VOOM Installations

Videofx said:
Changed polarity as outlined in that msg but still no go. Channel mappings still screwed up

Bill

Bill,

It looks like that receiver should be replaced. I will ask for another one if I were you... It is not supposed to give you that much trouble from the get go.

Yup

Sean Mota said:
Bill,

It looks like that receiver should be replaced. I will ask for another one if I were you... It is not supposed to give you that much trouble from the get go.

I will call them tomorrow and if they dont fix it I want a new receive.

Bill

I got the same problem with my Receiver in Bravo HD being on Starz HD. And Discovery or another channel being where the Premium movies channels are. But what is strange is that The Receiver in the front living room was getting Starz HD and the channels are pretty much where they should be. So I swapped the receviers out and I am still getting Bravo HD on Starz with the HDTV in the family room.

Sean Mota said:
Andy,

Glad that everything worked out. Joe Harkins works very hard to make things happen and anyone who has problems with installations should really get in touch with him and surely everything will be rectified. Thanks Andy for taking the time to post your initial nightmare story and the outcome.

Hi Sean,

What position does Joe Harkins have within the Voom organization and how can he be reached?

Thanks.

Shelly

klmnoah said:
I got the same problem with my Receiver in Bravo HD being on Starz HD. And Discovery or another channel being where the Premium movies channels are. But what is strange is that The Receiver in the front living room was getting Starz HD and the channels are pretty much where they should be. So I swapped the receviers out and I am still getting Bravo HD on Starz with the HDTV in the family room.
The LNB on the dish has two connectors. Did the installer run two coax cables from the satellite dish, one to each receiver? Or, did he run one cable from the dish to a multiswitch and then two cables from the multiswitch, one for each receiver?
Btw, I hope some installers are not trying to us the diplexer to run satellite signals to two recievers..........

shelly said:
Hi Sean,

What position does Joe Harkins have within the Voom organization and how can he be reached?

Thanks.

Shelly

As was pointed out Joe Harkins works for Installs Inc. Anything to do with installations issues, he can handle.

"Joe Harkins" <jharkins@installs.com>

Great Install in Western Kentucky!!!

My install was scheduled for 3-15-04, Steve and John from "Digital Dimensions" in Corbin, Kentucky called to let me know they were on the way and be at my house in about an hour.

Since I live where sunlight has to be piped in they had a little trouble locating my house, but upon arriving they went straight to work. Since I already had a boom "OTA" antenna with a rotator they informed me that I should stay with it and forget the "Stealth" which I had already decided to do anyway.

Both gentlemen were very courteous and respectful of my property, had all the equipment required, and never took a break until the installation was complete. The only time I saw them a little upset was when it came time to confirm the install with "Voom", they were on hold for 21 minutes.

Once the system was confirmed, they stayed and went through the use of the remote and the different features of the receiver I was asked if I had any questions and I said no.

They cleaned up their work area and prepared to leave, I shook their hands and gave them two bottles of homemade blackberry wine for their efforts. A very pleasurable install, thanks John and Steve. :up

Videofx..just wondering what got that initial signal over 13?? was it the direction or the first phone call to voom?

i had read your report,i mean he really was pointing in the complete wrong direction?? or just needed the meter to find it,or tweak it??

My Voom install was scheduled for 3-12-04. They called an confirmed that they would be there and the installer arrived on time. It went down hill from there. This was their first Voom install. I had them install the OTA antenna because I don't get very good reception with the older antenna on the house. They kept saying how difficult this install was.

The installer was convinced that the dish had to be pointed at 61.5 degrees on his compass. I told him no, it has to be pointed exactly like the other dish network dish I already have pointed at 61.5 degrees. After going to the truck, re reading his notes and not getting any signal with the dish pointed in the opposite direction he decided to take my word and presto, Signal. Every other intaller I have seen, had a sat finder. This guy had a baby monitor.

Inside the house they ran the cable through the legs of a folding table where the cable came into the house. I pointed it out to them and they said, just uninstall the cable when you want to move the table. It took them 3.5 hours to do the install and I was just glad to see them go so I didn't make an issue of it. I will fix the install myself.

