VOOM Installations

Good for you. I also want to point out that my installation went really well. I would hope that this is soon to be the prevailing messages regarding VOOM because I am selfish & I love my VOOM so I want them to be around for a while! As a side note, after having VOOM for almost three weeks I can say that nothing compares! My experience is with Direct TV and Cox Cable and minus the missing HGTV, ESPN & SciFi channels, VOOM's programming is better. HDTV ROCKS!!!

These installers started with ZERO and are slowly growing and learning as is VOOM.I guess it's that way with everything..Did anyone ever get a NEW(model first year) car or new software from microsoft? it's the same..in a few months i hope we can all look back and :)

then my Voom reciever is a POS

madpoet said:
SVideo is 480i.

Right it is supposed to be 480i. But mine is screwed up.

Regardless, VOOM will be getting a call tomorrow to have all of their equipment taken back. I'm cancelling.

My dish 811 reciever is going back too. I'll try HDTV again in a year or so when/if there is actually content worth watching and equipment I really want is available. (HD DVR)

NOHDjunkie said:
Right it is supposed to be 480i. But mine is screwed up.

Regardless, VOOM will be getting a call tomorrow to have all of their equipment taken back. I'm cancelling.

My dish 811 reciever is going back too. I'll try HDTV again in a year or so when/if there is actually content worth watching and equipment I really want is available. (HD DVR)

Hmm, you didn't even check what's on before you ordered Voom? :eek:

NOHDjunkie said:
I can't get anything but tri colored trach on the s-video output no matter what resolution I put the reciever in.
Could be a bad cable or a damaged contact. Try composite video cable instead.

VOOM install went great! But....

andrzej said:
Hmm, you didn't even check what's on before you ordered Voom? :eek:

Of course I researched it. Getting HDTV programming has been an obsession for the last month. It's just that most of the native (true HD) programming is stuff like guys playing wiffleball in the snow or shows I don't want to see or have already seen. Movies in HD are great for PQ but DVD is still pretty good and I can watch them when I want.

Additionally, the High Definition PQ awe wears off after a couple of weeks of the same looped progamming and watching content I could care less about just because the PQ is awesome gets old soon too.

I have had Netflix for two years. I have a Huge DVD library And I've watched TV for the last three years via DVR... so I don't usually watch live TV. I watch stuff I've recorded on DVR.

I found it difficult to switch back to watching live TV. (making my schedule around the shows I want to watch instead of the other way around).

With no reasonable way to record HDTV content to watch at my leisure, I prefer to wait for the industry to catch up to me and get the equipment (HD DVR) up and working before I dive into HD programming.

The VOOM box has problems (stretching is poor and Resolution selection doesn't work to my satisfaction)

The Dish 811 has problems. (Dark pictures, DVI is poor)

The Best OTA STB I tried was the Motorola HDT100. But you can't record HD content so even free OTA HD is not convenient for me.

So, I'll stick with what works. Dish Network & Two DVR's in SD. Maybe by this Fall after everyone releases their HD DVR's, the price drops a little and there are even more Network Shows and Movie channels in HD.... Then I'll try the HD route again. Until then I can handle SD and If there is a Movie I want to see I'll rent the DVD from Netflix.

Too bad Digital VCR's require the Firewire input or I probably could be sated by that for HD recording. But I'm not buying another TV just to get the right input/output scenario for a D-VCR that was poorly engineered with uncommon connections.

Digital cable has just been laid down my rural road in the last week and I can get it hooked up for a 30 day free trial in a couple of weeks.... we'll see how that is. They claim HD content will be available in two months... albeit the same 4 or 6 channels that Dish and Direct are offering.

Long story short.... HD is not currently worth the price and hassle to deal with.

Dish HD = 6 HD channels... Nothing much for content. Can't record it.

Direct HD = 6 HD channels... Nothing much for content. Can't record it.

Voom = 32 HD channels ... Many more channels.... Nothing much for content. Can't record it.

I'll let the HD wars settle themselves out before I spend another dime.

In a year...who knows...?

Dish buys out VOOM and forces all networks to supply locals in full time HD via Satellite?

Voom gets 100 great HD channels and it's DVR is so great it blows everyone away?

Direct TV upconverts and broadcasts all content in sparkling HD.

Walmart puts out an HD-VCR that's $49 and has component connections?

More realistically...

All three (VOOM, D* and E*) and Digital cable, all equal out in content (more or less) and it goes back to the way it was a couple of years ago and it's a toss up to which you choose, (Based on availibility) because they're all pretty much the same and offer similar equipment and features.

Just my opinion. YMMV

Installer used my Old Coax?

My installer was here Sat.......he was here about 6 hrs. and ended up leaving before we even activated the boxes because Voom had us on hold for over an hour. Anyway I ended up getting a good signal of about 60 on the dish. I did get the ota channels but they kept cutting out or loosing the signal all together. It was important for me to get the ota channels going by Monday, so I bought the best antenna Radioshack had $100, 190 miles range with a 15db booster I already had......the pictures come in great now almost all the time. I only live about 40 miles at most from the stations, but I do have a few trees around. I still get some pixel lost sometimes on some channels, and lots of time I can't get my NBC channel 6 WDSUDT signal at all. I thought the antenna would solve all my problems.....but I noticed the installer didn't run new coax for all the wiring. He used my old coax, probably from Walmart, from the antenna to the multi-switch. He also used my old coax from the multiswitch to my hdtv. He did run 2 new wires from the dish to muti-switch, and then new wire to my 2nd box. He did use diplexors on both tv's. Will Voom pay to have another installer come run all new wiring that can handle this signal? Maybe even separate wires for the antenna and dish?

They were suppose to run new lines, unless told otherwise. I will give VOOM a call and ask them to get rid of Diplexer as well.

"Too bad Digital VCR's require the Firewire input or I probably could be sated by that for HD recording. But I'm not buying another TV just to get the right input/output scenario for a D-VCR that was poorly engineered with uncommon connections."

Um.. what? Wht exactly would you have them do for a digital recording, if not firewire? Most STB receivers have it these days. Most TVs with built-in tuners do also. Many cable companies are releasing firewire-enabled boxes. And Voom is even suppose to incorporate it sometime. Not to mention the Dish921 has it (although not enabled). So... *shrug*

All 3 aren't going to equal out in content. Not for a LOOOONG time. Dish and DirecTV focus on a different market segment than Voom, and do not have the bandwidth for a lot more HD channels. However, Dish already has their HD PVR out and the DirecTV HD Tivo comes out this week (early shipment). So while I'm sorry Voom wasn't your cup of tea, your facts are a little out of whack :).

-MP

NOHDjunkie said:
Too bad Digital VCR's require the Firewire input or I probably could be sated by that for HD recording.
FWIW, one can record ATSC digital HD content with a HiPix or a MyHD video card with one's PC. I know this doesn't much help if one is really interested in recording movies off of HBO, SHO, etc. but if you are after capturing big sporting events, network shows each week, etc. it is an option.

Old Wiring

Thanks........should I wait to hear from you before I contact Voom? I presume then, that Voom would pay for the installer to come back and finish the job right with all new wiring?

Voom install

Signal Visions did my install this Saturday. I had them use an existing dishnetwork line and outdoor antenna I had setup for my 811 so install was quick. They left my Voom tuned on channel 101 I think Bravo was on. I was told me to leave it there for one hour to get software updates and guide. I waited one hour no updates no guide. I restarted the reciever to get updates and guide. Latter that nite I found the 8vsb module was never installed, I found the empty box for it with the trash they left me today. The installer is supposed to call me back latter about it .They used crimp on connectors not compression fittings for the install. Dish network did a more profesional looking install.

I watched The Rock in the Scorpion King on Stars Hd that night picture was real good, Sd channels not as good as Dish, Overall I'm happy with voom just to have more HD to choose from.

A really good installation from DishConnect Installs

Since this is a thread for installation:

I have seen many post as to the really bad and some good installs done.
My install was done by DishConnect/Installs.
They were very professional when they called to tell me what the installation was and asked me what I expected in the installation. I told them how I was hearing about all the bad installs and I expected to have real professionals out.
I was promised the guys coming knew what they were doing and had installed many before. (whew lucky for me)

Installation day and the guy from DishConnect showed up on time!
He was very polite and took his shoes off in my house and went through the entire installation process with me. It took 2 hours to do the install, with most of that time on the phone to VOOM trying to activate the service. That made me very weary. If they with their magic phone number had to wait that long then what about me if I need help..??

A few days after the installation they had a supervisor call to see how all was and asked to come by to look at the installation. REALLY??? Wow, sure lets make sure all is to spec. Heath came out and took pictures and showed me a few tricks about the special red button and made sure everything was all hooked up right. He even suggested some tricks for my surround sound system to improve it too.

I didn't have that special service with my D* install 3 years ago or with cable 5 years ago, so maybe this VOOM outfit is really trying to be better than all of them..
I just wanted to have some good response for the good installations out there. Good job VOOM and DishConnect, I'm impressed!

Loving my HDTV!

A really good installation from DishConnect Installs

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have seen many post as to the really bad and some good installs done.
My install was done in January in Colorado by DishConnect/Installs.
They were very professional when they called to tell me what the installation was and asked me what I expected in the installation. I told them how I was hearing about all the bad installs and I expected to have real professionals out.
I was promised the guys coming knew what they were doing and had installed many before. (whew lucky for me)

Installation day and the 2 guy's from DishConnect show up on time. !
They were very polite and took their shoes off in my house and went through the entire installation process with me. It took 2 hours to do the install, with most of that time on the phone to VOOM trying to activate the service. That made me very weary. If they with their magic phone number had to wait that long then what about me if I need help..??

Well so far so good and all is working and my off-air (stealth[?]) is awesome! Better than cable! (only 20 miles from the towers)

A few days after the installation they had a supervisor call to see how all was and asked to come by to look at the installation. REALLY??? Wow, sure lets make sure all is to spec. Heath came out and took pictures and showed me a few tricks about the special red button and made sure everything was all hooked up right. He even suggested some tricks for my surround sound system to improve it too.

I didn't have that special service with my D* install 3 years ago or with cable 5 years ago, so maybe this VOOM outfit is really trying to be better than all of them..
I just wanted to have some good response for the good installations out there. Good job VOOM and DishConnect, I'm impressed!

Loving my HDTV!

Installs Strikes Again

My wife received a call tonight from Installs and was advised that my local installer had not received my upgrade OTA antenna.

My install was scheduled for tomorrow afternoon. I rearranged people's schedules so that I could be off.

A little later she received a call from the local installer who stated that they had been told by Installs that they could purchase my antenna upgrade at Best Buy. Well they discovered that this was incorrect information and they had to order my antenna.

Antenna is expected "around" Thursday. I have no idea when I will be installed now.

If they would only let me purchase the antenna from Radio Shack or Sears and then reimburse me I would gladly do so. It seems to me that Voom is wasting $$$ needlessly.

I will call Installs in the morning and see if they will allow me to do the install myself.

.........To add insult to injury, I received my first Voom bill today........

sat4me said:
It took 2 hours to do the install, with most of that time on the phone to VOOM trying to activate the service. That made me very weary. If they with their magic phone number had to wait that long then what about me if I need help..??

To help soothe your worry, the activation line is not the same number as the one you would call in case you need support. The installer that came to swap out my old box told me this and he said it sometimes took 30 mins. to even get through to a rep to start the activation. This I took though as a good sign that new subs for VOOM were up thus the long connect/wait time.

Enjoy all that new HD!!
Rick

VOOM installing as I write

Just left my house and the Voom installer. He has been installing since the C-Band days, but this is his first VOOM.

Asked him about running seperate lines for the dish and the OTA, and he showed me the work order that states one line to be run.

Told him I still would like two lines and how much extra, and he said $25.00. Don't know if it is too much, but it never pays to try and nickle and dime the installer. I said to do it. It is about a 70 ft run.

Will update when I go home to check on how it is going.

You should not have to pay for the second line, But, FYI if he sets it up correctly you shouldn't need the second line.....I don't have it and my 2 box set up works perfectly.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)