VOOM Installations

I previously posted about my bad install experience, but finally got installed this Monday by a competent, prepared installer. I must say Voom was VERY concerned about the way my first two installation attempts went. They had a customer service manager from corporate contact me, and this was followed by an inquiry from a CS manager at Installs inc. They really want to get this right, so please don't let the horror stories you read here dissuade you from getting the amazing quality and programming that I've seen now that I have Voom. It's really worth the time you put into it and, if you rent equipment, at very little cost.
There is no doubt the installation quality is totally dependent on the individual that arrives at your door, so make sure to spend sometime working with them to get it done the way you want. For example, I pre-ran all my own cable so holes were drilled and wires were routed exactly where I wanted them. I let the installer put on his own connectors for quality control (he's got the proper tools).

Interesting. My installer told me he gets $120 for a Voom install and $60 for E* or D* installs. He really likes installing Voom (twice the pay for the same amount of work he said). The only problem is here in the Pacific NW, he gets line-of-sight for Voom on only 20% of the jobs he goes out on. Since he doesn't get paid unless successful there is quite a bit of wasted time.

Vince2 said:
Interesting. My installer told me he gets $120 for a Voom install and $60 for E* or D* installs. He really likes installing Voom (twice the pay for the same amount of work he said). The only problem is here in the Pacific NW, he gets line-of-sight for Voom on only 20% of the jobs he goes out on. Since he doesn't get paid unless successful there is quite a bit of wasted time.

Also interesting is the fact that My install package came with DVI cable's.

Seanb61 said:
Also interesting is the fact that My install package came with DVI cable's.
I suspect that posting is pretty old. May be even from last year...

Kind of like the Sears promotional stuff the salesman accidentally showed me. Until at least January, the salespeople were getting a $100 bonus for each system they sold.

That has to be old...of course I got DVI, Component and analog audio cables!

What he didin't mention...like my installer did was the reaction when he saw th PQ on the Voom HD's. My installer said "I've done many D* and Dish HD's but never saw anything close to this kind of image, wow!". Obviuosly he quite taken away, as I was!!!

After a bad experience. My Voom is up and works great. I get all my local channels except one UPN. It's mapped but I get no signal. I very happy with the PQ it has frozen up on my 3 times in a 30 miute period which is all the time I had to play with it. Besides that it's great to be a Voomer and I'm glad I did not bail after a bad experience.

I ordered Voom last week, with my installation pending for 3-17-04. They called and canceled the night before, because "the weather was too bad" despite me telling them my roof has NO snow on it.

We rescheduled for today 3-18-04 between 12pm and 5 pm. They called at 11:40 and canceled, again due to bad weather...despite it being 40 degrees, and NO snow on the roof again.

Rescheduled (after a few heated words) for Monday, because that is the earliest available day...though Friday was available on Wen. So, someone somewhere is getting there satellite installed tommorow, despite the weather being to bad.=( If they don't come Monday, bye bye Voom!

Shaun M.

I remember reading on here somewhere, but I can't find it: will I get a DVI cable with the install, or should I buy one before hand? Thanks for the input, install is set for tomorrow, hopefully!

It's Included

digideal said:
I remember reading on here somewhere, but I can't find it: will I get a DVI cable with the install, or should I buy one before hand? Thanks for the input, install is set for tomorrow, hopefully!

DVI, Component, Composite, Audio, Phone are included with every receiver. When the installer comes make sure you check and get everything including the OTA module. My installer did not bring everything so he had to go back to his office to get it. good thing I did an inventory as soon as he laid everything out.

Bill

Any DC Metro Voomers?

Hi all,

I have an install scheduled for 23Mar04. I stay in the DC Metro area, any Vooming experiences? I've read a ton and have a quick checklist:

1) call installer to verify appointment, and what I will be getting (single room, OTA)
2) once installer arrives, check that all materials are included, eg., DVI cable.
3) have the installer run separate lines for OTA & satellite to increase OTA signal.
4) OTA Mapping is still a little murky to me...

Anything else to keep in mind? One question that I have that I can't find a definitive answer for is my existing E* Dish 300 pointing at 61.5. Can this be used for Voom an any way? It's currently connected to a Dish 500 via multi-switch on the roof. I'd like to know because I will continue to get E* formy SD programming, I have a D* dish for NFL ST, and with the a 4th dish and OTA antenna, I'm sure my neighbors won't be too happy. :(

Thanks, 61

Just had a great conversation with my installer. I'm still two weeks out and he was laughing at me for checking in every few days, but I wanted to be prepared. My Voom equipment is there and ready to go. I broached the dreaded "diplexer" subject and he told me "Lord, the last thing you want to do is install a diplexer! It will kill your signal with Voom." I was glad we were on the same page :). He's already done a few Voom installs, and will do a few more by the time he gets to mine. Soooo... I'm very encouraged. Hopefully his work is as good as his knowledge.

sixone said:
Hi all,

I have an install scheduled for 23Mar04. I stay in the DC Metro area, any Vooming experiences? I've read a ton and have a quick checklist:

1) call installer to verify appointment, and what I will be getting (single room, OTA)
2) once installer arrives, check that all materials are included, eg., DVI cable.
3) have the installer run separate lines for OTA & satellite to increase OTA signal.
4) OTA Mapping is still a little murky to me...

Anything else to keep in mind? One question that I have that I can't find a definitive answer for is my existing E* Dish 300 pointing at 61.5. Can this be used for Voom an any way? It's currently connected to a Dish 500 via multi-switch on the roof. I'd like to know because I will continue to get E* formy SD programming, I have a D* dish for NFL ST, and with the a 4th dish and OTA antenna, I'm sure my neighbors won't be too happy. :(

Thanks, 61

Welcome. The 61.5 E* may or may not be used by the installer. It all depends on the installer. If you have a free LNB and if it is a dual LNB, it maybe used only if it the coax for VOOM goes from free LNB to receiver (no E* multiswitch). Ask the installer, as some are willing to do it while others are not.

Additional Receivers

Well I've had Voom for a week now, and I'm pretty thrilled. So yesterday I called and cancelled cable. Then I called Voom to request an additional receiver for the other TV in the house. I knew from my initial call to them that this would cost me an additional $9.50/mo. However, the CSR told me that there would be a $199 installation fee! How can that be, when the initial install was free, and all that has to be done now is plug in a receiver? I already have the RG6 run to the other TV from the CATV. Anyone else add a second receiver or know anything about it?

TRColasanto said:
Well I've had Voom for a week now, and I'm pretty thrilled. So yesterday I called and cancelled cable. Then I called Voom to request an additional receiver for the other TV in the house. I knew from my initial call to them that this would cost me an additional $9.50/mo. However, the CSR told me that there would be a $199 installation fee! How can that be, when the initial install was free, and all that has to be done now is plug in a receiver? I already have the RG6 run to the other TV from the CATV. Anyone else add a second receiver or know anything about it?

That is correct. If you are leasing the box, the installation fee will be $199 if it was no done with the installation of the first box. I know what you mean about the work being less but that's the way it is. So it is better to add all the boxes you need in the beginning because the installation will be free.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)