VOOM Installations

Hi Sean:
I had my Voom successfully installed today (another post) but have a question with OTA
According to the Voom zap2it guide I am supposed to have 18 locals.
My Voom box PG shows 12
Of those 12, I have signal (and good PQ) on 9 of them
The other 4, when tuning them shows 'No signal...try later" Does this mean they will tune in later or the antenna has to be moved or what. All the towers are in the same general direction. My zip code is 33029
Does this sound right...please advise!!!
Thanks in advance!!!

Bad LNB?? Or is this a "it works or doesn't"

I would have hoped fine tuning the pointing of the dish would be a no-brainer for a qualified installer.

Bill

UPDATE:

Joe, Wilt and Kenya really stepped up in conjunction with Lori Hinchman from Cablevision/VOOM --- Garrett a young installer with a very professional attitude showed up on Friday (after some much heated discussion that morning with his company and Installs, Inc wanted to reschedule my appointment again) - His truck was very well stocked and he arrived ready to work and knew exactly what to do. The previous installers had not only screwed up the entire installation, they actually mounted it clearly out of possible reception area of the VOOM satellite. He had to relocate the spot to the front corner of the house and was able to hit the alignment perfectly. I used an online source to calculate the coordinates and he tuned it in with perfection. I had something like mid-high 50s on both signal power and quality.

The entire installation was uneventful and I am extremely pleased with the quality of the reception and programming options. If anyone in Louisiana has a choice, please consider using this contractor for all of your VOOM and/or home audio needs: Sultans of Sound and Video out of Opelousas, LA --- Truly A+++++ in terms of professionalism, knowledge and quality of work.

So, thanks again to all those involved inside of Installs, INC --- Cablevision/VOOM to make this happen and get this problem rectified --- Once it got into the proper hands, it was afforded the quality attention it received. I still stand behind my original statement towards the horrible service, poor installation practices as well as overall disrespect displayed from Emerald Coast Broadband --- I would never let them install anyone --- anywhere if possible.

Thanks to the wonderful forum and friends here who made THIS ENTIRE OPERATION SO MUCH MORE IMPRESSIVE. I TRULY BELIEVE THAT THIS SITE AND ITS CONTENT DOES MAKE A TREMENDOUS DIFFERENCE. Nearly everyone including Voom and Installs, Inc mentioned this forum. So they are listening! :D

Good luck to everyone. ----- VOOM ON.

Andy

PS --- Joe followed all of this up with a personal phone call on Friday evening just to make certain (again) that everything was done to my satisfaction. Kudos to Joe!!! I told him that he has a fabulous reputation on this forum and it is truly well-deserved.
Good luck on all of your installs. VOOM!

If your installer has a "spare" DirecTV LNB for SAT A or SAT B, you can test with that. I agree with Ilya. Odds are that the installer is looking for the sat in the wrong direction. For me in the Midwest, if I stand and look in the direction of the DirecTV 101 satellite and using my watch pointing at it with the number 12, the Rainbow SAT is between 9 and 10.

smooth install

amidst all the bad install stories I thought I'd throw in mine which has gone pretty well so far. I live in the detroit area and currently have a dish 6000 with all OTA locals using a bow tie antenna. Fox gives me trouble sometimes.

Installer was very nice and seemed knowledgable. He said he's done quite a few voom installs and just came back from installing at another house where the guy made him uninstall it after he found out no fox sports.

I asked him about the diplexer and if it would degrade the signal. He said it wouldn't and I let him use it. I see no ill affects from it.

It took about 30 minutes to finally get all the channels and guides downloaded. We had to reset a few times but I think that's cause we were impatient and thought it wasn't working.

I am able to get all OTA stations perfectly using the stealth antenna (I'm at most, 15 miles from the towers).

So far the HD picture seems as good if not better than dish. SD seems the same. The surprising part for me is the receiver since I haven't heard many good things about it. The guide seems so much faster and nicer on the eyes than my dish 6000. I'm keeping my dish for fox sports and espn for now.

The only thing that isn't working is the OTA on my bedroom TV. That was the only thing that we forgot to check. The channels are there and the programming is on the guide but there is no signal. Any idea what might be the problem before I call him back?

So far I'm very impressed.

TimBob5259,
Welcome to the club! Congratulations on your install!

As for OTA in your bedroom, I wonder if this is a diplexer issue?
May be someone with a multi-room VOOM setup can help?

truqui said:
Hi Sean:
I had my Voom successfully installed today (another post) but have a question with OTA
According to the Voom zap2it guide I am supposed to have 18 locals.
My Voom box PG shows 12
Of those 12, I have signal (and good PQ) on 9 of them
The other 4, when tuning them shows 'No signal...try later" Does this mean they will tune in later or the antenna has to be moved or what. All the towers are in the same general direction. My zip code is 33029
Does this sound right...please advise!!!
Thanks in advance!!!

For the channels that are mapped and are not appearing in your PG, check this thread and follow the procedure outlined.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=9741

Regarding the channels with "no signal..try later". How far are they from your house? When you select one of those channels and go to system settings to check the power strength and signal quality for OTA and see what it is. It looks like you are not locking unto the channel. Please post those numbers

Andy,

Glad that everything worked out. Joe Harkins works very hard to make things happen and anyone who has problems with installations should really get in touch with him and surely everything will be rectified. Thanks Andy for taking the time to post your initial nightmare story and the outcome.

TimBob5259,

check the back of the box and make sure is connected right. Also select on one of those channels that are showing no signal and check your signal quality and strength.

I kind of fixed it. I gave voom a call and the lady had me try factory resets and stuff then she went to talk to someone else who said the problem may be caused by the splitter. They recommended a powered splitter and offered to either have someone come out or let me pick one up at radio shack (she said they were under $20.

While she was talking I decided to remove the diplexer from the back of the box. I plugged the cable in, then I picked up my silver sensor antenna and put it in the 8vsb. All locals came in with 80ish signal strength. The receiver does a much better job locking the signal than my dish 6000.

She also told me they are in negotiations with Fox Sports and ESPN and should be a couple months at the latest.

great that you got it! I agree about the 6000 receiver. I used to get a lot of drop outs on my 6000 and I get non on VOOM's and I only live within 10 miles from trasmitter.

truqui,

Congrats!! You'll most likely be up late tonight.

Which OTA stations are you not getting? I'm also curious if you are able to get Fox 29-1 from west palm?

Here is my install story!!

Ok, here is the complete install story.

Installer shows up at 12:30PM, good start. Installs both the Voom dish and my new BIG Winegard OTA antenna. He drills holes upstairs and downstais for both receivers. So while he is doing this I install the downstairs receiver. I insert the 8VSB (OTA module) into the Voom receiver. I finish hooking up the receiver. I have the DVI cable, phone cables, remote etc. Receiver one is installed just waiting to connect the cable from the SAT and the OTA cable. Now I take the 2nd receiver out of the box. Now I notice there is no remote, no cables, no 8VSB module, all the accessories for the 2nd receiver are missing as are the diplexors. So when the installer comes down from the roof I point this out to him and he calls his office. He tells me he will leave right now and pick them up, I said sure no problem since his office is only 5 miles from my house. So he leaves and returns in about 20min. OK, he returns and realizes we only have 1 Motorola diplexor. So good thing he had in his took box 2 channel master diplexors. So now connect the cables and we get 12% on the status screen. He plays around with moving the SAT for about 1 hour still no change. See he did not have his digital SAT finder. So he calls one of the other installers over gets his meter, within 20 min we have a signal. So he tunes everything I am getting my locals and Voom. He left at 6:00PM. After he left I checked to see if he sealed the holes in my walls that he drilled for the cable. He did not seal them, so I will call tomorrow and let them know,

Now here are the numbers I am getting:

Receiver 1: Signal Quality - 54
Signal Power - 60
Off the Air - 16-20
Off the Air Power - 0

Receiver 2: Signal Quality - 53
Signal Power - 56
Off the Air - 3-20
Off the Air Power - 5-13

since there is no power amp in the Antenna shouldnt the OTA Power be 0?

Now here is the problem with reciver 1:

I have reset, unpluged, facotory reset, got several hits from Voom but I still have no guide and when I try to go to channel 261 I get BravoHD which is channel 501. Before I unplugged the box the 1st time I would go to channel 261 and it would say Not authorized even though I have the VaVaVoom package. The first time I called Voom tech support the recording said they were overloaded and that I could leave my number and someone would call me back then the line was dropped by Voom. I was Pi**ed. So I called back and this lady was very nice but was of no help. See said lets see if it fixes over night and to call back tomorrow. Well I want to watch Voom so for now I will wait to see until tomorrow.

As for the SD channels the reports here are pretty accurate. SD on Voom is almost as good as Dish but not as sharp. As for HD I have had no audio drop outs and I dont see the stuttering yet. The only pixelization I noticed was on BravoHD when a person moved their face the face would be pixelated.

So I am Vooing! :D

So if anyone know how to get my guide back and my channels in sync please let me know!

Bill

Videofx,

Good that you got it...

what's your trip count on receiver #1. Until trip count is higher than 3 it will not download the guide data information. Also the 0 OTA power you got because you were tuned to a satellite channel when you were looking at the meter (probably). But first you need to get the guide data. Go to systems settings --> #8 --> Report Back

Videofx said:
Sean,

the trip counter still says 0

bill

That's the problem. Did you ask VOOM to hit the box? You need to give them the SN of the box and smartcard number... They just probably hit one of the boxes. Once they hit the box, it will take 45 minutes but you will see the trip count increase from 0. After it reaches 3, your PG will download. After 4 it will give you the video.

Had Guide Info

Sean Mota said:
That's the problem. Did you ask VOOM to hit the box? You need to give them the SN of the box and smartcard number... They just probably hit one of the boxes. Once they hit the box, it will take 45 minutes but you will see the trip count increase from 0. After it reaches 3, your PG will download. After 4 it will give you the video.

Sean,

It had all the guide info until I unplugged the reciever to try to get the receiver back in sync.

bill

Videofx said:
Sean,

It had all the guide info until I unplugged the reciever to try to get the receiver back in sync.

bill

So the guide is there and video is there as well? Is the guide correct?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)