VOOM Installations

That really sucks!!!! I hate when people take advantage of other people and are too lazy to do the job in which they are paid.

faithntim said:
I was scheduled for this afternoon, but they had to call and cancel due to a truck break-down. Re-scheduled for Thursday morning 3/4.

Regarding line-of-sight, since I have Dish 500 which shoots just over the top of my trees, will I be okay with VOOM also? Do they shoot at the same satellite?

Tim

Do you have a 61.5 E* or just 119 and 110? The 61.5 for E* is the same as the 61.5 of VOOM.

Sean,

I emailed Wilt and put you on the CC line. Can you verify the 12 degree angle from the horizon that the evil installer mentioned?

WLong said:
Sean,

I emailed Wilt and put you on the CC line. Can you verify the 12 degree angle from the horizon that the evil installer mentioned?

Bill,

I do not know the look angle for your location but I found a thread that has some information on it. Here.

What happened to the $25 he wanted to charge you? Did he leave?

I paid him and he left before I got online to tell you all the story.

Sean Mota said:
Bill,

I do not know the look angle for your location but I found a thread that has some information on it. Here.

He may have been right about the 12 degree angle. Even then, there are a lot of options he wasn't willing to explore (side mounting, pole mounting, etc.)

If it were a credible installer, I would accept a no LOS. Keep in mind, DISH network and DirecTV had no LOS issues to a single satellite. DirecTV had a LOS problem getting both the HD sat and the normal programming sat.

Sean Mota said:
Damn, you should get this money back! This pisses me off.

Here's one website that can give you the look angle:

http://www.orbitsat.com/Support/Point.htm

Amen! :)

Yeah I think the 12 degrees thing is correct. Even then, I have a large two story house which should make this install a no brainer for someone with some experience. Even the area he said might work without some branches in the way would work with a side mount as opposed to an upright mount.

Grrrr he pissed me off. I *will* get my money back. If Wilt can work some magic, I may have some goodies to send to you two as a token of appreciation. :)

WLong said:
Amen! :)

Yeah I think the 12 degrees thing is correct. Even then, I have a large two story house which should make this install a no brainer for someone with some experience. Even the area he said might work without some branches in the way would work with a side mount as opposed to an upright mount.

Grrrr he pissed me off. I *will* get my money back. If Wilt can work some magic, I may have some goodies to send to you two as a token of appreciation. :)

No need to do so. I am sure Wilt will escalate this and have you installed. Let me know what happens. Here's a little program that I found to calculate elevation angle.

Attachments

• zip500.zip
    126.3 KB · Views: 3,171
Sean Mota said:
No need to do so. I am sure Wilt will escalate this and have you installed. Let me know what happens. Here's a little program that I found to calculate elevation angle.

That zip is empty :(

Nevermind... no its not. :)

I have that program and he was right about the 12 degree angle.

Does VOOM do side mounting? If so, that would have worked for sure.

Lori from VOOM called. She is having a different installer come from the same company since they already have the equipment and can come back today.

Sean, any pointers for mounting suggestions in case he attempts the same no LOS attitude the other installer did?

If I have to drive the installation ideas here, I will. The last guy had a 2 dollar compass and no digital equipment to verify signal. Lori believed he should have had digital equipment.

Bill

WLong said:
Lori from VOOM called. She is having a different installer come from the same company since they already have the equipment and can come back today.

Sean, any pointers for mounting suggestions in case he attempts the same no LOS attitude the other installer did?

If I have to drive the installation ideas here, I will. The last guy had a 2 dollar compass and no digital equipment to verify signal. Lori believed he should have had digital equipment.

Bill

Bill, you couldn't be in better hands than Lori. She is very good and will make everything work. Have her phone number in hands just in case anything else happens. Hard for me to say right now how to mount it. Let's way and see what this other guy says.

I have another guy coming tomorrow to do a professional site survey (on Installs Inc's dollar!) in case todays install fails for a second time.

I have yet to hear back from the original installer about them coming to do the work again today.

I am trying to find a location for the Dish that would work best. Where there is a will, there is a way. :)

Bill

WLong said:
I have another guy coming tomorrow to do a professional site survey (on Installs Inc's dollar!) in case todays install fails for a second time.

I have yet to hear back from the original installer about them coming to do the work again today.

I am trying to find a location for the Dish that would work best. Where there is a will, there is a way. :)

Bill

Good luck on the install Bill, sounds as if your going thru some sort of nightmarish installation process. :shocked I hope everything turns out well. I'm in norcal myself, and awaiting an install tomorrow, and just hope I don't go thru the same bad experience! Again good luck man!

if you have trees it's hard ,open sky then it should work.i had to dump Dish because they moved the HD to a different bird,too low in the sky Directv i can get but their HD sats are blocked--- but i have tall trees but--- 61.5 is Wide open see the space a shot is a shot 12 degrees is low but with a pole and open sky..should work good luck

Attachments

• DSC00004.JPG
    DSC00004.JPG
    298.9 KB · Views: 94
The original installer called me back to apologize for the $25 fee and to tell me I wont get VOOM with my location.

Should be interesting to see what the next guy says. I know this will work, its just a matter of getting someone here that is willing to make it work. I wont let the next guy leave until all ideas are exhausted. :)

I have a few ideal spots in mind for the installer to look at. Its pretty crappy that VOOM has their Sat at 61.5 for us west coasters.

faithntim said:
Hmmm. I just have the Dish 500, no other dish. That's 110 and 119, right?

Yes.

Take a look at this picture: Here

both of these dishes are pointing to 61.5. The one in the background is the E* and the one in the front is V*. My Dish 500 (pointing to 110 and 119) is at the lower left corner (you can't see in the picture).

rang1995 said:
if you have trees it's hard ,open sky then it should work.i had to dump Dish because they moved the HD to a different bird,too low in the sky Directv i can get but their HD sats are blocked--- but i have tall trees but--- 61.5 is Wide open see the space a shot is a shot 12 degrees is low but with a pole and open sky..should work good luck

Is that shot from where the Dish is mounted for VOOM and you have the same 12 degree angle I do? If so, let me go snap a a few pics of my eastern view.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)