I couldn't get a picture on the component input of my television (it was set to 720P out of the box) The installer said just use the SVideo. I said, what is the point of HD if I can't use the HD output. Clearly he didn't understand HD and I didn't want to give him a lesson. I called Voom tech support and I could not believe it when the girl on the other end said, Just use the SVideo for HD. It wasn't until I said 720P that the lightbulb when on and she said, just push the red button the the front of the receiver. I didn't see any red button and she didn't know its location other than it was on the front. Needless to say, I found it and now everything works great.

What got it over 13?

rang1995 said:
i had read your report,i mean he really was pointing in the complete wrong direction?? or just needed the meter to find it,or tweak it??

He needed the meter to find it. I told him the dish should be pointed to 61.5 like my dishnetwork and he said no it was different.

Bill

Groovy-Doovy in ol' Saint Louis!

I had a wonderful installation experience in St. Louis.

Chris of C.F. Communications knew exactly what he was doing. He didn't bust my balls about skipping the diplexor. He just went right to work and everything went like clockwork. Chris was very friendly and let me bend his ear asking questions about "the business."

He was respectful, courteous, and he went out of his way to run the coax in the most aesthetic way possible. You'd have to look twice to see that I have a dish!

The HDTV is fantastic. I've never had satellite before, so I think some of my "issues" (i.e. slow channel changes, long menu blues, etc.) are more with the medium itself than VOOM proper.

NOTE TO ST. LOUISIANS: Chris told me before he started that our local CBS-KMOV affiliate was the "problem child OTA." He was right. It was working fine when he left. Later in the evening, it started blinking out on me. I'll have to experiment with the Stealth. (I can't bring myself to switch from Letterman to Leno. :rolleyes: )

Now bring on more channels! Country Music Television for the missus, and Fox News Channel for me.

And the Playboy channel for... uh... the cat!

I have 2 receivers

Gr8Reb8 said:
The LNB on the dish has two connectors. Did the installer run two coax cables from the satellite dish, one to each receiver? Or, did he run one cable from the dish to a multiswitch and then two cables from the multiswitch, one for each receiver?
Btw, I hope some installers are not trying to us the diplexer to run satellite signals to two recievers..........

On mine he he used a channel master duplexer. I get the correct mapping of the channels on my upstairs receiver but not on my downstairs receiver.

Bill

JamesD said:
The installer was convinced that the dish had to be pointed at 61.5 degrees on his compass. I told him no, it has to be pointed exactly like the other dish network dish I already have pointed at 61.5 degrees. After going to the truck, re reading his notes and not getting any signal with the dish pointed in the opposite direction he decided to take my word and presto, Signal. Every other intaller I have seen, had a sat finder. This guy had a baby monitor.
On application form to become a "professional" installer:

1. Can you fog a mirror? If yes, you are hired!

Videofx said:
I told him the dish should be pointed to 61.5 like my dishnetwork and he said no it was different.
That's what I thought!

Posted by VladD
truqui,

Congrats!! You'll most likely be up late tonight.

Which OTA stations are you not getting? I'm also curious if you are able to get Fox 29-1 from west palm?

Thanks Vlad:
These are the ones I have can see:
2.1 WPBTD1 - PBS
2.2 WPBTD2 - PBS
2.3 WPBTD3 - PBS
4.1 WFORD1 - CBS
6.1 WTVJD1 - NBC
7.1 WSVND1 - FOX
23.1 WLTVD1 - UNIVISION
39.1 WBZLD1 - WB

These are on the PG but can't see:
10.1 WPLGD1 - ABC
17.1 WLRND1 - ?
51.1 WSCVD1 - TELEMUNDO
69.1 WAMID1 - TELEFUTURA

The one I'd like te see of these is the ABC affiliate...!!!
Should I be able to see West Palm Beach stations?

Thanks for the clarification.

My install is being done by Digital Satellite Services (probably located about 1 1/2 hours from my home, though.)

Shelly

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts