Voom In Iroquois Co. Illinois

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

leasetl

Original poster
Mar 30, 2004
On Friday, April 2nd, 2004, I am scheduled for installation of VOOM. My intention is to do a way with my cable provider and high speed internet service. For the past severial months I have been looking at my 1080i monitor and wishing to use it. Severial providers say they service this area, however, I am going with ZOOM basic package. My former cable bill with inter net was approximately $140.00, which included the HBO, etc channels.
Will I regret the move, well I am going to try it, an as far as I know, I will be the first in this area to see if it works.

You won't regret it. I have had it little over 2 weeks and love it. Just follow the advise of this forum and you won't go wrong. Welcome to Voom.

Installation in Iroquois County

Voom Installer called and said he was headed down to this location. He stated he was coming from Chicago and was not familar with this location. We lost contact, attempted to redial his cell phone and got Joliet Hospital. Finally he called again, with his phone breaking up we did manage to get him inside the city and meant at a Mc'Donalds.
He installed the dish, hook everything up, except for the outside antenna. Voom signal was received thru the dish, so he attempted to mount a winegard antenna, with 60 mile range on top of roof. He never got any signal over 20, and never a picture. Our area is approximately 15' to 20' below sea level, so we will probably have to add 30' of extension poles to reach any signals.
Chicago is approximately 80 miles, Joliet-60, Champaign Urbana 55 miles and Danville is around 50 miles, so there still may be hope.
What we have noticed is that Voom channels are clearer, however, we are still confused over the issue of our 1080i monitor. Our TV was HDTV ready but without the receiver. Menu on TV shows the picture at 480P, and a full screen. After we find our manual on the TV, will will try and learn if the 480P is a false reading and if we have to change our screen display thru the menu.

Did you check the red button in front of the receiver? This red button determines the resolution that the box is outputting. There 4 horizontal bars in front of receiver. Each time you press the red button the horizontal bar will lit. Here are the resolutions:

Top bar lit ---> 1080i
Second bar lit (from top to bottom) -->720p
Third bar lit (from top to bottom) ---> 480p
Bottom bar lit ----> 480i

All bars lit ---> Native Resolution of channel...

If you set has a native resolution of 1080i then set it to "top bar lit".

Hope this helps.

I can only see a picture when the third and fourth light are displayed. The top bar, the second bar and all four bars at once, do not allow any picture, just a green screen with bunch of dots or something on it.

leasetl said:
I can only see a picture when the third and fourth light are displayed. The top bar, the second bar and all four bars at once, do not allow any picture, just a green screen with bunch of dots or something on it.

What's the native resolution of your display? Can you check your manual?

Pulled out TV manual, and discovered that only one hook up would support 1080i, and that was componet #2. Installer had connected everything to componet #1. I figured that he would had saw that information when he plug everything in. We turned off all components, and switched wires to componet #2, turned on everything and could not see nothing. I then pressed the red button, the top bar came on and so did the picture, it was nice. We then hit the display button to see what the screen was at, and it said 1080i, so may-be some one the installers are not sure of what they are doing. Our next thing will be to attempt to get local channels, which average 50 -80 miles as the crow flies. Since we are below sea-level by 18', this may be a problem. However, we have had rabbit ears in the past and still received some type of picture. We can receive TV on our Bravada so that is lower than the house. Friday VOOM is sending another installer down, hopefully he is not only friendly, as the last installer, but efficient enought to get our local channels for us.

Voom Is Only A Satellite Dish In This Area

:no ALTHOUGH I AM ABLE TO RECEIVE LOCAL CHANNELS IN MY CAR, I CAN NOT GET THE OTA ANTENNA TO RECEIVE ANYTHING. BEING THAT I CAN NOT RECEIVE ANY LOCAL EMERGENCY NOTIFICATION FROM ANY OF THE LOCAL TELEVISION SITES, I AM FORCE TO SAY THAT THIS AREA IS NOT FOR VOOM. MAYBE BE INCREASE SATELLITE COVERAGE OF LOCAL CHANNELS WILL THIS OPEN THE DOOR TO VOOM, AT LEAST IN THIS AREA, BUT NOT NOW. I WISH THEM THE BEST OF LUCK, BUT I MUST GO BACK TO CABLE, OR TO ONE OF THE OTHER SATELLITE PROVIDERS, WHO DO OFFER LOCAL RECEPTION.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)