VOOM Installations

1080iWannabe said:
Hey, great report! A few more like that and I'll order too. Enjoy your HD! :wave

Thanks 1080i.

When the time is right for you, jump aboard!

Bill

This sounds like a business to get IN to, if you believe in providing good service. Sure seems to be a demand FOR it, and a shortage OF it, at least in some areas.

Lob

Can I ask what company did the install? Im in a suburb of Buffalo and I wonder if it would be the same people. Intertech is the biggest installer of dishes around here but I dont know if they are doing Voom.

Well Melissa came through for me big time. She contacted INSTANT-LATIONS out of Akron and they came for the install on very short notice. These guys were great. They climbed my steep wet roof to put the dish in an obscure optimal place. It was no problem for them to do separate runs for the dish and OTA antenna to avoid the diplexer. They were very professional and wanted to do a job that I would be happy with.

Towards the end of the installation the sky got very cloudy and the weather turned bad. My signal is a little weak and I have had some reception problems [pixelation etc], but I can see that with some tweaking that I am going to enjoy my VOOM experience. Am eager to check my signal strength when the weather improves.

Joe Harkins of INSTALLS INC has returned my email and is willing to answer any questions or deal with any problems that I encounter. Some extra effort by a few people turned what started as a very unpleasant day into a successful install.

I've been reading about some installation horror stories, which have me a little nervous about my upcoming install this saturday. I haven't heard from my installer yet either, but I did receive an email from Install Inc. stating that my installer is Southern Satellite And Audio Inc. Anyone have any experience with them? I guess I'll giving them a call in the morning and make sure we are all set for saturday.

Grumpy1,

Glad that everything turned out to be good for you... Try to get the weak signal fixed. At least you should get it into 40's... Anything we can do, let us know...

SatelliteGAL said:
Can I ask what company did the install? Im in a suburb of Buffalo and I wonder if it would be the same people. Intertech is the biggest installer of dishes around here but I dont know if they are doing Voom.

InstallsInc is headquartered right here in Buffalo SatGal. When I called InstallInc I asked what company was going to do it. They told me the guy they were sending worked for them.

Theres was nothing on his truck advertising any company. The installers name was Kevin DeGeorge.

Bill

omard. said:
Is anyone running Voom from there E* 61.5 Dish?

I'm reusing my 61.5 E* dish. Just went arround the switch with barrel connectors and swapped two receivers. Working like a charm.

The Voom dish is stashed in the attic.

yeah I had mine installed wen. by another guy from installs inc.I m in buffalo also,went real good but after he left I had to go out and adjust the stealth so I could get all the locals.

lurch said:
yeah I had mine installed wen. by another guy from installs inc.I m in buffalo also,went real good but after he left I had to go out and adjust the stealth so I could get all the locals.

Good to hear it went well with you.

Let me ask you (just for confirmation) which OTA channels you have mapped. I presently have WIVB CBS as 4.1,4.2 & 4.3 and PBS as 17.1, 17.2 and 17.3 and then finally NBC as 2.1. Same line-up for you with FOX 29.1 and 29.2 and no ABC 7.1 showing up?

Bill

Thanks guys. Its great to know that our area is apparently one of the good install areas. That eliminates one more hesitation about jumping on voom for me.
ABC is only testing during the day and it looks really bad at the moment... or at least it did the last time I looked.

Installation? Yeah right!

Vince2 said:
I think Installs Inc is a joke. VOOM should schedule their own installers (like the cable companies). They should also allow for customers to do their own installations and only call for help (with a small fee) if needed. After all, most of us here could do a hugely better job.

Installation took place... however the voom book says the installer will:
Install and connect your dish and off-air antenna to your satellite box,
Connect the satellite box to your home theatre,
Configure system for optimal performance, and
Program the voom remote for your tv/vcr.

When I asked installer about connecting the phone line he told me I could do it myself...
More irritating is that when I asked installer to connect the audio with an optical cord, which I had, I was told I would have to figure that out myself... leaving me with an analog audio connection cord connected with red and white connected and the yellow cord dangling...

I don't consider this configuring systme for optimal performance.

I spoke to Jeremy Schmidt on the day of "installation" on 3-11-04 at 4:55 pm and was told I should try to contact the installer myself. I expressed to Mr. Schmidt that he should do that for me and explain to the installer what is expected from the installation.

Currently I now have no audio on VCR tapes played back... I had VCR audio prior to installation...

Mr. Schmidt told me I'd hear from someone within 48 hours... for some reason I'll be surprised if I hear from anybody...

Sean Mota said:
Vlad,

try to find out what's the deal? It's very important to know.

I called them this morning. They had an 800 number and asked me what city I'm in; I guess they're not a local company. Anyway, I'm all set for saturday between 12pm and 5pm.

At first she tried to tell me that I was scheduled for 8am-12pm; which I was oringinally but had it changed to an afternoon install, I even received a confirmation email on 3/8/04 from Install Inc confirming my afternoon install time.

I told her about my email and she replied that her email stated a morning install, she then mentioned that she didn't know if she could give me an afternoon appt. I was starting to get upset when she told me she would double check and put me on hold for about 2 mins, then came back and said I was all set for an afternoon install. :up

I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Vlad

Installing Today!

Hello,
I am having Voom installed today in Las Vegas, NV. I will keep ya posted!

Cool, let us know all the gory details : ) I bet you cant wait! Good Luck!

Emerald Coast

Well, my install is scheduled for tomorrow betweent 8-12. Emerald Coast called my home yesterday but I was at work. I returned their call this morning and was told that they had received my box and that it should be in the hands of "Bob" by now. The very nice lady told me that Bob normally calls before the install and that he has my cell phone number.

We will wait and see, I hope to give a good report tomorrow as I watch VOOM. Yes, I am an optimist. (the glass IS half FULL)

Thanks

The installer made a mistake by calling me from his personal cell phone 4 days ago. I have caller ID and have been calling him daily to make sure the satellite is in and that he will be here. Caller ID Rocks!