VOOM Installations

The installer finally came today, and the install is postponed to Thursday. Apparently due to a line of site issue, one of the only acceptable locations for the dish will be on my garage which is not attached to the house. Because of the distance that the cable run will be the installer said i would need at least one in line amplifier, possibly two. Anyway he said that they are ten bucks extra each, and if I want the line buried its an extra two dollars per foot. He did say that he will be installing two lines, one for the sat signal and one for the OTA signal, instead of using the diplexor, so I guess thats good. So does the price for the in line amp seem right? And does anybody no the position of the satellite from my location, my zip code is 12205? Whats the maximum distance for a run?

I don't know what to do anymore?

Obvoiusly Voom doesn't want my money. I've had to reschudule three times becasue V* and installs inc. have had their thumbs . . . you know.

I called V* no one is picking up. Called installs inc. they said, "Uhh the tech won't pick up the phone. I don't know what to do now" Good freakin answer.

This really isn't fair.

I also email Joe H. from cablevision concerning the last two install failures. He assured me that it would happen for real this time. BS, BS, BS. I assure you that that are all Asses.

Hey, "carpedsign", get yourself on over to the "other" forum...

at Yahoo/VOOM and post to "Wilt" who works directly for VOOM. He keeps close track of posts there and will get you to someone who will resolve your problem concerning installation. After a poor (actually, very poor) installation he saved VOOM's bacon and now we are very happy VOOMers here in Seattle.

Not watching HDTV in Seattle as the skies are clear and it is a weekend, Gill

Hello everyone,

My 1st post is not a happy one. Installers came and installed Voom I was not home wife was but everything went OK I thought? When I got home no OTA,
8VSB module, Component cables or DVI-D cable, Long phone cable, Phone splitter or VOOM welcome package. Which from what I read should have been included? So I come in and check it out from what I see easy install used cables left from Dish. HD looks great SD not to happy with but can live with it then I go and check locals nothing. So I call Voom tell them the deal on the locals they said will send someone out to check it, guy never showed! Called Voom back there was a mix-up in the paper work (1st day of work missed) can deal with it. Next time shows up 20mins late (8:00 - 12:00) OK at least he showed. Asks what the problem was I tell him no OTA setup so I turn it on for him he does not know how to get into the settings I show him. He really had know idea what he was looking for. So we go out back to take a look he says no Antenna I said right. He calls his boss he wants to talk to me and says even if you had Vooms Antenna it would not work in my location I say how would you know this without hooking it up? He say because your over so miles from nearest broadcast I said there is a local antenna on the highest mountain in the state 6 miles from my house! He said will have to call Voom to get permission for a better antenna which is fine with me but in the mean time I miss (2nd day of work) and the installer did not have a ladder big enough to reach to put up antenna if he even had one with him which I did not see! So I call Voom back tell them what went on said they were sorry, and I would get a call within the hour from the installer 24 hours later no call so I call them and leave a message no response back yet. Sorry if I sound like a cry baby.

mtuller said:
The installer finally came today, and the install is postponed to Thursday. Apparently due to a line of site issue, one of the only acceptable locations for the dish will be on my garage which is not attached to the house. Because of the distance that the cable run will be the installer said i would need at least one in line amplifier, possibly two. Anyway he said that they are ten bucks extra each, and if I want the line buried its an extra two dollars per foot. He did say that he will be installing two lines, one for the sat signal and one for the OTA signal, instead of using the diplexor, so I guess thats good. So does the price for the in line amp seem right? And does anybody no the position of the satellite from my location, my zip code is 12205? Whats the maximum distance for a run?

Forget the line amps. They don't work. If the distance is not more than 180 feet or so, and, if the installer uses decent rg6 cable, you should be fine. If you want to do it yourself, before the installer comes, you can save the money for burying the cable, by going to Lowes and buying 100 feet of one inch black polyethylene water pipe (one piece)($15) and burying it between the house and the garage. Also buy a 100 ft electrical fish tape, that you can return later, if you don't use it. I am almost sure that the installer does not have and will not use "direct burial" cable, so the the polyethylene pipe is your best option. Buried 6 inches deep, this would be ideal in your situation. This is basically the same material that makes up the outer jacket of "direct burial cable"

You could use grey PVC conduit, but that takes more work and is not necessary for low voltage work. Belden recommends the "polyethylene pipe" for burial in earth and embedding in concrete. Also, it helps in case of future replacement or if an additional cable is needed.

I am a professional installer and would welcome such preparation on a home owner.

CrAnK said:
Hello everyone,

My 1st post is not a happy one. Installers came and installed Voom I was not home wife was but everything went OK I thought? When I got home no OTA,
8VSB module, Component cables or DVI-D cable, Long phone cable, Phone splitter or VOOM welcome package. Which from what I read should have been included? So I come in and check it out from what I see easy install used cables left from Dish. HD looks great SD not to happy with but can live with it then I go and check locals nothing. So I call Voom tell them the deal on the locals they said will send someone out to check it, guy never showed! Called Voom back there was a mix-up in the paper work (1st day of work missed) can deal with it. Next time shows up 20mins late (8:00 - 12:00) OK at least he showed. Asks what the problem was I tell him no OTA setup so I turn it on for him he does not know how to get into the settings I show him. He really had know idea what he was looking for. So we go out back to take a look he says no Antenna I said right. He calls his boss he wants to talk to me and says even if you had Vooms Antenna it would not work in my location I say how would you know this without hooking it up? He say because your over so miles from nearest broadcast I said there is a local antenna on the highest mountain in the state 6 miles from my house! He said will have to call Voom to get permission for a better antenna which is fine with me but in the mean time I miss (2nd day of work) and the installer did not have a ladder big enough to reach to put up antenna if he even had one with him which I did not see! So I call Voom back tell them what went on said they were sorry, and I would get a call within the hour from the installer 24 hours later no call so I call them and leave a message no response back yet. Sorry if I sound like a cry baby.

Welcome,

Go to www.antennaweb.org and find out how far you are from transmitter and see the direction as well. Select digital only. Let us know.

Hey Sean,

Not sure if this is what you need or not ?

yellow - uhf WCDC-DT 19.1 ABC ADAMS MA 229° 5.8 36
green - uhf WCDC 19 ABC ADAMS MA 228° 5.8 19
blue - uhf W38DL 38 NBC ADAMS, ETC. MA 229° 5.8 38
violet - vhf WRGB 6 CBS SCHENECTADY NY 278° 45.5 6
violet - vhf WNYT 13 NBC ALBANY NY 296° 27.2 13
violet - vhf WTEN 10 ABC ALBANY NY 279° 45.6 10
violet - uhf WXXA 23 FOX ALBANY NY 277° 46.5 23
violet - uhf WMHT 17 PBS SCHENECTADY NY 279° 45.8 17

CrAnK said:
Hey Sean,

Not sure if this is what you need or not ?

yellow - uhf WCDC-DT 19.1 ABC ADAMS MA 229° 5.8 36
green - uhf WCDC 19 ABC ADAMS MA 228° 5.8 19
blue - uhf W38DL 38 NBC ADAMS, ETC. MA 229° 5.8 38
violet - vhf WRGB 6 CBS SCHENECTADY NY 278° 45.5 6
violet - vhf WNYT 13 NBC ALBANY NY 296° 27.2 13
violet - vhf WTEN 10 ABC ALBANY NY 279° 45.6 10
violet - uhf WXXA 23 FOX ALBANY NY 277° 46.5 23
violet - uhf WMHT 17 PBS SCHENECTADY NY 279° 45.8 17

Yes. It looks like you might need something stronger than the Stealth Antenna. Ask VOOM to get you a stronger antenna. Your installer was just lazy. You may also try Joe Harkins or Wilt to request this. Let me get their emails, I will post on this same post.

Here they are: "Joe Harkins" <jharkins@installs.com> and "Wilt Hildenbrand" <wilth@optonline.net>. Try Joe first and if you are not successful with Joe in getting an upgraded antenna, send an email to Wilt. You will get a response from Joe on Monday as I do not think he works on Sundays.

Hey CrAnk,

Sounds like you are in my neck of the woods, Albany. Who was your installer? The guy who is doing mine works for United installations, his name is Brian. Anyway, you should have no problem, I would think, getting the OTA channels. I know CBS(6) and NBC(13) both broadcast off the same tower in Schenectady, and the current ABC channel comes from North Adams, MA. I'll let you know what happens when he comes back on Thursday with the OTA's.

Mike500: I thought the distance was something like 100 feet, I'm gonna measure but I think its only 80' for the run from my living room to the garage. Thanks for the info on the burying of the line.

My installation here is scheduled for this Monday. The forecast here in North N.J. is for high winds- I guess I wouldn't blame them if they cancelled. :)

I'd give anything to be able (if approved by Voom) to do this install myself.

In the meantime, does anyone think running quad-shield RG-6 and ground wire to the dish location will be welcomed by the installer? I have a lot of good coax left over from other work here and would like to make their job as quick and painless as possible. The dish location on the roof is not a fun area to work.

I'm thinking they may have a policy not to use the customers wire..

Regards,
Dave

Ok,just ordered VOOM

Well after reading about VOOM from all the posts on this forum i just got off the phone from ordering.The install is 4-09-04 between 12 and 5.I am nervous after reading all the scary installations.Right now all i have is c-band 10 ft. dish for tv on my MITSU. 55" with only sd programming.So i am excited also,wish me luck everyone.

Install by "Satellite Solutions"?

Finally ordered VOOM, and am scheduled for install this Thursday. Installs, Inc. evidently didn't have an installer in my area (southwestern VT), so reassigned to Satellite Solutions out of Michigan.

Didn't find any info on a forum search for this company, any other Voomers had them do an install?

Any "inside" contacts there similar to Joe Harkins at Installs?

TIA,

Peter

When I took the I.Inc. Voom certification course we were told in no uncertain terms that we have to decline help from customers, but that is just a recommendation, in the field I never refuse any help, as often customers know their own home better than I ever could, running some rg6 coax and ground (remember the dish has to be ground also folks,is yours?)will help but, it will mean if something goes wrong they will blame the customers cable run, makes a change! Its usually the installer who is the first to be blamed! Good luck to this weeks Voom installations!

Well, the installer was here this afternoon between 1:30 and 2:45. He called about an hour before arriving. The job is done and it seems to work nicely. He had no problem letting me help him, and he even asked if I had any cable run yet. :shocked I drilled a few holes and pulled some wire.

I guess if I drilled through a water pipe in my house, nobody could blame him :D

His attitude was very good, friendly yet business-like and didn't appear to be rushed.

We had to put the dish on the front section of my roof to clear the trees, not on the back hidden from the street
:( but what the hey.

The PQ on my older D-ila projector is okay, looks pretty much as good as my Directv-HD, but I'll be changing the component hook-up over to RGB with a transcoder, I'll see how that works later.
The Motorola box is weird, but that's to be expected for the time being ;) .

I'll be going crazy with remote controls for awhile, comparing my Comcast HD, Directv HD and now Voom!
Anyway, I'm pleased with it so far.
David

Finally bit the bullet today went ahead and ordered Voom(VaVAVoom package with Playboy HD)today. My installation is scheduled for Monday morning 8am-12pm. I know to get two lines one from the lnb and the other from the ota antenna any other things to know before Monday? How do you find out who is doing the install?

Richard Fuller said:
Finally bit the bullet today went ahead and ordered Voom(VaVAVoom package with Playboy HD)today. My installation is scheduled for Monday morning 8am-12pm. I know to get two lines one from the lnb and the other from the ota antenna any other things to know before Monday? How do you find out who is doing the install?

The day after I ordered Voom, Installs Inc emailed me with the local installers info.