VOOM Installations

Install Nightmare

I recently had Voom installed with 2 receivers to my Mitsubishi and Toshiba HDTV's. The reason for the post is that, I'm extremely frustrated with the Voom Experience. The product I love, the service ( Long Hold Times, Cancelled Installs, Botched Installs, Faulty Equipment, etc... ) I loathe.

I was initially scheduled for 8a-12p on June 9, in which I took off work for and was told that there was NO equipment ( One day's pay wasted ). I immediately contacted Voom and was rescheduled for June 19 @ 8a-12p. Now before I rip into the install, I must preface my statement by saying the actual installer was a decent , respectful and diligent worker.

With that said, let me begin. The installer calls around 9am stating he's on his way ( Good Sign ). Approximately 9:20am door bell rings and two gentleman greet me with " We're here to install your Voom Satellite " ( Good Sign ). After giving the grand tour of the house, the installers begin to prep for the install. Me being an anxious customer, I go outside and ask is there anything I can assist with. That's when the nightmare begins.

I notice the installers removing two Direct TV boxes out of the truck. At this point I ask the installer does he have the appropriate equipment. He initially attempts to reassure me everything is OK, until he opens both boxes and realizes it's actually Direct TV equipment ( You don't say ). The installer then tells me he'll have to go back to the warehouse and retrieve my equipment, but he'll definitely be back to finish the install.

Approximately 12:30pm the installer came back with the Voom Equipment. If you notice I said INSTALLER, the other gentleman had better things to do. Oh, did I mention the installer forgot the remotes and cables. Anyways, my frustation level is building because I've read in the forums that this happened and realized I'm unwillingly partaking in a botched Voom install. While hours pass by, the installer decides to contact his supervisor and have him come by and bring the rest of my equipment. Roughly 4:30pm, the installer's supervisor finally shows with the remotes and cables. Once the supervisor gives the once over from the work of his installer, they take an additional 2 hours to finally get almost everything working. The reason for the "almost" comment is because even after wasting an entire day my locals were/are NOT working ( Signal strength on both receivers - 17 ). I was told to wait 24 hours for an update that took 20 minutes but still NO LOCALS.

I'm not interested in getting anyone in trouble but just some sort of resolution...

Grande,
Welcome to the forum! Sorry to hear about your installation problems. Hope you can enjoy VOOM satellite channels now.

As for your OTA, you will need to call your installer (or VOOM or both) and ask them to finish the installation. Obviously it is not complete.

In the meantime, if you want we can try to troubleshoot it here at this forum. First of all, let's check your connections. Do you have a diplexer attached to the back of your STB? Or do you have two separate coax cables connected?

Ilya said:
Grande,
Welcome to the forum! Sorry to hear about your installation problems. Hope you can enjoy VOOM satellite channels now.

As for your OTA, you will need to call your installer (or VOOM or both) and ask them to finish the installation. Obviously it is not complete.

In the meantime, if you want we can try to troubleshoot it here at this forum. First of all, let's check your connections. Do you have a diplexer attached to the back of your STB? Or do you have two separate coax cables connected?

Actually contacted Voom and have a service call for Saturday ( 07/03/04 ).

As far as the connections are concerned, there is a diplexer attached to the back of both STB's. I've got an indoor antenna that I used to receive my locals with D* and I'll remove the diplexer and connect the indoor antenna to see what takes place.

Currently I've got another issue, where as one of the receivers suddenly won't power on ( via the remote or STB ). I disconnected the STB for about 20 seconds and now it's lit up like a christmas tree. Voom attempted to send a hit but status is the same hence the service call.

Trying hard to stay positive. Any help would be appreciated...

Thanx

Grande,

leave both receivers plug but turn them off (if you can). I do not know whether they both have the current software. It sounds like you have a faulty receiver. I do not know what's going on with your locals. In your PG do you see the correct local channels?

Sean Mota said:
Grande,

leave both receivers plug but turn them off (if you can). I do not know whether they both have the current software. It sounds like you have a faulty receiver. I do not know what's going on with your locals. In your PG do you see the correct local channels?

Both receivers have been upgraded to 5.68 and the locals in PG are appropriately assigned. Signal strength is aorund 17...

Grande said:
Both receivers have been upgraded to 5.68 and the locals in PG are appropriately assigned. Signal strength is aorund 17...

It sounds like you have one faulty receiver and somehow you are not getting your locals. Something is not right in your setup. It could be a faulty diplexer as well.

Walter L., your new "picture" is fabulous!

