VOOM Installations

I guess I got lucky!

Install happened today! I was sweating bullets before they got here -- concerned we probably couldn't get VOOM at all at our location. No problem for these guys! They actually showed up right on time and did a very neat install and peaked the dish. PQ has been superb, no pixelization, nothing less than a perfect picture on every channel. We are really impressed! I haven't stepped away from the tube all afternoon and evening until now.

We didn't even bother with the OTA antenna. We are located too far from SF to get more than 2 mediocre local stations according to antennaweb. We will stick with local cable for now to get our SF stations with our VaVaVOOM.

Now the negatives: No DVI cable provided! And no documentation! Plus, they charged me $75 to crawl under the house and $50 to use a tall ladder. Huh? The installer's CSR called me after they left to ask how it went. I mentioned the missing stuff, and she promised to FedEx the stuff this week. But, so much for the "free install" I was promised. I also bought a wireless phone jack system from them and a surge protector.

Here's a weird one I haven't seen in any previous posts... The installer brought an attache case containing all his paperwork. He left it open and lying in a conspicuous place in our living room with a pocket folder showing the word "TIPS" with a few dead presidents folded up in there! Not too subtle! They did a very neat job, but only what I would consider a "normal install". I considered the extra $125 I paid as their TIP, so I wasn't about to shove more cash into that pocket.

The time showing right now on the VOOM box is an hour off, and the box locked-up a couple of times already this evening. I know that both of these are symptoms of the old software which I expect to be corrected by morning after the update download.

So far I really like all the VOOM programming, even the old flicks some people complain about. Maybe the eye candy effect will wear off, but so far I love all the pretty pictures.

Anyway, the fact that they had equipment for me, showed up on time, did a great install, and got VOOM working, makes me feel like one lucky guy today!

1080iWannabe said:
Install happened today! ...

Now the negatives: No DVI cable provided! And no documentation! Plus, they charged me $75 to crawl under the house and $50 to use a tall ladder. Huh? The installer's CSR called me after they left to ask how it went. I mentioned the missing stuff, and she promised to FedEx the stuff this week. But, so much for the "free install" I was promised. I also bought a wireless phone jack system from them and a surge protector.

Here's a weird one I haven't seen in any previous posts... The installer brought an attache case containing all his paperwork. He left it open and lying in a conspicuous place in our living room with a pocket folder showing the word "TIPS" with a few dead presidents folded up in there! Not too subtle! They did a very neat job, but only what I would consider a "normal install". I considered the extra $125 I paid as their TIP, so I wasn't about to shove more cash into that pocket.

The DVI cable should be included - it came in the kit that my installer opened in front of me. I needed component since I don't have DVI, so he grabbed one out of the truck - at no cost - and even left the DVI cable.

As far as the additional charges, they are allowed to charge additionally in some cases. Fishing through walls can be extra, so the crawling under may be categorized that way. The ladder should not have cost extra - but check with the new contact that replaced Joe Harkins.

Tips? Never heard of that. They are being paid. I have never heard of tipping people on service calls and I doubt that's the image Installers, Inc wants. That may be worth mentioning to Joe's replacement.

I'm glad you like the service itself - but be prepared for outages every time it rains. When this does happen, call and tell them you are experiencing rain fade and a larger dish is needed. If the CSR won't do it, ask for a supervisor.

I ordered Voom last week and it will be installed on the 25th (tuesday). Im looking forward to it and will let you know how it went. I had many questions but this forum answered a lot of them. I still have several. My set is a 65711 Mits that has a intergrated HD unit. I'm using a stealth antenna and get most of the local channels in HD already. Should I keep them that way or hook them up through the VOOM receiver? Also is there any thread that describes which connection goes where? i see pictures that just show the back of the unit but no hook-up. This includes a VCR-DVD combo hook-up and A/V receiver.

Tobar said:
I ordered Voom last week and it will be installed on the 25th (tuesday). Im looking forward to it and will let you know how it went. I had many questions but this forum answered a lot of them. I still have several. My set is a 65711 Mits that has a intergrated HD unit. I'm using a stealth antenna and get most of the local channels in HD already. Should I keep them that way or hook them up through the VOOM receiver? Also is there any thread that describes which connection goes where? i see pictures that just show the back of the unit but no hook-up. This includes a VCR-DVD combo hook-up and A/V receiver.

You can keep both connections of OTA. Just buy a 5 db splitter at Radio Shack. The advantage to have the OTAs through VOOM is that you get the integrated PG for OTA stations. I do not know if you get with your integrate HD tuner. Also, when DVR comes out you would like the opportunity to record your OTA HD stations.

I think we only included pictures of those connections necessary to the back of receiver. See the FAQ for stb in the FAQ forum. Hope that helps and welcome to the forum and VOOM.

Thanks for the answers. I'll let you know what happened with the install. I'm also running Surewest Cable here in Sacramento as a backup on my other TV's.

Diplexers work fine

I had Voom installed 3 days ago with 2 coax cables coming down to my basements, then to a diplexer and a single cable going up to the receiver's diplexer. To find out out how lossy theose diplexers are, I disconnected them and connected the sat cable directly by itself, then I tried the same thing with the OTA cable. The difference was barely noticeable. On the sat side, the signal strength remain unchanged at 94-95. On the OTA side, one local station went from 75 to 73, another station went from 55 to 54, degrading just slightly with the diplexers. So I decided to keep the diplexers and not bother with 2nd coax.

I live about 25 west of Boston (about 20 miles from the TV towers) and with the Stealth antenna, I get all Boston stations with signal strength around 70's. I had to rotate the antenna about 90 degrees and move it up from where the installer left it. He had the OTA pointing the same direction as the dish, which is due south. He also had the OTA antenna placed so low on the dish mast that it was almost touching the roof shingles.

THe HD stations are amazing but I quickly realize that there aren't many programs worth watching but I still stay up late at night just staring at the beautiful image. I like the WorldSports station, those soccer games are amazing in HD!

After finding out that I have to keep the reciever box off in order to get the firmware update, I did so yesterday and the SAT signal strength went from 60 to 94. Also the length of time it takes for the channel lock went from 6-7 seconds to less than 2 seconds.

The picture quality on SD is much much worse than what I get from digital cable. Stations such as CNN, ESPN, etc look lousy on Voom. I don't know why. Does anyone know???

Jeff_in_MA said:
I had Voom installed 3 days ago with 2 coax cables coming down to my basements, then to a diplexer and a single cable going up to the receiver's diplexer. To find out out how lossy theose diplexers are, I disconnected them and connected the sat cable directly by itself, then I tried the same thing with the OTA cable. The difference was barely noticeable. On the sat side, the signal strength remain unchanged at 94-95. On the OTA side, one local station went from 75 to 73, another station went from 55 to 54, degrading just slightly with the diplexers. So I decided to keep the diplexers and not bother with 2nd coax.

Jeff,
Thanks for your post about DIPLEXERS! I too know and feel the same way you do! THE DIPLEXERS WORK EXACTLY AS THEY ARE DESIGNED BY CHANNEL MASTER!
Now if everyone else that is "listening" to the wrong info about diplexers, then there will be less wasted time with people demanding their "rights" with Installs Inc. installers, which by the way the scope of work is to install the diplexers, and 2nd cable when it's a PVR/DVR STB, which VOOM at this time is not.
Thankfully, now there may be less bla-bla-bla on these post about the 2nd cable and not using diplexers.

You da man Jeff! Thanks for a great post!

VOOM in San Jose, CA anyone?

Great forum here guys!

just been reading through this thread for the last hour or so and, i'm about call in for VOOM tomorrow. But, seeing that the installation can be very "iffy" I was wondering if anyone can chime in about the installation and quality of the service in the San Jose, CA area. Specifically south San Jose (85 and 87).

I'm a complete newb at this satellite thing, so I wouldn't know about compass directions and which way I'm suppose to face for the satellite feed. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

p.s. I've tried doing a search in this thread and came up with nothing really specific for my area, maybe no one has come across this site from my area. oh well, here's hoping =)

p.p.s. finally (hopefully) get to see some HD content on my HDTV that I've had for almost a year now!

FuSioN said:
Great forum here guys!

just been reading through this thread for the last hour or so and, i'm about call in for VOOM tomorrow. But, seeing that the installation can be very "iffy" I was wondering if anyone can chime in about the installation and quality of the service in the San Jose, CA area. Specifically south San Jose (85 and 87).

I'm a complete newb at this satellite thing, so I wouldn't know about compass directions and which way I'm suppose to face for the satellite feed. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

p.s. I've tried doing a search in this thread and came up with nothing really specific for my area, maybe no one has come across this site from my area. oh well, here's hoping =)

p.p.s. finally (hopefully) get to see some HD content on my HDTV that I've had for almost a year now!

Try the local Voom forum. There are few people in CA that have posted.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/forumdisplay.php?forumid=45

DishConnect did my install in the Bay Area

FuSioN said:
Great forum here guys!

I was wondering if anyone can chime in about the installation and quality of the service in the San Jose, CA area. Specifically south San Jose (85 and 87).

I have two homes, one in Denver CO and one in San Ramon CA.
In both areas a company called DishConnect installed mine. I'm VOOMing all the time as I travel between the two cities!

I was very impressed with the complete installation process from them in both cities.
They fully explained and answered my questions before the installation and in both cases the installers showed on time and were very professional.

I have no idea if VOOM will assign them to you, good luck, whatever you do, just communicate with them well when they call you.

I understand from other posts that VOOM is temp. low on inventory and your installation date will probably be pushed out further than you may have been told originally, this is just an FYI from other posts I've seen.

Let us know who you were assigned to and what the experience is.

1080iWannabe said:
Install happened today! I was sweating bullets before they got here -- concerned we probably couldn't get VOOM at all at our location. No problem for these guys! They actually showed up right on time and did a very neat install and peaked the dish. PQ has been superb, no pixelization, nothing less than a perfect picture on every channel. We are really impressed!

Anyway, the fact that they had equipment for me, showed up on time, did a great install, and got VOOM working, makes me feel like one lucky guy today!

Fantastic your VOOMing now or now you "be 1080i"

If I recall DishConnect was the main company? They did both of my installs and I was very impressed with the professionalism and promptness and follow-up as it sounds you had; except for your uneasyness about a "tip" jar. I agree that dosen't sound professional either, maybe that installer is also a street performer during the weekends! :D
I did tip both of the DishConnect techs because they did a great job and showed respect for my homes and property. Neither had a tip jar out and infact the installer in CA, Rick, first refused it, but I made him anyway. No big deal $20.00.

As far as the additional charges, being a installer at one time many years ago, they are paid on a flat rate with a very specific scope of work. Running the cable in attic/crawlspace in-wall ect. is usually NOT part of any standard "free" install.
The tall ladder charge is very common all over the country. The standard ladder use is 24'. If the tech needs to become an acrobat or wrangle a tall ladder, and I believe you said you had a 40'er, then hanging like a monkey can be considered "extra".

I found out from a friend of mine that VOOM has had a recent shortage of some equipment and also some of the accessories that are included in the system. Too bad that caused an issue for your installation, but sounds like DishConnect is taking care of it for you. If they don't, let Joe Harkins new replacement person know.

Welcome aboard the VOOM train at full 1080i speed!

sat4me said:
Jeff,
Thanks for your post about DIPLEXERS! I too know and feel the same way you do! THE DIPLEXERS WORK EXACTLY AS THEY ARE DESIGNED BY CHANNEL MASTER!
Now if everyone else that is "listening" to the wrong info about diplexers, then there will be less wasted time with people demanding their "rights" with Installs Inc. installers, which by the way the scope of work is to install the diplexers, and 2nd cable when it's a PVR/DVR STB, which VOOM at this time is not.
Thankfully, now there may be less bla-bla-bla on these post about the 2nd cable and not using diplexers.

You da man Jeff! Thanks for a great post!

sat4me,

you are convincing everybody that diplexer might not be bad after all :). Good. Thanks for the great help.

I have signed up and have scheduled my installation for June 7th. I had the issue with the e-mail and a few others setting up the installation, but it's on the way. I currently have Comcast and the HD is nice but I want more, and the regular channels are terrible, hopefully Voom will be better for SD, my cable modem barely comes online so i have a feeling my house is at the end of the line, power too low...

Anyway, I have a couple questions, I'm worried about trees, but i plugged up my old DirecTV box for teh first time in 2 years just to see how good the signal was, and I was getting high 80's, should I expect a similar quality or better with Voom? (I know the angle is slightly different).

Also, I have two stories in front, and three stories in back with the basement, should I expect to pay more for installation?

TIA, hope to be Vooming in a couple weeks...

I had Voom installed on Friday and I have 2 local channels that are not coming in. And then sometime other local channels do not come in either. I went to www.antennaweb.org website and did a search on my address and here is what it returned.

43.1 FOX 21.3 Miles away (never comes in)
25 NBC 5.8 Miles away (Channel comes in sometimes but most of the time does not.)
47 PBS 5.7 Miles away (Getting Signal)
19.1 ABC 4.0 Miles away (Getting Signal)
30.1 CBS 5.6 Miles away (Getting Signal)
39.1 UPN 6.8 Miles away (Getting Signal)

Installer installed a Winegard MS-2000 which I noticed is an amplified antenna. I noticed the installer did not hook up the power supply when he installed the antenna either. There is a diplexor on the roof of the house. The channels that I am getting signals on work most of the time....there is times when I do not get a signal. The installer ran two lines from the diplexor on the roof into the house and ran one to the living room and the other to the bedroom. Should I move the diplexor to the inside of the house so I can install the amplifier to just the Antenna? I am confused on what I should do. I just noticed this after the installer left. Should I call and complain to the installer that they didn't hook it up right? Will the amplifier help things or not?

Hey sat4me, thank you! And yes, DishConnect was the company that contracted our installers. They might be reliable, but I called VOOM just to make sure I will get my DVI cable. I can't believe VOOM is sending an installer just to bring out and hookup a DVI cable. If you have the email address for Joe Harkin's replacement, please post it here. Thanks!

And to negreenfield, I hope your install goes as well as ours did. My VOOM signal strength is 95 or higher. I think they peaked my dish really well. I have no idea if VOOM measures signal strength on the same scale that DirecTV uses. On your question about VOOM versus Comcast on SD quality, we have looked into exactly that. We did a split screen with the same SD channel from VOOM and Comcast side-by-side. VOOM SD is slightly better, but I have to look closely at both to notice any difference at all. I did notice that the programming on some VOOM SD channels run a few seconds behind Comcast. Whatever. Your location for getting VOOM is a crap shoot, but those installer guys are pretty resourceful about finding a spot to make it work.

Anyway, good luck!

My signal strength hovers around 50 after the installer installed my dish. I noticed other people saying they have a strength in the 90s. I am concerned because I know my signal will drop lower when rains. Is there anything I can do to boost the signal. I live in Cental Illinois.

I just checked my signal and I can even get any stations signal strength is around 30 right now. This Sucks!!

Martin said:
Installer installed a Winegard MS-2000 which I noticed is an amplified antenna. I noticed the installer did not hook up the power supply when he installed the antenna either. There is a diplexor on the roof of the house. The channels that I am getting signals on work most of the time....there is times when I do not get a signal. The installer ran two lines from the diplexor on the roof into the house and ran one to the living room and the other to the bedroom. Should I move the diplexor to the inside of the house so I can install the amplifier to just the Antenna? I am confused on what I should do. I just noticed this after the installer left. Should I call and complain to the installer that they didn't hook it up right? Will the amplifier help things or not?
The installer connected it correctly. there is not a separate power supply for the MS2000. that antenna gets it's power from the STB and the power-passive dual channel master diplexer is REQUIRED, or no power will make it to the antenna.
The some-times-some-times-not signal is not uncommon right now with the crummy channel mapping motorola uses. this will be hopefully changed soon in the next download in June, when we will have auto-channel scanning for the OTA tuner.. can't wait for that either!
Hang in there....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)