VOOM Installations

dsball said:
I had my install completed on Saturday (McKinney,TX) with no problems. I already had an antenna installed in the attic, for OTA receiver I had, which he used. Mounted dish and ran new cable, which I had pull string in place to fish through the wall in living room, to receiver. I pulled the cable down the wall myself while he mounted the dish on the roof. The tech only had to waite on the line with Voom for about 10 minutes, which is better then i had previously read on this forum, to get the motorola STB autherized. I was getting a signal strength of only 34 with the software on the box at first but at some point it updated to the latest version later that afternoon and now shows about 80.

Overall I am satisfied with what I'm getting. the only issue i have is that 2 of the 7 HBO's are breaking up real bad. I have a call into Install's Inc and will report back the corrective action.

That signal quality of 34 or 80 does not sound good. That dish needs to be repeaked. With the old software you should have gotten in the 50's for signal quality and in the 90's with new software. Otherwise, you will get breakups in the channels and will be more suceptible to rain fade.

dsball said:
Overall I am satisfied with what I'm getting. the only issue i have is that 2 of the 7 HBO's are breaking up real bad. I have a call into Install's Inc and will report back the corrective action.
Have them come back to "peak" the dish. They usually tune to the Dish satellite at 61.5 and not the Voom at 61.5. There IS a difference.

Some of these "so-called-professional" :rolleyes: installers are sloppy.

I got my voom today!

The install was scheduled for 12-5. The installers were there are high noon. They had done a couple voom installs was there experience but had employment backgrounds with all Cox cable and all the rest. Overall the installation was smooth and by 1:20 pm I had voom on the 65 inch looking good. I had to do the 'red button' trick and the installers didn't know that one, thanks to this board!

My OTA quality is about 85 and satellite is only 52%. I think I could get better if I tweak the dish what was mounted to the fireplace. Is that safe to do?

It could be moved to another place but it one of the highest points to see the satellite. The PQ is great on HD stations. The SD seems pixelated compared to regular cable versions.

So I can report no horror stories on my install. Perhaps more tweeking for our monsoons but I'm happy with what I see for zero down. Now I gotta go watch MonstersHD

REd: hello, welcome..when you say "fireplace" i guess you mean the chimney??thats ok as long as its not right above the top where the heat comes out on the side "near" top it's ok

Gr8Reb8 said:
Have them come back to "peak" the dish. They usually tune to the Dish satellite at 61.5 and not the Voom at 61.5. There IS a difference.

Some of these "so-called-professional" :rolleyes: installers are sloppy.
Thanks guy's, I'll ask when they come back out. It helps to have good info to fire back if they start to feed you a line of BS.

Rang,

You are right off the chimeny and we only use it about 10 times per year in Phoenix. I've been watching DiscoveryHD (Which we're going to lose anyday?) and MonsterHD, plus the soccer channel. Now I wish I had HBOHD to see movies. The Cinema channel is OK but I'd like to see more current films. The MonsterHD will be watched 10 times more than scifi ever was.

The channel changing is OK for me. Now to sell this off to the GF who is due home.

I had my installation done yesterday, just as planned. Everything went smoothly and I am very satisfied with the outcome. I did use a diplexor though because I wanted to use my existing coax in my house and didn't want to have anymore penetrations or sloppy wiring done. He was nice enough to put the antenna in the attic to keep everything stealth looking. I get good reception on the antenna except every once and a while. I'm thinking I might need a little bit bigger antenna in the attic. My installer was very careful with my new house and my white carpet. He always took his shoes off which was greatly appreciated.

Time Warner Cable even offered me a retention deal when I canceled with them and were suprised when I told them I went with VOOM. They had no idea what it was and was shocked when I told her that there were ~39 HD channels.

I think the picture quality is great even though I have a diplexor. I still wonder if I'd get better OTA if I didn't have the diplexor though.

I got the Va Va Voom package of course just to check it out to see if I want to keep it and was a little dissapointed that PlayboyHD didn't come in. Damn, I guy can hope can't he. I don't think the wife would go for it if I had to pay extra for it. Oh well.

One more thing, when we were playing with the stb the coax digital out broke off and wouldn't work anymore. He called Voom and told him he could use one he got from a DE-install. He brought that one in and hooked it up, called Voom and we were in service. It had the new software revision on it, but I've had quite a few lockups(which doesn't my the wife too happy.)

Another Happy Voom customer here.