Is that what the heat is doing to you down south?

Still watching HDTV under cooling Seattle skies, Gill

Well i got my VOOM installed a week ago. man i love it!!! finally get to see some HD content on my TV. I just can't help but watch more TV, i'll waych shows i normally wouldn't see, only because of the HD signal. The quality is just great!

The installation went a bit longer than expected. installer checked comapss and told me that it should be an easy install. drills holes on he side of the house, and attaches the mounts. double checks the compass and sees that he's pointed in the wrong direction. out comes the mount and remounts it on the back of the house. attaches everything, checks TV for signal. only getting 12 on the signal strength. installer is pissed now cause his compass is telling him the right direction and his personal signal strength detector thingamabob is squeeling that he's also pointed in the right direction. so he takes the satellite down and points it in all directions in my back yard. checks the signal again at the other end of the backyard. BINGO! 52 signal strength. So, it looks like it was an apple tree that was peeking over the fence from my neighbors yard that was hindering the signal. attached teh 18in dish and the winegard antennae to the roof of the house. an installation that should have taken a little over an hour ended up taking almost 4 hours. Only complaint is that he didn't leave me some of the things that i was suppose to get: phone line, phone splitter, 8VSB, and most importantly (i think) the VOOM welcome package. That was taken care of by calling VOOM CS. They said they would have all those out to me soon.

One question I had is with my OTA channels. A couple channels like KPIX (CBS) receives signal and shows programming for like 3 seconds, freezes and goes black, and VOOM tells me saying that I have no signal. During the day when 2 of the PBS channels have an announcement up saying that they will broadcast later that night, I can receive that announcement broadcast fine. Once it's night time, I receive the channel for a couple seconds, freezes, goes black and VOOM tells me I'm not receiving a signal. Can any of you guys tell me what's causing that, and if it's fixable?

One last thing. I'm also receiving HDNet OTA on channel 4-1, when it should be KRON channel 4? any thoughts on that?

Should call VOOM?

Oh yeah, I'm out here in San Jose, CA

Thanks guys.

fusion,

go to antennaweb.org and check the how far you are from the transmitters. Also, check your direction. The Stealth Antenna has a 45 mile UHF and 30 miles VHF range. If you are too far out this maybe causing you losing the signal, and yo may need an upgraded antenna. The Stealth Antenna is highly directional and you do not point it to the correct direction of the transmitter, you may not get a signal. Last, if there is trees or buildings in the direction of the transmitter that it is blocking you, you may want to tweak the antenna (re-aiming) to see if you can get the signal.

occammd,

Thanks for the information. Hopefully I'll get correctly mapped soon.

Sean,

Yeah it looks like those channels are out the range of the antenna. They're around 48 miles out. To upgrade the antenna, I should just call VOOM and ask them to upgrade it for me? Will there be any extra charges?

Thanks guys.

FuSioN said:
occammd,

Thanks for the information. Hopefully I'll get correctly mapped soon.

Sean,

Yeah it looks like those channels are out the range of the antenna. They're around 48 miles out. To upgrade the antenna, I should just call VOOM and ask them to upgrade it for me? Will there be any extra charges?

Thanks guys.

Yes; actually it will be better if the installer can call them as well so that you can get a case. If that's not possible just give them a call and ask for an upgraded antenna. If they give you a hard time, send "Wilt Hildenbrand" wilth@optonline.net. an email. Let us know what happens. There will be no extra charges for upgrading the antenna.

How long is it reasonable to wait for someone from VOOM to schedule an appointment to check OTA problems? I called on Tuesday and was told that someone would call to schedule an appointment. It's now Thursday afternoon and still no call.

Kaysadeya said:
How long is it reasonable to wait for someone from VOOM to schedule an appointment to check OTA problems? I called on Tuesday and was told that someone would call to schedule an appointment. It's now Thursday afternoon and still no call.

Don't wait call back. You will probably never get a call back.

and keep calling

My OTA problem was reported at install time (6/10), I had to call 5 times to finally get a service call scheduled for tomorrow (6/26). Hope the installer makes it. Good luck and persistance pays...

Jeff

Install in T-6 days and counting

Am getting my install done this coming Saturday. Hope it goes smoothly. Have at least one question. I am getting a 2 receiver hookup. I have a multi-switch so that the sat signal can be sent to both receivers. My question is, if I want to run separate coax for the OTA, how is that done? Does the OTA antenna have two connectors, or do I need a splitter of some sort? Or do I have to use the diplexer since I am going to two receivers? After reading through the threads it seems that two lines are the best.

I am also wondering it anyone has installed the OTA antenna in the attic of their house. I have a very large attic that could easily accommodate it. Just wondering about signal loss. I am about 16 miles from towers and the roof is of the concrete tile type (Arizona Spanish roof).

Thanks for your help on these issues,

jbcaro

FuSioN said:
Well i got my VOOM installed a week ago. man i love it!!! finally get to see some HD content on my TV. I just can't help but watch more TV, i'll waych shows i normally wouldn't see, only because of the HD signal. The quality is just great!

The installation went a bit longer than expected. installer checked comapss and told me that it should be an easy install. drills holes on he side of the house, and attaches the mounts. double checks the compass and sees that he's pointed in the wrong direction. out comes the mount and remounts it on the back of the house. attaches everything, checks TV for signal. only getting 12 on the signal strength. installer is pissed now cause his compass is telling him the right direction and his personal signal strength detector thingamabob is squeeling that he's also pointed in the right direction. so he takes the satellite down and points it in all directions in my back yard. checks the signal again at the other end of the backyard. BINGO! 52 signal strength. So, it looks like it was an apple tree that was peeking over the fence from my neighbors yard that was hindering the signal. attached teh 18in dish and the winegard antennae to the roof of the house. an installation that should have taken a little over an hour ended up taking almost 4 hours. Only complaint is that he didn't leave me some of the things that i was suppose to get: phone line, phone splitter, 8VSB, and most importantly (i think) the VOOM welcome package. That was taken care of by calling VOOM CS. They said they would have all those out to me soon.

One question I had is with my OTA channels. A couple channels like KPIX (CBS) receives signal and shows programming for like 3 seconds, freezes and goes black, and VOOM tells me saying that I have no signal. During the day when 2 of the PBS channels have an announcement up saying that they will broadcast later that night, I can receive that announcement broadcast fine. Once it's night time, I receive the channel for a couple seconds, freezes, goes black and VOOM tells me I'm not receiving a signal. Can any of you guys tell me what's causing that, and if it's fixable?

One last thing. I'm also receiving HDNet OTA on channel 4-1, when it should be KRON channel 4? any thoughts on that?

Should call VOOM?

Oh yeah, I'm out here in San Jose, CA

Thanks guys.

Who was your Installer? I work for the company who installs in your area.

should have posted my install saga here

and not the main forum. god bless cut n paste.. Im in San Diego, btw:

I think it was months ago when I 1st dialed get-voom. In fact, the installer had to go back and forth over the phone with them because they said I cancelled. The installer said, "Ok, well, then why am I out here on a call? What do we do now?". Hillarious. My install went like this:

1. 1st guy came out and refused to install. Claimed no LOS. When I mentioned that it looked like he had a clear shot, he said, "well, you wont get OTA either. The concrete building will prevent you from getting any channels." Before he even saw my balcony he said he wont install unless it is like an open field w/o any buildings or structures/trees in the way.

2. I let him go and posted here. People say send another out. 2nd comes out (doesnt have tripod even though 1st installer knew I needed one). He says there is no LOS, but if I trim this tree, he'll come back out and install.

3. I get apt complex to hack the hell out of this tree (twice). It looks like it got hit by a cessna. 2nd installer comes out again. "oh, I forgot my tripod.. I had it. Where is the closest radio shack?". So, I decide if he has to drill to hold the legs of the tripod, he might as well drill into the side of the balcony. Bye-bye deposit. He doesn't have flat ribbon cable either, but no biggie as my screen door doesnt close all the way anyways.

overall, install went well. Took a long time to get them on the phone for activation. My signal got as high as 94, but after he attached the OTA antenna , it settled down to 88-90. He didn't seem concerned to get it back to 94.

Scanned all locals 91-100!! so much for installer #1's advice.

I don't have an HDTV yet. I also have time warner to check it out. People think I am nuts, but I want to make sure I can get HD before I drop 4k on a flat panel.

funny observations:
looks like the SD channels look better on S-vid than component.

the PG or main screen looks much better when 720p was selected than 480i. Even though both displayed at 480i. I guess the firmware in the box doesn't need to be precise when drawing 480i image. So, the downconverted 720 looks better.

oh, and FWIW, channels were getting stuck/paused, but one reset cleared all this.

When I get a HD set soon, I will be able to compare PQ voom vs TWC. If voom holds, I'll probably drop TWC, depending on how much I like INHD HDNET (they have both).

thanks all for your help,
jeremy

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts