VOOM Installations

elocs said:
My install is on Tuesday. I have had it confirmed with both Installs and with VOOM, although I did not get the number for the installer. Installs would not give it and VOOM did not offer it and said I might be contacted, but it was not required. I am not too worried because I work 3rd shift and taking care of business during the day is no problem.
I will get the installer's number and call if nothing happens on Tuesday.

What I would like to know is there a place where I could go to print the installation agreement so I could refer it to the installer if there is a question about what is provided, such as a tripod or lengths of cable? I am concerned about my LOS because there is a 3 story apartment building across the street, but I also have neighbors just to the east and west of me that have Dish.

Three more days until I get Voomed. I am hoping for the best. Pleasssse!

It is something similar to this but now they are including the DVI cable.

Dear Sean Mota,
Thank you for your recent VOOM purchase. You're one step closer to life in high definition! Here are some details and suggestions to help you prepare for VOOM installation.

Contact Information For Your Installer
Your local installer will be contacting you to confirm your installation appointment. If you need to reach them, here is their contact information:

Company: Installs Inc
Phone Number: (888) 987-3474
E-mail Address: DISPATCH@INSTALLS.COM

Getting Ready For Installation
Keep in mind that the installer will need to go in and out of your house to check the VOOM equipment setup and ensure the best possible performance of your exciting new system. Please clear a path to your TV set(s) and disconnect all wiring to ensure easy access and quicker setup time.

Installation Overview
You have requested an installation for VOOM 2 ROOM INSTALLATION. Your installation will include (specific procedure varies by installation type purchased):

Mount 18-inch or elliptical satellite antenna on an exterior structure of your home, and align to appropriate satellite(s).
Mount any and all digital antenna materials that will facilitate improved VOOM reception.
Route up to four lines of up to 125 feet (per run) of coaxial cable to HD receiver(s) using customer-provided multi-switch.
Ground satellite antenna and cable to local/NEC standards.
Connect HD receiver(s) to existing hard-wired phone jack(s) using supplied wire in DBS boxes.
Program supplied remote(s) to your TV set(s).
Activate customer-selected programming.
Provide instruction to familiarize the customer with the basic use of the system.

Additional Services
If you request the installer to perform additional work beyond what is included in the scope of work, the technician will provide a quote for the requested work prior to beginning the installation. Some examples of work resulting in additional charges include:

Wall-fishing to conceal cables in your walls (pricing varies based on access to wall(s) to be fished)
Pole mount, non-penetrating roof mount (pricing varies based on type of mount necessary)
Cable burial (pricing varies based on length and type of burial)
Installations requiring a 40-foot ladder (pricing based on local rental rate)

Any additional work you request or require will be determined by your technician and approved by you before the work begins. You will pay your technician directly for any additional services. This will be part of the confirmation call.

Thanks Again!
Thanks again for choosing VOOM! If you have any questions or concerns with regards to your order, please call 800-GET- VOOM

So I should expect an email before the install? Would it be from VOOM or from installs? I have read that info before, but I don't know if it was from quoted material or the actual webpage.

If you called Voom for you install then you should get an email frim installs inc prior to installation.

Bill

thanks sean!

sean moto,
thank you for your advice.i am calling installs inc. and let them know.your knowledge on voom is incredible and the fact that you help everyone out is awseome!
thanks alot,
jeff

After much doing, wife convincing etc., it looks like I wont be able to get Voom after all.
I have done a check and it look's like there are trees in the way, no matter where on my property I check from.
The 14 deg. elev. here is a killer for getting a line of site to the sat.
I have a left-over 18 in. dish and borrowed a friends dish recever.
If I can get a sig from dish's sat. at 61.5 I'm good to go.
One spot did not work, so I'm down to the only one left.
On the side of a tree, at the east side of my property.
And it has some branches in the way.
Some mine and 2 on a neighbors tree.
Looks to be the only way I can do it is to put the dish 50 feet up a cedar tree.
I will let the installer do a site survey, to confirm my findings.
But it's not lookin good at all. :(

I e-mailed dish to ask when they will add more hd.
They said that they plan to have more hd chnls. than any other provider.
But the don't say 'when', next decade?
So looks like I'm stuck with a 34xbr800 and only 4 chnls. of hd to watch.
J

Hi Who Me?

Our install comes up this Friday, 5/21. Looks iffy here, too. That's why I have not even purchased HDTV yet. Without VOOM why bother? If VOOM happens, Sony will sell a 34XBR910. If not, I'll wait for somebody to launch a HD bird for California.

- 1080iWannaBe
Santa Rosa, CA

First posting by a new member

Hi all, great forum......

I just signed up with Voom and the installation is this coming Friday. I can't wait. I have some tall trees nearby so I was a little worried so I went out and got a compass. Using the compass, laser level, etc, I determined that the top of the tree from the expected location of the dish is about 33 degrees elevation. I live in MA (01532) and I think the azimuth is 180, elevation is 40 degrees from where I am. Can someone verify these two numbers?? Thanks.

I think I have a clear LOS, safely clearing the treetops.

I did get an email from Installs Inc informing that the installer will be S.V.I. from NH. Has anyone experienced with this installer?

From reading old postings, I learned to insist on having 2 separate coax lines instead of having diplexers. I actaully can receive all Boston HD signals with just a small indoor antenna (I think it's called Silver Bullet from Zenith, bought at Circuit City) so I might not need an external OTA antenna.

Any advices for me while I am here couting days and hours?

Thanks,

Trimed some branches, made a flat spot on the side of a tree.
Mounted a 18" dish and got a 75 sig. level from dish's sat at 61.5 :D
Other than the dish is in the SE corner of my property.
And I think I will have the installer string the coax over head.
As I plan on landscaping the back yard over the next 18Mo.
And running the cable underground will be in the way.
It looks like I'm good to go.
Voom here we come!

no voom install yet

had an appointment yesterday between 12-5 the installer called yesterday from prostardigital, said his vehicle broke down and could not make it yesterday, so he asked me if he could do it today, its about 5:00 pm est. and he has not called me yet, i have stayed home for 2 days now waiting around for him to show, is this supposed to be the way it works?

Cable and satellite installers are notorious for their inability to arrive on time. VOOM uses the same installers as Dish and DirecTV. I recommend people rent a few DVDs to watch, or plan to do some work around the house, so you don't sit around twiddling your thumbs.

Re: First posting by a new member

The bird is rather high up in the sky, so you'd be suprised how much coverage you'll get in MA. I'm down here in sunny RI. If you got the same installer I got, when they install your OTA antenna, be careful that he installs the so-called "amplifier" (I'm convinced everyone who doesn't know how these things work think that if it plugs in it's an amplifier). Anyway, that little amplifier is actually the DC bias source for the amplifier in the ChannelMaster OTA antenna. No bias, no power, no OTA..... Also, look in some of the other threads for proper grounding techniques. I've just spent the morning on the roof installing grounding blocks and running a ground to the house ground rod.

Picture

I don't have voom yet, but I hear a lot of people talk about moving the dish around to get better reception. Is this a necessary thing to do if you want to maintain a good picture, or do people just like to mess around with these things? It seems like an awful lot of work if it is necessary to maintain a good picture.

This is only true in cases where the installer did not do a great job peaking the satellite. Mine was installed and never had to repeak because installer knew what he was doing.

If his name is Steve I had the same installer and same excuse. Call Voom and complain and they will call Prostar and get it right.

unprofessional installers

If these installers are notorious for not being on time and they do not call, then they are unprofessional, plain and simple. Anybody can be late, but it is inexcussable not to call when you know the customer is waiting, possibly taking time off from work. Under the circumstances, if these installers have any class at all, they will make a short and simple call to the customer letting them know they are running late or will not come.

My install is on Tuesday, and if I get any of that kind of treatment I will call both Installs and VOOM and let them know how I feel. These installers are probably the only face to face contact that any of us will have with anyone related to VOOM. They make not work for VOOM, but they surely represent VOOM to the customer. Also, if my install goes well and the installer does well and treats me well, I will let Installs and VOOM know about that also. God, I hope it goes well.

how high is high?

I am in Wisconsin at about the same latitude as Boston.
My install is on Tuesday and I am worried about LOS because I have a 2 story apartment building across the street, nearly exactly to the SE of me. It would be a bummer to find out they cannot do it. There is a house 3 doors down that has Dish and it is pointed towards the same apartment, although to the SW, I guess.

Need For Coaxial Cable Between Receivers For DVR?

My install is tomorrow morning. 2 receiver install.
I know I want 2 lines run (no diplexer), but now I'm wondering if I should go ahead and get an additional line run between my living room receiver and my bedroom receiver to be ready for the Voom DVR since that appears to be the way Voom will be making this connection between the two.
I know I would have to pay extra but it should be alot cheaper during this install trip than it would be to install just the DVR in a few months. Am I correct in my thinking?
Thanks.

luxnet:
180 and 40 looks right.
I put your zip code into my dish6000 and punched up the sat at 61.5
180/40 is what came up.

elocs--good post. It's easy to complain when things don't go right, but these guys need feedback when things go well too. Good luck tomorrow!!! We'll send some some good Voom vibes to Wisconsin for you.

Call Prostar Digital and talk to Matt. He seems to be the one in charge of the installers.

614-476-9669

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts