VOOM Installations

Yeah I was pretty excited about more HD.

Its fitting however. The only broadband I can get out here is Verizon DSL. The only cell company that works at my house is Nextel. The only DBS provider at my house seems to be DISH Network.

Now I just have to pray VOOM will get some content on a Sat. in the 100-120 range.

Install finished

Install went OK except I cant get anything OTA. Installer said it is a mapping problem. He didnt want to get involved. Said his job is to install dish and get it working. I was going to give him 50 bucks to help him defray the travel time as there were 2 guys here for 21/2 hours. Sean, any help you could give me would be really appreciated as you know more than these guys. I live In Bethlehem CT 06751 Should get WTNHDT 8.1, WEDWDT 49.1, WCTXDT 59.1
WTICDT 61.1, WTXXDT 20.1, don't think I can get WFSBDT 3.1 while they are at low power. WVITDT 30.1 is supposed to be on the end of the week, should be able to get them also. Thanks Sean.

WLong said:
Yeah I was pretty excited about more HD.

Its fitting however. The only broadband I can get out here is Verizon DSL. The only cell company that works at my house is Nextel. The only DBS provider at my house seems to be DISH Network.

Now I just have to pray VOOM will get some content on a Sat. in the 100-120 range.
PRoblem is if they move to 100-120 i can't get it as others cant thats why i have VOOM had to give up Dish..can't please everyobe with these locations

pmalve said:
Install went OK except I cant get anything OTA. Installer said it is a mapping problem. He didnt want to get involved. Said his job is to install dish and get it working. I was going to give him 50 bucks to help him defray the travel time as there were 2 guys here for 21/2 hours. Sean, any help you could give me would be really appreciated as you know more than these guys. I live In Bethlehem CT 06751 Should get WTNHDT 8.1, WEDWDT 49.1, WCTXDT 59.1
WTICDT 61.1, WTXXDT 20.1, don't think I can get WFSBDT 3.1 while they are at low power. WVITDT 30.1 is supposed to be on the end of the week, should be able to get them also. Thanks Sean.

It looks like you are only missing WTICDT 61.1 & WFSBDT 3.1 based on the mapping on this site

http://tvlistings4.zap2it.com/cabdbs/grid.asp?partner_id=cabdbs

Are you able to see any of these in your PG or you are not seeing them at all.

rang1995 said:
PRoblem is if they move to 100-120 i can't get it as others cant thats why i have VOOM had to give up Dish..can't please everyobe with these locations

Couldnt they have the same content on two satellites? 61.5 for the East Coast folks, and 100-120 for the West Coast folks?

Why are there no satellites over the pacific ocean area anyhow?

pmalve said:
Not seeing anything, If I put channel 8 it goes to the voom info channel
WFSBDT is on the site you put up. Just missing WTICDT on there, but getting nothing out of reciever.

pmalve said:
Not seeing anything, If I put channel 8 it goes to the voom info channel

What about if you press VOOM button and press ALL CHannels and browse the guide up/down do you see the locals. Do not put the number 8 because it does not know if it is 8.1 or 8.2 or 8-1 or 8-2.

Don't know if this means anything Sean, but in the voom channel guide it shows 0-4
0-8 0-10

pmalve said:
Don't know if this means anything Sean, but in the voom channel guide it shows 0-4
0-8 0-10

Actually, this is good information. It probably means that you need a factory reset but let me inquire about as information changes fast. I will let you know one way or the other today.

Sean Mota said:
Actually, this is good information. It probably means that you need a factory reset but let me inquire about as information changes fast. I will let you know one way or the other today.
Thanks for your help. you can email me at pmalve@charter.net. Must say am very impressed with picture quality on HD channels. Have Rave on now, nice jam sets. Did side by side comparison with my hdcable and the pictures are identical. Used HBO for comparison. SD picture not so good in 1080I. Wish there was a way to change output from remote as it doesnt look bad in 480p.
Nice thing though is when watching SD channels box must stretch picture because it fills up my16:9 screen.

GeneWildershair said:
I'm now waiting for my installer to get here. Thanks for the info on the second coax line, Sean!

Good luck Jay! My last resort for a VOOM install will require me to take a handsaw to my neighbors Cedar tree... which isnt going to happen.

pmalve said:
Thanks for your help. you can email me at pmalve@charter.net. Must say am very impressed with picture quality on HD channels. Have Rave on now, nice jam sets. Did side by side comparison with my hdcable and the pictures are identical. Used HBO for comparison. SD picture not so good in 1080I. Wish there was a way to change output from remote as it doesnt look bad in 480p.
Nice thing though is when watching SD channels box must stretch picture because it fills up my16:9 screen.

do a factory reset. I confirmed this.

VOOM Factory Reset

Press the following buttons on the remote control unit:
a. VOOM
b. Green Button (To access Options and Settings screen)
c. Select "System Settings" menu option
d. Select option 8 "Installation Settings"
e. Press "9 8 8" on the remote control unit.
f. The "System Configuration" menu will have the following options:
(1) Manual Tune
(2 SD Audio & Video Test
(3) HD Audio & Video Test
(4) Modem Setup & Test
(5) Authorization Reset
(6) Factory Reset
(7) Audio Test Mode

Press "6" to initiate the reset.

The Factory Reset causes the set-top box to clear most non-volatile memory and take the set-top box back to a factory initialized state. Upon completion of the reset, the set-top box returns to the System Configuration menu.

Please allow 10 minutes for the box to fully reset and reacquire guide data. Some viewers have reported needing to power cycle the box (front panel "power") and/or toggle resolution modes using the red button behind the lower right front panel door (when second light bar from the top is lit, that is 780i, which is often the optimum setting).

you may have to reboot after factory reset. Also, I believe that after factory reset, the box defaults to 720p, so you need to change the resolution with the red button in front of the receiver. Let me know how it goes.

Sean Mota said:
do a factory reset. I confirmed this.

VOOM Factory Reset

Press the following buttons on the remote control unit:
a. VOOM
b. Green Button (To access Options and Settings screen)
c. Select "System Settings" menu option
d. Select option 8 "Installation Settings"
e. Press "9 8 8" on the remote control unit.
f. The "System Configuration" menu will have the following options:
(1) Manual Tune
(2 SD Audio & Video Test
(3) HD Audio & Video Test
(4) Modem Setup & Test
(5) Authorization Reset
(6) Factory Reset
(7) Audio Test Mode

Press "6" to initiate the reset.

The Factory Reset causes the set-top box to clear most non-volatile memory and take the set-top box back to a factory initialized state. Upon completion of the reset, the set-top box returns to the System Configuration menu.

Please allow 10 minutes for the box to fully reset and reacquire guide data. Some viewers have reported needing to power cycle the box (front panel "power") and/or toggle resolution modes using the red button behind the lower right front panel door (when second light bar from the top is lit, that is 780i, which is often the optimum setting).

you may have to reboot after factory reset. Also, I believe that after factory reset, the box defaults to 720p, so you need to change the resolution with the red button in front of the receiver. Let me know how it goes.

Thanks Sean, I don't know what I would do without this forum.

Install Complete

My install went well today with a small hitch- the stealth antenna did not have the correct amplifier in the box so the installer will be back out on Friday. The installer was very courteous, did a good job and I received a call from the installer company after he left confirming they would be out with the amp and wanted to make sure I was happy with my install so far.

My quick initial impressions -awesome!

Picture quality on HDTV channels is oustanding. Compared to the C-band programming I still have, I don't see any differences in quality. The SD quality varies, I think the worse ones are Spike TV, BET, TLC.

The guide is very quick.

My favs so far are HDN and Monsters.

That guy on channel 999 is REALLY annoying.

Thats it for now.

stevegs1 said:
My install went well today with a small hitch- the stealth antenna did not have the correct amplifier in the box so the installer will be back out on Friday. The installer was very courteous, did a good job and I received a call from the installer company after he left confirming they would be out with the amp and wanted to make sure I was happy with my install so far.

My quick initial impressions -awesome!

Picture quality on HDTV channels is oustanding. Compared to the C-band programming I still have, I don't see any differences in quality. The SD quality varies, I think the worse ones are Spike TV, BET, TLC.

The guide is very quick.

My favs so far are HDN and Monsters.

That guy on channel 999 is REALLY annoying.

Thats it for now.

Good to hear Steve! I just had my install finished about 2 hours ago, and I'm really enjoying all the HD channels Voom has to offer! All I can say is WOW! :D BTW I hope the OTA antenna works out for ya, I am getting everything I possibly can OTA with it! My network antennas are all about 30 miles away from, and with the amplifier equipped the antenna has no problem getting 100% signal strength from all of them. The only problem is my box is mapped for San Francisco stations, that I cannot recieve even with a huge antenna, so I had to use my directv box for my OTA! I really need the Sacramento stations mapped to my box, but right now it's no biggie. Hopefully your box is mapped with the right channels!

Sean maybe you can offer some advice. Sorry it took me so long to respond, but my standard definition channels look awful, worse then on basic cable, everything is pixelated. The colors are awful, often there are 5 different skin tones on someones face, usually a lot of red, but I can see little squares all over the place. My signal is bouncing from 32 to 40. At this point I've called Voom and someone else is coming out friday morning to see if they can solve my problem and maybe get the signal higher. I live on the Florida coast, next to a huge river, there are no trees taller then 20 feet, and they're nowhere near the dish. What's even more confusing is that the high def channels come in flawlessly. I promise I'm not placing too high expectations on the standard def channels but these just look awful, MTV is probably the worst. MY OTA channels are all there but the numbers aren't right, but as long as they all come in clear I'm ok with it. Is there anything else I can do other than wait and hope Install INC can fix it? You think it's just my weak signal even though the high def channels are clear? I'm so confused! Thanks for any help guys.
Justin

mestguy182 said:
Sean maybe you can offer some advice. Sorry it took me so long to respond, but my standard definition channels look awful, worse then on basic cable, everything is pixelated. The colors are awful, often there are 5 different skin tones on someones face, usually a lot of red, but I can see little squares all over the place. My signal is bouncing from 32 to 40. At this point I've called Voom and someone else is coming out friday morning to see if they can solve my problem and maybe get the signal higher. I live on the Florida coast, next to a huge river, there are no trees taller then 20 feet, and they're nowhere near the dish. What's even more confusing is that the high def channels come in flawlessly. I promise I'm not placing too high expectations on the standard def channels but these just look awful, MTV is probably the worst. MY OTA channels are all there but the numbers aren't right, but as long as they all come in clear I'm ok with it. Is there anything else I can do other than wait and hope Install INC can fix it? You think it's just my weak signal even though the high def channels are clear? I'm so confused! Thanks for any help guys.
Justin

I'll wait for the installer to check your signal. Also, have him check your coax ends and your LNBs; that's not write the SD channels are pixelated at all. Are you using the correct resolution for your HDTV?

Hey Sean,
I was wondering if you could help me out.
What is the furthest mileage you think you could get OTA HD Signals? None of the local channels broadcast and the closest signal is out of Tyler which is about 70 miles away. Is that stupid of me to think I could Possibly get those signals with a kick ass OTA antenna?
thanks for your time

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)