VOOM Installations

flipper2001,

welcome. You need to contact the local installer. Have isntalls inc let the local installer that you would like to speak to him/her. It is very important and it will minimize problems.

flipper2001 said:
I have been a D* subscriber since 1998. We shall see....

I think you'll be quite happy with V*. I held onto my D* sub for a month after having V* installed. Today I pulled the plug on D* after 8 years.

Well my Voom install should start tomorrow at noon. If it doesnt, I'll have to show the installer my new .357 :D

My guys forgot grounding for the dish and OTA and had no idea how to fix my local OTA mapping issues or get the code push. They where very kind, but not very familiar w/VOOM, wanted to learn though.

I went to the yahoo voom forum and wilt got me hooked up and peter fixed it all up. I am very happy at the moment w/my 720p.

Install...

Well we shall see. The lack of channel selection is one issue I might have with Voom, but im willing to give it a try and see how it goes. The quality on D* HDTV is good, dont really notice any problems and I hope that it is not an issue with Voom by the time I get it. Every once in a while I notice a tiny lip sync issue with D* and im afraid that voom will be worse but we shall see in a week after the installation (assuming all goes well). I will contact Installs Inc at the end of this week to verify thier wont be any problems. I found out from Voom that the DVI cable is only 6ft max that the installer will have so I will need to shell out 90-150.00 for a 12 ft DVI cable since my TV is not directly next to the Audio Rack. I also am concerned with the antenna they will install, not sure its going to help me. currently Im using a TERK-TV55 in my attic wired through the cable outlet so its clean back to my Hughes IRD. I dont want to use this connection at first for Voom, I would like to see what the antenna installed yields (outdoor should be better then an indoor no matter what (me thinks)).

Install done! Installer was a GREAT guy. Real nice, knew his stuff, tried to pitch me on not using a diplexer! He was here on time, took about an hour.5 and things look golden! Must go watch hd...cant type...

Well to update my info from yday. I called Installs Inc to speak to installer but they said there is not one that is assigned, it will take place on the day before install. I asked about making sure there is a second cable run for antenna, they said they DONT do that. They said i would be charged for any materials not in the voom package.. Oh boy.. not even installed and im not liking it.

Got mine

My installer showed up yesterday to put in my Voom. He was from a local sub-contractor to Installs Inc. and had installed a few Vooms. He certainly knew his stuff as far as service in general and installation. It came down to getting it to display on our HD Mitsu TV and he could not get a picture. I suggested setting the resolution using the button behind the door and he had never seen it before (wonder how he ever installed with HD before).

OK - we get it on and displaying, and I note that on the installation screen it said the signal was 48. Rain was moving in, and it dropped further. He thought that was all typical "this far North" in Sioux Falls, South Dakota - as he had seen before. I commented that others are reporting much higher numbers. But when he activated it everything worked and was stutter and artifact free. At that point the rain had passed and the signal was 63 or so.

Last night I sat down to show the wife the new Voom and it was stuttering on nearly every channel, including the locals. She was less than impressed and said she wanted D* back. I told her to be patient and it may get better overnight when the firmware updates. I left the receiver on, and noted stuttering was still there this morning. I rebooted and there is less stuttering - but I can't tell if it really updated the firmware - but I don't think so since the time is an hour off.

I recall that the firmware upgrade will fix the time and I also recall hearing that they changed the signal scale - so maybe I do would get a decent signal rating on the new scale. How do I tell if the firmware updated - and if it hasn't, why not? Perhaps it had trouble phoning home (maybe I should take that DSL filter off the line). Before installation I insisted on a 30" dish, so he called back Voom and they are sending one out, apparently at no cost. For now I have the 18".

Regarding the stuttering, why would it come and go like that? Why would there ever be stuttering on the locals? He used the stealth antenna which should work fine as most of the locals are on two towers about 5 miles from us and within sight. Thanks!

I had Voom installed this past Tuesday. The install was smooth with the exception of scheduling. He was scheduled to be at my house between 12PM and 5PM. He showed up at 5:30. Two hours later the dish and antenna were installed. I have been impressed with the HD quality so far, but the guide information didn't fully come in until yesterday afternoon. I did notice that the STB was updated last night to 05.68, and the receiver seems much more stable.

Two issues I hope someone can shed some light on are, my local channels and satellite signal strength. My local channels are not available on the reciever. I can pick them up via my antenna and tuner, but via the voom reciever and antenna the locals are not available. Diplexer was installed. The signal strength for the antenna is zero, so I'm guessing its an install issue. I did try using my antenna on the voom reciever, but still no luck. The installer told me they might appear sometime soon. He probably needs to reappear at my house to fix this problem. The other issue, is my satellite signal is 70 and the quality is 97. I have a clear view. Should the signal strength be higher, or does it matter since the quality is 97?

slatimer said:
I had Voom installed this past Tuesday. The install was smooth with the exception of scheduling. He was scheduled to be at my house between 12PM and 5PM. He showed up at 5:30. Two hours later the dish and antenna were installed. I have been impressed with the HD quality so far, but the guide information didn't fully come in until yesterday afternoon. I did notice that the STB was updated last night to 05.68, and the receiver seems much more stable.

Two issues I hope someone can shed some light on are, my local channels and satellite signal strength. My local channels are not available on the reciever. I can pick them up via my antenna and tuner, but via the voom reciever and antenna the locals are not available. Diplexer was installed. The signal strength for the antenna is zero, so I'm guessing its an install issue. I did try using my antenna on the voom reciever, but still no luck. The installer told me they might appear sometime soon. He probably needs to reappear at my house to fix this problem. The other issue, is my satellite signal is 70 and the quality is 97. I have a clear view. Should the signal strength be higher, or does it matter since the quality is 97?

Which local channels show up on your PG? Go to the following site:

http://tvlistings4.zap2it.com/cabdbs/grid.asp?partner_id=cabdbs

put your zipcode and see if your local channels show up in that site. Report back.

flipper2001 said:
Well to update my info from yday. I called Installs Inc to speak to installer but they said there is not one that is assigned, it will take place on the day before install. I asked about making sure there is a second cable run for antenna, they said they DONT do that. They said i would be charged for any materials not in the voom package.. Oh boy.. not even installed and im not liking it.

call again I am surprised that they are telling you that they will find out the day before the install who is going to be the installer. They usually know because they have to ship the equipment to the installer. They won't tell you who the installer is but you could ask them to have the installer call you. One thing about Installs Inc CSRs, it depends who you got on the phone. Up to 4 lines are included in the free installation. The CSR that you spoke to at Installs Inc did not know this.

10 total. Program guide does show them, but I can't pick up a signal for any of them. I'm able to pick up all of them via my internal tuner and antenna, but still not able to get any signal via the voom reciever or antenna. I'm also 12 miles from the broadcast station/antennas.

bbtkd,

to find the software version go, VOOM button ---> Green Button ---> System Settings ----> option #7 ----> use scroll button to scroll down page until you hit the software version page. Report back

Ok, now for a less rushed version of the voom install from yesterday. Like I said the installer was a HERO. Guy even hit a hole in one on lining the dish up, just put it up there before he tighted anything down, Hooked up his signal meter and it went nuts. He laughed and said "that will NEVER happen again". He had eyeballed it right on the money. NICE. He suggested running the two lines instead of the diplexer, again I was pleasently suprised. I watched Ice Age for my first taste of hdtv and was BLOWN away! I was also happy that my locals were coming in and I even watched Enterprise on UPN with a signal strenght of 82!!!! My Voom sig strenght was late 50's early 60's and a power in the 70's. I had a couple of micro stutters, but nothing that bothered me, and I thought the PQ was outstanding. Now I know that there are current PQ issues, but if this is how it looks when it's bad... WHWHHWOHWOWOOOOWOHWOHWOO!!!!

Sean Mota said:
bbtkd,

to find the software version go, VOOM button ---> Green Button ---> System Settings ----> option #7 ----> use scroll button to scroll down page until you hit the software version page. Report back

OK - it says Current version V00.05.08 and target V00.00.68. Sounds to me like it did not update, but wants to. I wonder why it didn't? I saw an earlier post indicating that new boxes get loaded at the next 4AM download. Do I need to do anything to get it to do it? Last night I just left it on. Thanks!

Press the sat button to put the unit into standby. This should allow the download to occur. It may take 2 or 3 nights though as it depends where you are in thier system.

Bill

Phoenix, AZ My VOOM Install (LOOOONG)
First off I can't see where Sears is doing them (VOOM) any justice. Metro Center Sears seems to have only one guy who knows anything about the program, in short if he isn't there forget it. Arrowhead Sears is slightly better,they have a working VOOM set up, looks like sh*t but works, out dated literature and knew about less than I did. Bought any way on friday 4-16.

Went out to truck handed wife cell phone to call VOOM to set up install after what seemed to be an inordinate amount of time the install was set up for wensday 4-21 between noon and 5, works for me! (My day off)

Fast foreward to Tuesday evening, after reading the horror stories here and elsewhere I figure I'll nip some of this B.S. in the bud. Ran over to Radio Shack bought RG6 dug out an old POS Dish system and installed it on E? at 61.5. Knew I had LOS and Good signal and the second coax.

Wensday, come home from doctor appointment about 10:30 get a cold Cokeout of fridge and somebody beating on front door. Installer for my VOOM, seems he had been waiting accross the street at IHOP for me to get home.
(Why??) Seemed like a nice enough guy, but sort of started into a song and dance routine have to see where to put it Blah,Blah. I told him I know where to put it and if he would just bring all the equipment into the house, hook up the reciever he could see for him self. I stacked the reciever on top of the tv
and told him to hook up the cable marked VOOM, Surprise, Surprise up it came. After that things smothed out a bit. I told him look all you gotta do is
pull the old Dish off the mount and install the VOOM dish on it, and run the
cable for the Channel Master antenna and after a brief discussion of we use a diplexer and not on this installation you're not! things got back on track sort of, I had a pull wire to the attic but I was told it is a $50 charge if he went int the attic, nooo problemo I'll pull it and hand it out to the installer.

Wires run, equipment live, sat pictures but no of the air no signal,Installer said to give it 24 hours for the mapping to down load. Hmm?? Anyway he left,
and some where in the back of my brain I thought I remember someones installer hooking up the OTA antenna to the wrong F connector. Started
rooting through the boxes he left, hmmm Diplexer for back of reciever, unit for antenna end, whats this Motorola part???? Looks like he never installed
the OTA tuner module. Installed it myself,still no OTA signal.

Went out to dinner with friends, came home to find paperwork on door from Intalls Inc. 6:05 PM sorry we missed you please call to reschedule.????

Woke up next morning reciever locked up, wife not impressed, on the phone to VOOM, VOOM calls Installs Inc., who calls Synergy who has one of their people call me. In the interim I figured what the hell and pulled the plug, waited about a minute and plugged it back in. The reciever came back to life
fully OTA channels and sat channels. About this time the contractor for Synergy called back, said he would carry a spare reciever in his car and if we had any more problems, call and he would swap it out.

Trust me this is the condensed version.
Conclusion,Voom subs installs to Installs INC.,who subs to Synergy,who subs
to independent contractors, who in my case was very knowledgable and competent over all but not on this Motorola reciever. I believe he could do D**** TV and E**** all day very successfully.

I had some major issues with the install a week ago and posted to this board but after today I am happily vooming along. A different installer was all it took and these guys were great. Helpful, fast, and knowledgeable. They brought the upgraded antenia but it stll was not enough to get local channels. I am going to pay Cox for just the local channels. This is the BEST my TV has ever looked. I have the older Sony 36" XBR tube and I never knew it could look so good.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)