VOOM Installations

mtuller said:
Also I am experiencing wicked flicker on my channles. Is this something that gets cleared up by the software download that I should be getting this evening?

You have cycled thru the different modes right? 1080i, 720p etc with the red button under the right side panel on the STB? Are you saying it flickers in any of those modes?

My installer called around 10:40 am said his next stop was not home yet and wanted to know if he can come here. HELL YEH! anyway he showed up about 50 minutes later. Nice guy...boy was he surprised when I told him all we have to do is connect receiver and call in.I had the dish and wires,grounds,phone line all installed.He never pulled out any tools.45 minutes later he was on his way.Said it was the sweetest install he ever had.
Also found out he lives fairly close by and gave me his # just in case.

PQ looks great,still need the update,hopefully tonight.(time is off an hour too)
My signal is 59..does it go up after update?

Thanks for all the reading,now I'm VOOMING TOO!!! :yes

Mr. Biggles said:
You have cycled thru the different modes right? 1080i, 720p etc with the red button under the right side panel on the STB? Are you saying it flickers in any of those modes?

Yes, when I cycle through they all flicker. By the way, when you push the red button how do you know which setting its on? There is nothing shown on the screen.

mtuller said:
He did mention a couple of things, one of interest was that he was told that Voom was playing with the idea of moving the satalite up in orbit, so instead of the current angle it is at now, it might be a little higher in the sky.

I don't know they can do that. They are locked in to the current orbital slot at 61.5. To move it higher would mean that the satellite would be constantly moving out of position or be expending fuel to reposition itself. It's a use what you brought situation with synchronous orbit satellites. The life of the satellite depends on the fuel on board from the day that it is launched. They don't refuel them in orbit.

I'd tell this Voom Installer to stick with installations only.

mtuller said:
Yes, when I cycle through they all flicker. By the way, when you push the red button how do you know which setting its on? There is nothing shown on the screen.

Top = 1080i
2nd from top = 720p
3rd from top 480p
bottom = 480i

Successful Installation...couple of questions

Installation was a success (5 hours) with the stealth attached to the roof of the house and the satellite pole mounted next to my E* satellite. PQ is excellent (Samsung HLM507W DLP - DVI). The contractor was extremely experienced, showed up at the time promised, and had all the right tools.

When you power on the Voom STB, How do you set the default channel? Mine is currently powering up on a local channel and I would like it power up on the HDNews channel.

The contractor mentioned the signal will appeat to be at 50 to 60 in the older model stbs and that the new ones, voom will be adjusting the level indicator so that a signal of 50 to 60 will actually show 100%. Will this be sent down in an update to existing stbs?

For readers that are turned off by other people's experiences, make your own decision. Until you can see it in front of you and try it for at least a month, don't make a decision based on other people's experiences. There will always be a group that has problems and there will always be a group that has no problems. It's a bell-shaped curve and without experiencing it yourself, with free installation and no contract to sign, you are living in fear of the unknown experience you may encounter which most likely will end in a happy ending.

What is next

What is next from voom ?? they want use to run cat 5 or cat 5u for free.. run 4 lines to a voom box.. then what next?? cook there dinner and clean there house and feed them too? :mad:

blazingcolorado said:
What is next from voom ?? they want use to run cat 5 or cat 5u for free.. run 4 lines to a voom box.. then what next?? cook there dinner and clean there house and feed them too? :mad:

Can you be more specific? I really do not know what you are referring to.

I too had Prostar Digital come to my home from Columbus, Oh. I live about an hour from their business. The installer who showed up looked like a wannabee jackass. He eyeballed the front of my home then told me there was no way i would get a signal. I pleaded with him to try since he drove all the way from columbus. But he refused saying he wouldn't get paid if it didn't work. While his looks left something to be desired, he didn't sound unintelligent, but i was surprised that he almost immediately tried to steer me into picking up directtv. He said there would be no problem getting a signal with them. I emailed Joe Harkness about the situation and he did offer to send out someone else to get a line of site. I declined at the time. (About three weeks ago is when this happened.) Oddly enough last week, I got a call from a man claiming to work for installs inc. telling me that he had to come to each home that got a no line of site. He was to show up last friday but he got lost. He called again this week and said he would call us on Thur or Fri. but he didn't call. I don't know exactly what to say about the whole ordeal. But thought I would post since Prostar Digital was involved in the above problem. You would think their installers would wear uniforms and drive marked vehicles for advertisement instead of sending out uninformed hood rats.

Orbits

Mike500 said:
I don't know they can do that. They are locked in to the current orbital slot at 61.5. To move it higher would mean that the satellite would be constantly moving out of position or be expending fuel to reposition itself. It's a use what you brought situation with synchronous orbit satellites. The life of the satellite depends on the fuel on board from the day that it is launched. They don't refuel them in orbit.

