VOOM Installations

Several Questions on New Install

1. Does a 2 room install require a multi-switch and if so, who supplies the switch?

2. I've read several threads on installers running separate coax wires for the antenna to each box.....am I in my right to insist on this or can they use that diplexor device if they want?

3. Are all these software upgrades mentioned downloaded by the box automatically? Even after the installer is gone? Or do I have to do it?

4. In the furture, if bugs can only be fixed by a new box, will zoom swap it out free........or will they try to hit me for more $$$$ ?

5. I got 2 different stories from the salesman about the $5 charge a month for the extra box....at first they quit this charge, then at the end she said she was wrong and they had to charge me for it. Is this still a charge or did I get screwed?

sending out Field Manager

Well Voom is sending a field manager with a new receiver to see if he can fix my Non-sealed holes in my house and to see if he can fix the synced channel problem and to see if he can run me 2 cables from the voom dish to my 2 receivers without the Diplexor. He is supposed to come this Sat the 20th.

We will see if he gets the receiver in time and if he shows up.

Bill

1 - no.
2 - 4 lines will be optimal and will eliminate lots of problems.
3 - New boxes come with latest software pre-installed. Installer should be there until you can view your channels.
4 - Yes they will replace but most likely with software updates. They seem committed to do the right thing as a lot of us who subscribed early november have or will have a replacement stb with the new boxes.
5 - lease program, I believe is $5 mirror charge and $10 per each box.

answers

kirkdj said:
1. Does a 2 room install require a multi-switch and if so, who supplies the switch?

2. I've read several threads on installers running separate coax wires for the antenna to each box.....am I in my right to insist on this or can they use that diplexor device if they want?

3. Are all these software upgrades mentioned downloaded by the box automatically? Even after the installer is gone? Or do I have to do it?

4. In the furture, if bugs can only be fixed by a new box, will zoom swap it out free........or will they try to hit me for more $$$$ ?

5. I got 2 different stories from the salesman about the $5 charge a month for the extra box....at first they quit this charge, then at the end she said she was wrong and they had to charge me for it. Is this still a charge or did I get screwed?

I just had my 2 room install done and they used a switch and diplexor for the SAT and OTA. I asked for seperate lines but did not get them. I have a field guy coming on saturday and I will ask he he can run seperate lines.

When the installer activates your box it should download all the current software until a new update comes which is supposed to be in about 10-14 days.

If your paythe monthly fee then Voom will ship you a new receiver when necessary. If you buy the receivers then they will ship you a new receiver for the first 2 years under warranty then you can purchase an extended warranty if you like after the initial 2 years.

As for the $5 you didnt get screwed. We all have to pay the extra $5 for the 2nd receiver.

Hope I helped.

Bill

Bill,

did they install a switch for your two room installation? For my two room installation I have dual lnb but no switch (I am talking about a multi switch)?

Sean Mota said:
Bill,

did they install a switch for your two room installation? For my two room installation I have dual lnb but no switch (I am talking about a multi switch)?

Sean,

Yup, Multi switch. I asked the guy when he was installing if I could have 2 lines and he said he would use a multi switch. I can see the switch just under the dish. But when this field manager comes out I will find out for sure what it is.

Bill

Videofx said:
Sean,

Yup, Multi switch. I asked the guy when he was installing if I could have 2 lines and he said he would use a multi switch. I can see the switch just under the dish. But when this field manager comes out I will find out for sure what it is.

Bill

Did you get charged for it?

Please convince me on VOOM, after no installs after 4 attempts

Well I still want to try and be a Voomer but after reading all the negatives about lock-ups, reboots, bad PQ with SD AND THE MOST IMPORTANT the installers canceling my install 4 times----WHAT IS a GUY TO DO??

FEEL MY PAIN!!!

I do have D* NOW but they need to get more HD and SOON, or or I don't know.

Hell Raiser said:
Well I still want to try and be a Voomer but after reading all the negatives about lock-ups, reboots, bad PQ with SD AND THE MOST IMPORTANT the installers canceling my install 4 times----WHAT IS a GUY TO DO??

FEEL MY PAIN!!!

I do have D* NOW but they need to get more HD and SOON, or or I don't know.

Hell Raiser,

if you are still interested, get in touch with Joe Harkins from Installs Inc. His email is in the thread "Read Me First". A lot of these problems will get resolved.

truqui,

I Also don't get 17-1 WLRN and it does show up in my guide; I get some error message stating no signal from local channel. I don't know why you are not getting 10-1, 51-1 and 69-1 since I do get them and we are in the same neighborhood. I'd suggest trying a factory reset, but since you mentioned that they are in your PG I don't know if that will do you any good.

truqui said:
The one I'd like te see of these is the ABC affiliate...!!!
Should I be able to see West Palm Beach stations?

I only mentioned West Palm channels because I used to be able to get FOX 29-1 with my old setup and now can't. I was just wondering if you were able to get it with Voom.

More install details

I never mentioned that for my install, the installer had no intention of using the diplexor, and in fact had a box of coax that was actually two cables "glued" together. So I was pretty happy about that, even though I'm only getting one OTA channel anyway.

I'm unable to find the signal strength and quality for the satellite and OTA signals. How can I find this? I see Signal Level Number under the Tune in Satellite Signal menu. It was 63 when the installer was here, today it's bouncing around 45. It's raining though, so that might have something to do with it.

Also, in the audio setup, can anyone tell me if the advantages of using PCM or Dolbe Digital, or setting the compression to high, low, or none? I didn't get any type of documentation with the receiver.

TRColasanto said:
I'm unable to find the signal strength and quality for the satellite and OTA signals. How can I find this? I see Signal Level Number under the Tune in Satellite Signal menu.
Nevermind, I just stumbled upon the awesome thread Sean set up that has quick links to stuff, such as the Tenical Threads. Thanks again Sean!

Voom Install

Well I called Voom last week and had an install setup for March 15, the company who is doing my install, Datalink, called on Friday March 12 and gave me the dreaded "equipment hasn't arrived message", rescheduled for today March 17, well guess what, last night I get another call needing to reschedule again, the equipment was sent to the wrong address, no available install appointments until March 23. This has been a very frustrating experience and I am tempted to just stick with Directv.

Hey Peeps: Called Install's inc to find out about my Friday AM installation, Darlene got my info and said the computers were slow and would contact me with the installer information. I thought I would have to call again, but she sent me an e-mail with the contact info! Great service so far. SO, Metrotech installation is doing it (out of Dallas) and the woman there informed me that because I have an apartment, I would have to pay $20 for "flat cable" to go under the door. Is this bogus? Who should I talk to? I will let everyone know how it goes...

tomcdman & digideal email Joe Harkins at Installs Inc. Ask him what's happening with the equipment and the $20 flat cable. He will give you a straight answer.

"Joe Harkins" <jharkins@installs.com>

digideal said:
Hey Peeps: Called Install's inc to find out about my Friday AM installation, Darlene got my info and said the computers were slow and would contact me with the installer information. I thought I would have to call again, but she sent me an e-mail with the contact info! Great service so far. SO, Metrotech installation is doing it (out of Dallas) and the woman there informed me that because I have an apartment, I would have to pay $20 for "flat cable" to go under the door. Is this bogus? Who should I talk to? I will let everyone know how it goes...
I'd be interested to hear how your install goes, I'm in Dallas as well and scheduled for Sat. 27th installation.

After hearing all the horror stories, i was dreading my install. Im pleased to say that it was all hooked up yesterday and It went flawlessly. The PQ is amazing aside from all the pixelation and sound cut outs...I was getting really pissed, but then i got online and came to these forums and everyone was experiencing them. Kinda a bad first impression, but i guess it was a nationwide problem. As for hearing the Flat cable for 20? I had to have one go through my balcony door b/c the apartments wouldn't let any holes be drilled. The guy charged me 5 bucks. I was curious....do the flat cables diminish the PQ at all?

It will not affect the PQ, but the more times you cut your cable and insert anything there will be a very slight signal loss, but nothing to write home about! $20 for a flat cable is a rip off! If any one tries to charge you more than $10 (installed) show them the door! Maybe they need to use two flat cables one for satellite one for off air, or they could just use the outside diplexer and then one flat cable into your home.Always ask to see you installers SBCA certification badge and State License if required in your State. Before you let them enter your home!!!!!!!!!! No SBCA # no install!