VOOM Installations

SSN671 said:
the installer insists they have to follow the work order which requires use of a single line and diplexer. And, of course, the work order is from Installs, Inc.?!
If I were in your shoes even if I had to pay upfront an extra charge I'd have the guy install two separate lines. Installs upper management to me appears to be quite fair and reasonable and I'd present them with the bill for the upcharge and request a reimbursement immediately. I say this because it will be another day out of your life if you have to ask for an installer to come back to run the second line. I think Installs, Inc. will come through for you in the end.

subdude, thanks, I will do that if necessary....certainly costing me a lot more to be away from work. I am at a fairly large distance from the towers and will need all the signal strength I can get. I am very impressed already with Joe Harkins of Installs, Inc., and its good to hear your vote of confidence.

SSN671 said:
I am very impressed already with Joe Harkins of Installs, Inc., and its good to hear your vote of confidence.
Installs gets kicked around here a bit but I have never had anything but top notch service and proactive service which is a shocker. A few weeks ago I casually mentioned that I was having difficulty picking up a particular local station and I had an email within minutes of my post from the regional Installs Inc. rep asking when they could send someone out to my house to get it fixed. The installer that came to my house for my initial install came during a blizzard. I had to convince him that being up on a ladder in such weather was a bad idea. To top it off he was a genuinely nice guy. Oh well, everyone's mileage varies I guess. Good luck with your install.

I am in Chicago. I just got off the phone with Adant, the install contractor that will be doing my sytem on saturday. I asked about not using hte Diplexor and running 4 lines (getting two boxes) after a long hold he came back and said "the problem with the diplexer, was the one that is on the back of the voom box. we are using an outdoor diplexor and bypassing the voom one" he also said that people in chicago have had it done this way for a week or so and he has no reported problems. Also asked about over-amping the OTA signals because i am so close to the towers. he said "they will hook up the amp and if it causes problems they will remove it" - hope all go's well

Huh? I thought the outside diplexer at the dish combines the signals onto one cable and the one on the box subsequently separates the two (sat and OTA) signals. How could they use just one? Maybe they put in another at the inlet?

Seanb61 said:
I am in Chicago. I just got off the phone with Adant, the install contractor that will be doing my sytem on saturday. I asked about not using hte Diplexor and running 4 lines (getting two boxes) after a long hold he came back and said "the problem with the diplexer, was the one that is on the back of the voom box. we are using an outdoor diplexor and bypassing the voom one" he also said that people in chicago have had it done this way for a week or so and he has no reported problems. Also asked about over-amping the OTA signals because i am so close to the towers. he said "they will hook up the amp and if it causes problems they will remove it" - hope all go's well

Sean - Adant just finished by install. No diplexer. Ran 4 separate lines.

Does anyone know...

My install just finished and it went well. Everything seems to be working EXCEPT that my locals do not appear. My installer said they don't appear to be mapped to the receiver. He said to wait 24 hours and see if they show up, and if not to call Voom. I think he just wanted to leave. Is there any sense in waiting 24 hours, or do I call Voom now?

Hmm... they only have a few of my locals in there. 2/4 that are digital. One is several months old, and the other is only about a month old.

Any idea how often V* updates their lists?

1080i or 720p ?

Just installed today. I have a Samsung HLN567w which converts everything to 720p. Therefore, should I change the VOOM receiver to 720p so the TV doesn't have to convert? Or, should I leave at 1080i and let the TV convert?

(It's my understanding that the Red button will cycle, and 1080i is top lighted bar and 720p is next lighted bar. Right?)

Tim

Sean Mota said:
Go here and put your zipcode to find if they are already mapped

http://tvlistings4.zap2it.com/cabdbs/grid.asp?partner_id=cabdbs

Let me know...

Sean - I called tonight and the guy seemed very unsure and unfamiliar with my issue (local channels). He didn't even know what package I had until I prompted him to pull up my account. He said that he thinks my locals will download tonight in the middle of the night, but seemed like he was guessing.

faithntim said:
Just installed today. I have a Samsung HLN567w which converts everything to 720p. Therefore, should I change the VOOM receiver to 720p so the TV doesn't have to convert? Or, should I leave at 1080i and let the TV convert?
There is no definite answer. Both 1080i and 720p will look great, but which one of them will look better depends on too many different things. Try both, and decide for yourself.
(It's my understanding that the Red button will cycle, and 1080i is top lighted bar and 720p is next lighted bar. Right?)
Correct.

VOOM Coming Again?

In an odd twist of events, a local VOOM installer will be coming to my house again (this is installer number 3...) to do an install.

I may be able to get my neighbor to agree to me trimming 5 of the branches of his god sized Cedar tree back so we can get the DISH to clear.

Does anyone have any idea how I could trim these branches that are about 25 feet off the ground? I know I could use a ladder... but I would need a trimmer that could reach well beyond the end of the ladder.

Part III of my VOOM install is on the 9th.

Thoughts anyone?

Bill

Sean you just do it all my friend. :)

Not sure what you mean though. Can you give me some more information on this idea?

Bill

faithntim said:
Sean - I called tonight and the guy seemed very unsure and unfamiliar with my issue (local channels). He didn't even know what package I had until I prompted him to pull up my account. He said that he thinks my locals will download tonight in the middle of the night, but seemed like he was guessing.

When you bring the PG which locals does it show? Any?

You need the tree pruner. Check Here

I do this all the time.

use to reach branches without a ladder. Comes with a lopper blade to cut small branches (up to 1 1/8 inches in diameter) and a saw blade for larger branches

right_tool.gif

I can get a pruner that will cut branches that are about 25+ feet high?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)