VOOM Installations

Splitter

On my installation, all the locals worked except one fox channel (the HD one). I didn't know this one was on the air. I lived with the SD feed until a few days ago when it went away. This afternoon, I put a barrel connector at the splitter and ran coax straight to the receiver. Both fox channels came on. My installer would not here of running two coaxes, saying that it would not improve anything. He argued with me about it since. I called VOOM and told them to note my experience and asked why everyone should go through this trouble for a few dollars worth of coax.

My installer wanted to charge an additional $60 to install 2 coaxes instead of one. He could have run the 2 together and he had dual coax cable. The run was about 90 feet. I figure at 10 cents a foot, which is high for bulk quantities, thats $9, plus dual thru bushings say $1 and a few extra stables. The labor would be the same for 1 as for dual (2). So the total is $10.

I know there are some good installers with principles, but guys like this give them a bad name.

I'm going to add the additional coax myself.

A good plan. The company that installed my satellite is good and does a good job. I think they were misinformed by their installation material. The only complaint is that their installers talk down to the customers (who sometimes know a thing or two).

Ordered VOOM last night!

I am a DirecTV subscriber. I haven't been willing to take the HD plunge until I read more about the 0.00 down w/rental via Voom. That was all it took! I will keep D* for the SD and my beloved TiVo. My installation date is 26 April (Monday). I'll keep you folks posted!

If every one followed the Golden rules the above would never happen.....well less often.

1. Know your state law and insist the company follows it. I would not let ANYONE without a licence in my home!!!!!!!!!!! If they have a license they will be insured and bonded (MN.) Otherwise they could be here today and gone tomorrow! Let the person on the phone know at time of schedule that you will NOT be letting anyone in your home without a license, SBCA 1+2 certificate and photo ID. And tell them if they do send an unlicensed person you will ask for compensation for the day you took off work!
2. If they cant show you ALL of the above at your door send them away, same if they do not have a signal meter, drill and ladders(no aluminium). You are the customer, dont feel as if you are lucky getting your install done, you PAID for it so make sure a Pro does it!
3. Another give away is if they bring the family and friends with them, make sure you know the name and address of the installation "company" And take down a copy of the "trucks" license plate! Its worth waiting a few extra days to make sure its done by a pro, it does not mean you will have a perfect install first time every time but you will get someone that cares enough to follow the law! its a good idea to find your own installer and work back! Here is one way to find a local installer, the above rules still apply! Hope every ones install works out in the end, remember you are pioneers!

My Voom installation went pretty smoothly.

I called and verified the time the day before. Then the installer called me 10 minutes later asking me when i wanted my service installed....so it seems to me at least that the blame there is on Voom not informing them when they had scheduled it.

I told the installer it had to be Friday(Good Friday) since we were off and had a bunch of other house related things going on.

They fit me in and the installer called me 3 hours before he arrived just to verify the general time of my install, then 15 minutes to get final directions.

Guy was very helpful, very understanding of what I wanted and didn't argue with me when he tried to sell me an 'upgraded' DVI cable. Digital is Digital, no thanks and he didn't go any further with it.

We walked around the house, he asked me where I would like it. I told him back of the house and we went around back, he climbed under the deck to see where he could run wires and all that. We probably spent 25 minutes walking around the house and the basement laying out how things were going to be done.

For ease of install sake we did go with the front left side. Our house has multiple peaks and he hid it behind on of the peaks which was fine with me, most of our traffic comes from the other way and its tough to see. The OTA antenna he places well enough you have to look at a certain angle even to see it.

He dropped all the wiring, mounted the plates, RTV(or whatever they use) all of the holes for waterproofing(I went and checked after). In the basement he pulled all new wire and fastened it upto the rafters very cleanly.

He even offered me the 18 or 30 inch dish, I thought the 30 was too big so he popped up the 18.

He had a hard time getting it to work once it was all hooked up, bad diplexer.

He moved my TV(60" LCD Grand Wega) and stand, ran all the wires through the stand right and when I helped him move it back helped me get it lined up with its spot on the wall, the protusion in the back sits inside the wall and needs to be placed just right.

Guy was very helpful, didn't even take offense when I told him the PQ at Sears looked like sh*t and they had a terrible setup even though he said he was the ones who installed it, which is no fault of his. He claimed they were all DVI at the store but when I went in they were component and they weren't even showing HD channels, no fault of the installer.

Thank you very much Sean. You are really doing a service in these forums. I truly hope to have Voom up and running soon.

What's in a standard install?

I'm still considering Voom, but I guess this question will go with whatever I choose...

What's included in a standard installation? Specifically what kind of cable runs? I know I've read that it's extra to fish through the walls, so does that mean they'll just come through from the outside and you'll have to deal with the cable? The previous owners had cable TV so there are cables already in the location of the TV sets. Will the installers just connect to these and reuse or run new ones? I've heard enough installation horror stories, I just want to be prepared.

Do you tip VOOM installers?

I have a new installation of VOOM scheduled for next Monday, the 27th.
Assuming that installation will go well and everything works, is it normal to tip the installers?
If so, what would be the proper ammount?
Thanks.
Ilya.

I made the jump and ordered voom today, my install is on May 1st which is cool cause thats the day i move into my new place, but the line of sight really scares me. I'm going to cry when they tell me i can't get it :( Also I live less than 2 miles from all the Local HD towers so do u thing the stealth antenna will do just fine for me?

thanks,
Quincy

quincy said:
I made the jump and ordered voom today, my install is on May 1st which is cool cause thats the day i move into my new place, but the line of sight really scares me. I'm going to cry when they tell me i can't get it :( Also I live less than 2 miles from all the Local HD towers so do u thing the stealth antenna will do just fine for me?

thanks,
Quincy

Stealth will be fine Quincy. Good luck with that line of sight!

Voom--Install...

I have been a D* subscriber since 1998. I have the HD package as well as many others. So I will do some comparing... I have been reading this forum for the past week and last Tuesday night I decided to take the plunge and purchase Va Va Voom. I called in and spoke to a customer service agent to do the order. After we got off the phone everything was set for installation this Tuesday (4/20) between 8-12am. This would have been perfect. Well On Saturday I got a confirmation email that said my installation was set for 5/4/04. I said, huh, I thought It was all set for This Tuesday. After calling back and speaking to customer service, they said the operator who took my order forgot to refresh her screen and the order was never set up correctly. Anyhow, I now have been confiirmed for next Wednesday the 28th. We shall see.. After reading about lip sync/stuttering problems etc.. i hope im making a good decision, a little worried now after the first mistake with the installation was made.. We shall seee....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)