VOOM Installations

I called SAS this morning, they now know that I am a pain in the a$$, which may be a good thing.

I told them that I needed 2 wires, no diplexor, and they said that it would be $35 extra. They explained that although the contract said up to 4 wires, that was only if it was needed for extra televisions. :no
Then I told them that I couldn't have the dish and antenna screwed to the roof, that's $125 extra. I don't mind paying that, even though it's a little steep.

I asked about their experience, and at first they told me they had 10 years experience with Voom :rolleyes: . But then, after I explained that it was a new service, they corrected themselves and said that they had 10 years experience installing satellite systems for Installer Inc. It made me relax a little, but not much.

My landlord will be here tomorrow, so I don't need to worry about him signing any papers.

I will keep you posted. Hopefully, it won't be a horror story!

Vlad:
So you did get an email from Installs? Mine is scheduled for Monday 3/15 and I have not heard a peep from anyone.

I assume that because you're in my neighborhood that I would get the same company.
Hmmm...if Saturday morning is open for them, maybe they can come to my house.

I'm going to call Installs...I haven't done it waiting for some sort of call or email from them but it's Friday, almost noon and nothing yet!

Just called Installs...very nice woman told me the installer is an Installs, Inc. from Miami! She did not have his name and number (?) and didn't show if he had the equipment yet. She is going to track the equipment and get back to me later.
(Hmmm, this does not feel right! Hopefully I won't have to post in the RESCHEDULING THREAD)

I asked her..."that if he did have the equipment", maybe there was a way he could come out tomorrow instead of Monday. She will check but no high hopes! Hey I had to try, right?

I will keep posting the progress!

When i got home last night the light on the receiver was green but I can't watch all of my channels. Some channels come in but others I get no signal from satallite and then the channel number.

omard. said:
yes my signal power is 40 and my ota signal power is between 87 and 91. the channels I get are stunning.

I would suggest you to do unplug/plug the receive first. If that does not work, you can try a factory reset.

I have done both and no go. I get the low number channels but not the higher number channels. EX. I get all locals and hdn and the first three or four cinema but that is it.

omard. said:
I have done both and no go. I get the low number channels but not the higher number channels. EX. I get all locals and hdn and the first three or four cinema but that is it.

Ok. I would call Tech Support at VOOM and ask them to sent a hit to the receiver because you are not getting all the channels. After doing the hit, it takes about 10 minutes to star seeing the channels. I would do another factory reset after they hit the receiver. Have the SN of the receive in hand the SmartCard number. I believe they will ask for the SN of the receiver.

If that does not work, you can ask for a guy called Robert. I do not know his schedule but he knows about this other procedure in which they take your receiver temporarily out of your account and then put it back and it seemed to do it.

If neither of these work, then ask for another receiver.

An update:

Installer came and tried a different board inside the stealth antenna to see if the locals came in any better. Marginally better, so he put in a work order to get out a bigger antenna.

Locals that work now:

11.1 - NBC
17.1 - TBS
17.2 - TBS2 (same stuff, just widescreen)
36.1 - WB
46.1 - CBS

CBS breaks up every now and then, but got to watch CSI in hd, for the first time :D

Missing ABC, FOX and UPN

I pray mine goes as smoothly in early April. The guys I talked to seemed knowledgable enough, but the real test is when they get to my house. Thankfully I guess, they've got a LONG time to get the equipment in and in place.

Installation Blues Maybe Over?

I posted my horror stories this week about my local installer not returning any phone calls after not showing up for the install. Today I called Voom and explained the situation to them. She put me on hold for a few minutes, then came back and said an installer would be out today. A little while later, the installer (who hasn't returned my calls for 4 days) called me to say he'd be out at 3:30. Cool! He showed up about 3:15, and he's on the roof now. I'll keep everyone posted...

No Major Problems

:) Installation went fine. It was done by Vince through Direct Broadcast. He stated he has only done a dozen Voom installs. He knew what he was doing though. Set-up was easy for him due to me having a newer house with a smart box. The only problem, they forgot to send the stealth antenna. I currently have HD Cable. I do not see any improvements over HD cable, except I have more channels now. I am thinking about keeping both satellite and HD Cable.

Installation Blues Reversed!

OK, well the installer showed up, did a professional job, stuck around and made sure everything was working right, answered all my questions. Other than the non-phone-call-returning episodes, I'd say things worked out great. I'm only getting one local channel, but that's actually more than I expected. I'll probably go look for a better antenna next week. But in the meantime, I'm overwhelmed by how great HD channels look! Unbelievable. I'd write more, but something's compelling me to go watch TV... I'll have more to say when I've had some time to play around.

no install today

well, i finally got the guy out here, but he said he couldn't do anything because he was going to have to dig a trench to run the wire from the satelite to the apartment. He said he didn't have time to do it today and it was going to cost 2.50 per foot!! He also said it was going to cost 90 dollars to mount the dish on a pole. Does all this sound about right? Also, if he knew i was in an apartment from the address, why wouldn't he block more time for an issue like this. I told him forget about me paying 90 bucks to have him dig a hole and put a pole in it. I did it myself for 7 bucks after he left. (pole and kwikcrete from home depot) He said set up another time so they can block longer of an install time.
I called back after i had the pole mounted in the ground(30 minutes later) and they are coming back out on tuesday the 16th.

Yahhooo, got my voom,
Installation a big story

Tom from professional satellite installation, Riverside CA called and confirmed my appointment the night before. 9.30 AM I get a call saying he is stuck in a dirt road on the other side of the town, so I got there with a friend with a SUV to see whether we can pull the truck out , no we could not we waited for tow truck and ultimately we were able to pull the truck out at 11.00 AM,
Installation satarted at 11.15 AM and went on like 3.00 PM, tom was slow but very professional did a very good job I would highly recommend him.

Guess what guys I am getting 62- 64% satellite signal which he said he never got that good reception any time.
Quality is also 60
Let me tell u the HD qulaity is just great on my Toshiba 57H83
I dont like SD because it is not stretched very well.
Toshiba does a very good job with my E*, and I need my locals and ESPN so I am going to keep it for now but will downgrade the subscription.
I am not getting any local channels so but I wont get all the locals anyway so I am going to keep E*
So that's how the day went so far very happy with HD voom, hope they add more HD channels

Installation took place... however the voom book says the installer will:
Install and connect your dish and off-air antenna to your satellite box,
Connect the satellite box to your home theatre,
Configure system for optimal performance, and
Program the voom remote for your tv/vcr.

When I asked installer about connecting the phone line he told me I
could do it myself...
More irritating is that when I asked installer to connect the audio with
an optical cord, which I had, I was told I would have to figure that
out myself... leaving me with an analog audio connection cord connected
with red and white connected and the yellow cord dangling...

I don't consider this configuring systme for optimal performance.

I spoke to Mr. S****** on the day of "installation" on 3-11-04 at
4:55 pm and was told I should try to contact the installer myself. I
expressed to Mr. S****** that he should do that for me and explain to
the installer what is expected from the installation.

Currently I now have no audio on VCR tapes played back... I had VCR
audio prior to installation...

Mr. S****** told me I'd hear from someone within 48 hours... for some
reason I'll be surprised if I hear from anybody...