VOOM Installations

DarrellP said:
No, a diplexer is for combining OTA and sat only, not sat/sat signals.

Bite the bullet, I have about 6 coax lines coming through the side of my house.

So, this supposed professional installer is flat out nuts? There's no way to use an active cable coax and have the sat feed running through it also? I objected when he suggested it. Told him I didn't think it would work. He insists it will. :no

I Have 5 Lines Coming Into My Place. 3 D* & 2 VOOM. Sat. Needs Its Own Signal & Cant Be Combined & Can Only Be Used On One Receiver

Okay...Okay. I get the message. Thanks for the help, guys.

I guess my only option would be the following:

Since each room has it own seperate COAX lead (4) based on the side of my house, I will use Voom for one of them (master bedroom) and have D* connected to the rest of them. Then I will have the installer run a separate COAX to my HDTV in the living room. I will let them try the Diplexer for the VOOM set-up.

How does this sound?

That'll work. The diplexers they supply are not of the greatest quality and there have been signal level issues reported with them. If you want just a single cable in and want to use diplexers, try your signal strength with and without the diplexers. If there is a big variance, go buy a good pair, they cost about $25 for a decent set. FWIW, I supplied my existing set for my Voom install and they work great.

DarrellP,
Oh that's cheap. I guess any radio shack would be the place to get them?

Thanks for the heads up.

Mike

Here's a link to Rat Shack's diplexer. I lucked out when I ordered mine, they were 2 for 1. If you go to a local store and they have the $5 ones, stay away from them, they are crap.

I do have cable and VOOM going through same coax using the diplexer supplied by VOOM and is working just fine. VOOM signal strength is typically 90 - 94.

Walter.
That sounds great. Are you also using VOOM OTA ant.?
And excuse this question if it is stupid, but can you get high signal strength readings and still have problems with your signal (especially, if you are using a diplexer)?

Installer??

Well I haven't heard anything from anyone but I'm assuming seeing it's raining that nobody will show up for my install tomorrow pm. Voom said Signal Vision is doing the install here in MA. No Installs Inc. :-(( Never heard of the company. So this is the second time my install will be postponed in the past week. Snow is predicted for early next week. This SUCKS! :(

You guys are kidding about not doing installs in the rain. Right?

Here in little ole Seattle or most of Western Wash. and Ore. for that matter if they didn't do installations in the rain just when would they get done? Think anyone who is using the "rain excuse" is doing just that unless they have to work on a steep metal or tile roof.

Under cloudy but rainless (for the moment) Seattle skies, Gill

Hey, "owlbox", it's likely that Signal Vision is being...

subcontracted by Installs, Inc. to do the actual installations. On our first "installation" we had a subcontractor of a subcontractor.

Enjoying VOOM even under cloudy Seattle skies, Gill

Walter L. said:
I do have cable and VOOM going through same coax using the diplexer supplied by VOOM and is working just fine. VOOM signal strength is typically 90 - 94.

Well, ain't that a kick in the pants. So, my installer wasn't as nuts as everyone made it appear (although it still doesn't sound like an optimum setup). How come everyone else says it flat out won't work? :rolleyes:

Walter L. said:

That might be kind of nice if your cable company sends the local digital channels through it's signal. I wish mine offered it. Then I wouldn't need the antenna!

Had my install yesterday. It took 30 minutes, changed D* recievers and D* dish. Existing antenna already installed in the attic. I'll run Rg6 myself for DVR if i ever want that. Picture is INCREDIBLE!

During my install I had OTA signal of 80+ and voom signal of 52%.

The next day Voom went up to 98% but OTA went down to 19% and those channels didn't come in right. I read here to make sure to point the OTA anntenna towards the radio towers. So I did that and now OTA is 90% and the channels that weren't coming in right now work sweet!

I'm rescheduled for 4/7 if it doesn't rain, snow, sleet, earthquake, hurricane, tornado, asteroid, ......... :)

Hello all, first post here. I just looked into Voom over the last couple of days and it seemed to be a no-brainer to drop Cox and pick up Voom. I ordered online last night and have install sked for 4/12 afternoon. Do I still need to get in contact with Installs, Inc. to help ensure everything goes smoothly? I read that in a couple of the very informative FAQ type threads. Thanks guys, and I hope to be hooked up soon. I can't wait to see all this HD that I've been missing out on.

Mike

I'm putting an 8-bay in my attick tonight. Want to test while we have this heavy rain around for OTA. If it's solid I may have the installer skip the outdoor OTA antenna. We'll see. On my Samsung OTA rx I get 8 bars on all the channels with the current antenna and only an occasional drop out in heavy weather. With the gain of the 8-bay maybe I'll be good to go although a foot of snow on the roof next winter....? Maybe I should put the 8-bay outdoors after all. Don't want snow now for test purposes! :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts