive as DBS service given what we're seeing. This was his original goal, and it seems like this is what he is still determined to do. They are still saying that they will add more channels in March and there's no reason to do this if there will be a major change in direction. Now that's not to say the direction won't change if they can't make major progress in turning Voom around over the next year.

However, it certainly makes sense to try to leverage their investment. With all the effort put into the Voom Exclusive channels, why not wrap up the best into 3 or 4 channels to market to the the other cable and satellite providers. But he'd still need to retain some exclusives for Voom to set it apart.

I have to agree with you. I seriously doubt that the dolans would release a press release to such magnatude only to turn voom into a content only provider.
You do have to remember that this deal with echostar is not finished and has yet to go in front of the FCC for approval. Until either company file for the sale Cablevision stil ownes the uplink center and the satellite.
What the dolans bought did not require FCC approval so that was an easy sale. However though, knowing the dolans (through rep. only) and their intention on keeping Voom alive I seriously doubt that the Fcc will allow echostar to oportunity to purchase the satellite and uplink center considering that they are together in one nice neat package.
In addition should the Fcc take as long to as it did to deny dish & direct to merge to approve or deny this deal voom could have additional space set up to go just incase they loose the satellite.

The Dolans are not stupid guys, I do believe that they are investing some of their money into this venture and I don't believe that they would do that if they didn't believe that in the long run this was going to work. I do believe it will work. Cable companies have no business running satellite companies, EVER. The dolans have built very sucessful ventures over the years and serious doubt that voom is going to be anything but sucessful.

jmhunter83 said:

Yes, I also said this last summer. I felt the Cablevision's VOOM channel linup was best suited as another HBO concept for HDTV, not another DirecTV, but many people, then disagreed with me because their thinking was to ask: Why would a cable company be a content provider? Well, why be a DBS company but they did. Today, the possibility is even stronger than ever but how we are arriving at that point is a bit different than I pictured. Yet it makes perfect sense what the article's author describbed. Hold out the VOOM service as a DBS until E* and D* are clamoring for national HD content. Then, if Dolan stil can't muster sufficient subscribers, he will have the "another HBO" content provider business model to fall back on. Bottom line, Voom subscribers can't lose by just hanging in there and continuing to enjoy the variety of quality programming.
So who may lose? At this point, if the two Dolans blow their cash cow on keeping this alive, the other son who remains with Cablevision, could have his share of the family fortune drained to nothing. Something like this could affect any business deal he tries to make with his father in the sale of the VOOM company to them (other two Dolans.) There is far more to this soap opera than it appears on the surface. Follow the money!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)