VOOM Installations

Sean Mota

SatelliteGuys Master
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
New York City
butlers said:
Anyway......My Voom service started working a couple of hours ago. I'm not getting the 21 exclusive channels. voom said it was system wide.

Great! Thanks for letting us know. Did you have to do anything additional steps or it just started working?

butlers

SatelliteGuys Family
Feb 26, 2004
I can now watch Voom! Kind Of!

:rolleyes: Ok Voom was able to get my service up and running today, but I am only getting the mainstream channels, no 21 exclusive channels.I am pleased with the picture quality of the mainstream HD channels. I see a slight improvement over E* for both SD and HD. That could be because V* is hooked up through a DVI cable they supplied. I got 2 boxes so I actually got 2 DVI cables. I thought that was pretty sweet.I also am now able to pick up Fox over the air, a first. Now the only thing I'm waiting on is some sports channels. ESPN HD, INHD 1&2, and Regional Fox Sports. If these are added I will not look back from V*. ESPN needs to come soon though because It will only take me a couple of days to start getting Sportscenter withdrawl.

A few questions.........Isthere going to be any upgrades that will allow more aspect ratio control. The E* 811 had some good stretch modes, especially the one that allowed me to stretch my locals when they were'nt showing HD to get rid of the black bars off the sides without loosing to much picture or quality.That would be nice with the V* box.

Also while changing channels there is a light green screen that momentarily appears before the programming appears. Is there going to be a fix for that?

Also the signal meters for both sat and OTA are wierd. My Sat signal strength is only 55 and V* says that is excellent. OK and the OTA has 2 things Signal Quality and Signal Strength, none of mine are real high but I am getting the stations. What Do I need to do to get them to fix my locals. They don't have 4.1 ABC or 49.1,2, and 3 PBS, all which I can recieve.

Sean Mota

SatelliteGuys Master
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
New York City
The stretch modes is not something that is being worked on now. I haven't heard anything about this. About the momentary green screen, do you mean the that it takes sometime before it tunes the channel? I believe this is being worked on. 55 satellite strentgh is good. Do not compare to E*. They are using a different scale. Mine alternates between 53 and 60. About your locals: go to this website put your zipcode and see if your local stations are mapped:

http://tvlistings4.zap2it.com/cabdbs/grid.asp?partner_id=cabdbs

If they are not mapped, then VOOM needs to map them for you. If that's the case, send me an email to Sean_mota@satelliteguys.us with your address, telephone number and zipcode and I'll send that request to the guy who is doing the mapping.

Ragnar

Feb 28, 2004
Install Done!

The install went well for the most part. I have a 39 for signal strength (I live in N part of ND). I have composite video feeding the TV, I can't get the DVI to work :mad: I have a Mits 65613 and I think I have the DVI setup correct, if anyone has any ideas I would apprciate it! The PQ is still awsome! :D I did have the same activation problems as the guys on Friday did, but we got them fixed. *FYI* The biggest problem was that VOOM tried to charge my credit card more than $800 :shocked They wanted to charge me full price, not rental price I was very happy that my credit card company called to see if I authorized the purchase, NO! I think we have that fixed now. Other than that, I am very happy with the product! Thanks again for all the info!

Ragnar

Feb 28, 2004
Install Done

The install went well for the most part. I have a 39 for signal strength (I live in N part of ND). I have composite video feeding the TV, I can't get the DVI to work :( I have a Mits 65613 and I think I have the DVI setup correct, if anyone has any ideas I would appreciate it! The PQ is still awesome! I did have the same activation problems as the guys on Friday did, but we got them fixed. *FYI* The biggest problem was that VOOM tried to charge my credit card more than $800 :shocked They wanted to charge me full price, not rental price :eek: I was very happy that my credit card company called to see if I authorized the purchase, NO! I think we have that fixed now. Other than that, I am very happy with the product! Thanks again for all the info!

Sean Mota

SatelliteGuys Master
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
New York City
Ragnar,

you mean component right? What's the native resolution of your Mits 65613 and at what resolution you have the Voom receiver set?

WLong

SatelliteGuys Pro
Supporting Founder
Jan 28, 2004
subdude212 said:
I haven't seen it yet but you opinion does appear to be held by a majority of HD viewers. I've heard that there is much upconverting, few true HD broadcasts and generally a PQ that doesn't compare to other HD stations. Having said all that I'm probably like most and would like to get ESPN because having something is better than nothing and I'd hold out hope that the quality issues could be resolved in the future.

Let's hope so. :)

WLong

SatelliteGuys Pro
Supporting Founder
Jan 28, 2004
I don't have a Mitsu TV, but my Hitachi TV didnt need any configuration for the DVI. My DVI shares an input with a Component Video connection. I removed the DVD player from that Component connection and plugged my DISH Network 811 into the DVI. As a precaution, I removed all of the other video out's that were plugged in (SVideo).

Can you describe the problem with the DVI in more detail?

Ragnar

Feb 28, 2004
I got it to work, just one setting I needed to set. Thanks for the help guys, the picture on V* is great. If they would add some more channels, (espn and others)this thing would almost be perfect. Thanks Again!

GeneWildershair

SatelliteGuys Pro
Feb 28, 2004
Bay Area
first post, (hopefully new voomer)

Well I went ahead and called up voom to set me up with their equipment. I'm in Northern California, so it's a hit or miss thing I guess, when it comes to getting a good signal with Voom's satellite. I'm really hoping it works out, as I have been spoiled by what HD I can recieve, and am getting to the point where sd just doesn't get much of my tv time anymore. I guess you could say I've been bitten by the HD bug. :D Voom seems to offer so much HD programming it makes me smile just looking at there program guide via their website! Also I would like to say I am really happy to find this place, after reading many of your posts, it seems there are a lot of helpful, and informative folks around these parts. It's a pleasure to be among you. Anyways, wish me luck on the install, I know I've got my fingers crossed.

rang1995

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Sep 30, 2003
Bergen co NJ
welcome..the way things are going the last few weeks this should be a full grown service by the end of spring.you may still benifit with more free services

rang1995

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Sep 30, 2003
Bergen co NJ
Oh and remember the installers are just installers,be it for VOOM or D* or from an electronics store setting up a large screen plasma etc (yes the same guys do that) they are not Brain surgeons.Make sure they dont rush off untill all is ok or dont sign..It took me a few trips for all to be OK.It's actually cheaper for VOOM if everybody was more demanding of these guys.. good luck and welcome

butlers

SatelliteGuys Family
Feb 26, 2004
Mr.Mota

Question about OTA reception. I am now getting Fox for the first time. The wierd thing is my OTA signal quality is only 25 and OTA signal strength is only 25. I couldn't get any OTA under 60 on E*. Is there a reason for this. What is the threshhold for V*.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)