I'd tell this Voom Installer to stick with installations only.

Satellite orbits decay and they periodically must execute a burn event to raise the altitude. There is a window of altitude and speed which will keep it geosyncronous. Slightly raising it periodically would not appreciably change coverage or signal. One of the reasons that satellites have a limited lifetime is that they only carry so much fuel, and eventually they run out, and when the orbit decays far enough, they burn up.

The installer probably heard about a burn event to raise altitude and assumed it was to improve signal. Yup - he should stick to running cables...

Took the update last night,channels are switching fast now,time is right and signal is 97,OTA signal is 95 so far so good!! ;)

ota antenna

According to the antenna guide page posted here I will need a "violet" large directional type antenna. The stations that are receivable are clustered in 2 locations. Will Voom supply a rotor directional changer?

jbtcajun said:
According to the antenna guide page posted here I will need a "violet" large directional type antenna. The stations that are receivable are clustered in 2 locations. Will Voom supply a rotor directional changer?

No rotor. You will need to buy.

Well third time I get blown off to have my OTA installed, which should have been installed the 1st time around! I have an 8-12 time frame on a Sat which I was told before they don't work on Saturday. Get a call at 11:50 sorry can't make it today our truck broke down about 6 miles away. Well good thing no work was missed just a wasted morning. Another thing that bugs me is everyone from the Installs Inc keeps saying you'll only get a couple of station. Guess what I don't give a F#%^! Get it installed, then we will see what comes in. The hardware is mine drop it off and leave I don't care! I will set it up. It just seems evertime they don't show they tell me how many stations I won't get!

Jimjeep, where are you located? Im in Northbrook. Signal is 96, OTA is all over the place

I was installed in Plano, Texas (suburb of Dallas) on April 10th. The guy from Metro Tech was great, was right on time and got right to work and had me up and running in no time. Very knowledgeable and friendly guy. The STB downloaded the latest software that evening and that got rid of the long channel changing times. I noticed that my SD channels looked quite different from Directv's picture but changed my temperature from the high setting (9200 kelvin) to the low (3600 kelvin) setting and that improved my picture to look a little better than the D* picture. Put on the Master's golf tourney on OTA CBS 11.Whoa!!!!! Have had 55" Mitsubishi CRT for 10 months and only had SD,. When I saw the HD pic, I felt like I was sitting in the camera tower!!!! Could see every blade of grass, every pore on the player's faces. I am also having ch 27 and ch 52 problems but I am calling Installs, Inc. to try to get a better antenna because the Stealth isn't cutting it. Then they added Fox News and I am happy. I don not mind at all being an early subscriber and going thru the growing pains of the young company. They have a brand new, super hott bird and the potential is mind boggling!!! Remember that the other dishes have up to 10 year old technology floating around up there. VOOM has the availability to go MPEG4 in the future, too.

Eddiemc,
I'm just west of midway airport. My ota (20 yr old winegard) is in my attic and is blocked by 2 huge evergreens...but the picture from ota is just perfect on 3 tv's.

Pete,

I'm also in Plano. Metro Tech installed mine in mid March. The first guy was lazy and told me no line of site. The second guy was very nice and he and I did the installation together. So far I love Voom. There have been a few problems with the box and the picture quality. I do get all the OTA channels in the DFW area and they look great. Glad to see you on board.

Bob

Nightmare Install

Installer arrived at 12 noon and too 2 and a half hours to find out he
could not get a signal. He thought it was the Motorola Box and told me
he forgot to put another one in his truck and asked me if I could come
back Monday to have him finish the install because he did not have gas
money to drive home to Long Beach to get another box.

I explained that it was too bad he forgot it but I would need to have
the install completed. He went to the bathroom and then left telling me
he would be back by 4pm. At 5:30pm when he arrived he came in his
friends car so he could do the install while his friends waited in the
car in front of our home. Since he did not have his truck that meant he
did not have his ladder so he climbed up the side of my terrace and
broke one of my plants. Then he neeed me to send him up his tools. I
would also seriously consider having a drug test done at some point. He
tried a new box but had the same problems and by 7:30 decided to come
back another day.

He told me he will try again on Monday and come in my backyard sometimeMonday while I am at work to se about installing the dish in another location. I was ready at 8am on my day off and he finally left at 8pm on Saturday night. I would like to have this service installed by
another tech and have it done right. I do not want this person to know
everything I shared with you because I live a nice quite life, I would
however life to have this fixed immediately.

Trent,

welcome. Sorry you had such a terrible install. Send an email to "Joe Harkins" <jharkins@installs.com> and explaind the situation to him. I am sure he can get you someone else.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts