VOOM Installations

Well, the installers are here now. Not quite sure how well informed they are. One guy argured with me when I asked about running a separate line for they OTA. He said the problem is not with the diplexor but with Voom's software. In they end they agreed to run the separate line.

I showed them the atennaweb map to orient the OTA, he said he didn't need it, that the site was wrong and that he had some device to calculate where to point the atenna. Then he said he could only point it at one station and that they don't garrantee that I'll be able to get any OTA channels. When I told him that I currently get all my local channels from the Rat Shack Bowtie anttena, he then said "well in that case you should be fine," and walked out. I think he was a bit annoyed with me and all my questions.

I'll post another update when they are all done.

Vlad

Vlad D said:
Well, the installers are here now. Not quite sure how well informed they are. One guy argured with me when I asked about running a separate line for they OTA. He said the problem is not with the diplexor but with Voom's software. In they end they agreed to run the separate line.

I showed them the atennaweb map to orient the OTA, he said he didn't need it, that the site was wrong and that he had some device to calculate where to point the atenna. Then he said he could only point it at one station and that they don't garrantee that I'll be able to get any OTA channels. When I told him that I currently get all my local channels from the Rat Shack Bowtie anttena, he then said "well in that case you should be fine," and walked out. I think he was a bit annoyed with me and all my questions.

I'll post another update when they are all done.

Vlad

Yeah my installers told me the same thing about the OTA Antenna pointing, but after they left I had to move it almost in the oposite direction to pick up all the stations I used to pick up with a small radio shack indoor antenna. You'd think these guys would know better, but they don't. I also argued with my installers about running seperate lines, they wanted to charge me 35 bucks to do so, but I made sure to stand my ground, and didn't pay them a penny to do so.

Installed in Phenix City, Alabama

My install could not have went any better. My installer, Robert (Bob) Newman, Emerald Coast Broadband Communications, arrived at 1:00 PM, in a nice little work truck with his extension ladder on top. Bob introduced himself (very friendly) and immediately went to work. I showed him my plan and then he made several recommendations that were better than my plan, so we did it his way. Bob had no problem with running two lines.

Bob was organized and very professional. He cleaned as he worked and the way he ran his cable and fitting could have been pictured in a text book. When he drilled into my house he used rubber fitting on each side to prevent water getting into my house. We went through the activation process that took about 15 minutes and we had a picture. Then Bob setup the Stealth on a teloscoping (20') mast that I had previously mounted. I helped Bob raise the mast after he had put together the antenna. We went inside and within a few minutes I had picture on ABC, NBC, FOX & UPN. We do not have WB. The PG shows channel 3-1 for CBS, but no picture. All the other OTA channels look great. I have guide info everywhere except the OTAs. By the way, the OTAs look better than the SD on Dish Networkl. I am very pleased about that. Also, my CBS & ABC are 20.6 miles away on the same tower at 126 degrees. My Fox and NBC are 12 miles away at 101 degrees and 103 degrees. My UPN is 14 miles away at 322 degrees. All these stations are digital.

Again, I can't say enough good things about my installer. He even showed me a card trick before he left at 5:00 PM. He wants and deserves a VOOM hat (I want one too).

Also, I did a factory reboot but it did not affect my OTAs.

Problems:
Missing OTA info in the PG.
CBS channel not coming in.

Glad to hear that everything went very smooth. The OTA information takes sometime to fill the guy after install. It should download every night afterwards.

What strength and quality numbers are you getting for CBS. Select this channel and then go to voom button ---> green button (options and settings) --> system settings ---> system status---> scroll down to system status channel and read the numbers.

System Channel Status

CBS: Sat Signal Quality: 0
Off Air Signal Quality: 14-19-20-14 (keeps jumping around)
Sat Signal Power: 58
Off Air Signal POwer: 0

RickyMac said:

It looks like you are not getting a lock on it. Did he install the pre-amp?

RickyMac said:
That is exactly my problem in getting abc and fox. Installer will be back with a bigger antenna next week. Im about ~30 miles from the towers, in one clean straight shot west. My numbers jumped like that as well, not getting a lock. Hope ya get it fixed

I just got installed and I had a great experience. I helped the guy with everything and he was very knowledgeable. We were up and going in no time. He used my existing 24" dish, mounted the new LNB on it since I only had a single sat LNB and I ordered 2 receivers.

The only problem we had was someone forgot to pack my 2nd receiver so they are coming out tomorrow (on a Sunday!) to install it.

New VoOm install and questions

I had my Voom installed last Wednesday, and all I can say is wow. I am totally blown away by high def! This is how we need to watch everything. I'm seriously contemplating already changing my programming to the Va Va Voom package just so I can get more hi def channels. I spoil easily.

Here's where I'm having problems though. I can't get my channel mappings to come through. I have called Voom up and they hit my unit a couple of times trying to get them to show up. They had me unplug it a couple of times with no results. I have also followed the factory reset guide a couple of times with no results.

I'm in the 75604 zip, but that is basically just a subset of 71101. All of my locals come out of Shreveport, so they changed my channel mappings to point there, but nothing has shown up. I'm not sure where to turn at this point. They are sending out the installer again on Monday to bring out the big boy antenna since Shreveport is actually about 50 miles from my location. Even still my local channels should still be listed though, shouldn't they? I just might not actually see anything on them.

The other things I was wondering about is the brand of upgrade antenna they use. I know that it is considerably bigger than the Stealth. Does anyone know what I should expect?

Wow that was a quick response!

Yes, I did check that website the other night. That's where I saw that they had Longview (75604) as a subset of Shreveport. Which makes sense. There are 2 additional channels listed under the Shreveport zip code that do not show up with the Longview zip but all of Longview's locals come out of Shreveport.

The channels coming out of Shreveport are 3.1, 3.3, 12.1, 24.1, 24.2 and 24.3. That is about right. They are missing FOX out of Shreveport which is broadcasting HD (correction, they are broadcasting digital but I understand FOX doesn't do HD yet just some 480p) according to Antennaweb, but they also have a few channels listed there that Antennaweb doesn't even show.

The problem is I don't have any of those channels. All I have listed are 0-4, 0-8 and 0-10. That's why I followed the factory reset instructions. No luck :confused:

Go to VOOM button ---> Green button (options & settings) --->System Settings-->Installation Settings --->Reportback.

Tell me what your trip count is... if higher or equal to 4 do another factory reset. It sometimes takes a few for them to appear.

Its here!

OK they arrived at 130p. Installation done by 4p. The guys were polite and efficient. So far the antenna wont get me all the channels I want though. I hoped for NBC and the WB but they say I may need another antenna in two weeks, if that works I may keep VOOM.

Its less friendly than Directv and my Zenith 520 thats for sure. Channels change s...l......o......w.

We'll see.

My trip count is reporting 0. I don't know if any of the other info is important, but it shows Idle and Last Report Time and Status show N/A.

dledeaux said:
My trip count is reporting 0. I don't know if any of the other info is important, but it shows Idle and Last Report Time and Status show N/A.

That trip count does not sound right. Can you reboot it to see if it changes?

If nothing do a factory reset again to see channels start coming up. Do 2 or three times.

Reboot? Is that just a turn off and back on? I read something somewhere about holding down the power button for 5 seconds, and of course the Voom guys have had me unplug the unit.

BTW, slightly different topic, but ... what is the USB port for? :D

dledeaux said:
Reboot? Is that just a turn off and back on? I read something somewhere about holding down the power button for 5 seconds, and of course the Voom guys have had me unplug the unit.

BTW, slightly different topic, but ... what is the USB port for? :D

Holding down the power button for 5 seconds and letting go.

USB port ---> no one knows....

I don't have all my locals yet (and they are all listed on the VOOM listings) I wrote Wilt and he told me not to do the factory reset.

I did the above to check the Trip Counter and mine shows 51 is that ok?

I just wondering if Wilt sent a hit to my box and its stuck.

Suggestions? Ideas?