My first experience with the Voom installation was terrible. They were scheduled to arrive anytime from 8am-12pm on March 17th. I called the installation company at least 10 times, each time they assured me that the installer was just slightly delayed and would arrive shortly. Anyway, the installer arrived close to 6pm. Firstly, he had no equipment with him, secondly, he told me that the installation company had only contacted him 20 minutes prior to his arrival, thirdly, it was already dark outside and it was hesitant to let him up on the roof, since it is a dangerous roof in the dark due to duct work etc. Nevertheless, he went up to the roof and arrived back in approximately 5 minutes to tell me that he couldn't do the installation because there wasn't a line of sight. I have had D* since 1995 and have had good reception, I realized that they utilize different sat. at different elevations, but still, he couldn't even seen where he was by time he got here. I also have access to a rooftop next to me that has a greater elevation if necessary. This installation company was terrible and totally untruthful all the way around. I called Voom back to tell them what happened and they said they would send a different company at my request, but I would have to pay for the installation because the other company had stated there was no line of sight. This doesn't sound fair to me. I would like to have this other installation company come out and look, but I don't think that I should have to pay for it.

Voomless in Manhattan :no

I noticed that my installer did not ground my system. Should I tell Voom to come back and ground it?

Also, I put up a large Channel Master Antenna, but still was not able to get any locals on the box. I decided to just forget the locals part because they are so far away, over 70 miles. I took it back down, and retured it to Lowes and got my money back. Voom is supposed to be sending someone to help get the locals on April 12th. I doubt that he can get them if I can't.

Lem52

I would report them to the state electrical board! Not grounding is unforgiveable, if it cant be ground to code the installer should walk away from the job, I have had to do it many times, its just not worth losing your license, you did check his license and SBCA 1+2 certificate? You are taking a BIG risk letting just anyone into your home!!!!! These guys are installing electrical systems to your home! Know your rights and stand your ground, always ask the installer to bring their licence and SBCA certification with them make it CLEAR if they do not bring them the install will not go ahead! I think you will (all) find you will get a better install in the end, OK down off the old soap box! I had to knock back an apartment installation today because there was no grounding point, its no fun : (

Just received a call from the honorable Joe Harkin at Installs, Inc. I was wondering if i was blown off as my original request was a week ago and he started the conversation with a heart-felt apology for his delay. Then we got down to business. After about 10 minutes of him asking some questions and my explaining the actions I have taken, we left it that he would have the installer come back out (scheduled already for Friday, believe it or not) and would bring out a SquareShooter! Amazing customer service! Voom and Install's Inc have their act together! Even if they can't get it to work, this is a quality company and what a customer service experience! GREAT JOB!!!

I still only have 1 of the 5 OTA channels listed in Zap2it mapped. I called the Voom CSR, the CSR got Installs Inc. on the line. They said to do factory resets, I did 5; they said do soft boots (hold power button for 5 secs), I did 5; they said to do hard boots (uplug and plug power cord), I did 5. They then said they would send trips over the phone line while I waited on the phone. I asked them how could they send trips over the phone line if I was still on the phone? While this was all going on, they were asking questions of somebody else. I think both Voom's CSRs and Install Inc's reps are still learning.

johnewhite said:
I still only have 1 of the 5 OTA channels listed in Zap2it mapped. I called the Voom CSR, the CSR got Installs Inc. on the line. They said to do factory resets, I did 5; they said do soft boots (hold power button for 5 secs), I did 5; they said to do hard boots (uplug and plug power cord), I did 5. They then said they would send trips over the phone line while I waited on the phone. I asked them how could they send trips over the phone line if I was still on the phone? While this was all going on, they were asking questions of somebody else. I think both Voom's CSRs and Install Inc's reps are still learning.

John,

follow this thread for OTA mapping problems :

http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=9741

A trip means that they will hit your satellite box by sending a signal through the satellite.

Install postponed once again. Installer called this morning, said he didn't want to risk the installation due to rain. Anyway I have been rescheduled for Saturday afternoon April 3rd. I hate weather.

Need Suggestions - My Voom installation is tomorrow

Here is my deal:
I currently have D* and need to maintain their base service. I am getting Voom installed to tomorrow (fingers are crossed) on 2 set. The way my house is configured, running new wires is not an option for both TVs. D* currently is connected to the COAX inputs into my house.

Now that I am getting VOOM (and I am excited about that), are there any suggested ways to have the installer set this up, to maintain both services w/ minimal wiring? Will they have to use Diplexers? Can they use the Diplexer w/ V*(w/OTA) and D* signals? Are the Diplexer problems mainly associated with OTA reception? I need some suggestions, please. Moreso, I need to understand if this can or cannot work.

Thanks guys in advance.

Mike

You cannot use the same coax for both D* & V* your choice is run another cable or only one of the two services. A diplexer is only to combine OTA & a satellite signal on the same coax, it cannot combine two satellite services.

OK. I've got one for you that I have not previously heard. I had a site survey done yesteday by an installer. He wants to combine the existing cable coax with the sat service. I guess just use a diplexer and use the existing coax already running into the house. That sounds like a horrible way to do it and I'm certainly not inclined to do it that way. Would it even work?(Edit: maybe I should clarify - I'm not disconnecting my cable service as I still have to pay for it through my association fees).

No, a diplexer is for combining OTA and sat only, not sat/sat signals.

Bite the bullet, I have about 6 coax lines coming through the side of my house.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts