Voom Networked Home Solution and Voom's DVR

Ken Thompson said:
Will a Tivo work with Voom? Will it just downconvert HD to SD on the composite and S-video outputs on the Motorola box? This may be an interim solutions until Voom releases it's HD PVR (I was told 6 months by a CSR a few days ago). I have no other means of recording off Voom at this time.
Sure. All SD recording solutions work with VOOM no problem: TiVo, VCR, DVD-writers, etc. It's just HD recording that is a problem.

From what I hear part of the reason for the delay on the VOOM DVR is that it will only work with WMV9 streams so VOOM cannot release until they convert to WMV9.

dreward said:
From what I hear part of the reason for the delay on the VOOM DVR is that it will only work with WMV9 streams so VOOM cannot release until they convert to WMV9.
If true, and based on VooMs MPEG-4 SD/HD implementation schedule, would this means the DVR may not be released until Spring '05 or later? I wouldn't think so! We will just have to make do with the available hard drive space using MPEG-2.

Perhaps I am mixing apples and oranges, but can't the DVR decode an MPEG-2 or MPEG-4 stream and encode it to the hard drive as a Windows Media File using WM9?

Anyway, here is an interesting paragraph regarding MPEG-4 recently filed by VooM leadership. There was no mentioned of WM9 compression:

Amendment 1 to Form 10 as filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission on July 29, 2004:

"Standard definition and high-definition are two formats of displaying digital television, with high-definition television offering more enhanced vertical and horizontal resolution and higher quality stereo sound as compared to standard definition television. High-definition channels display pictures that contain significantly more detail, resulting in much "crisper" pictures. When we transfer to MPEG-4 standard definition compression, which we anticipate occurring the first quarter of 2005, we will nearly double our capacity to deliver standard definition programming. Similarly, with the implementation of MPEG-4 high-definition compression, which we anticipate occurring in the fourth quarter of 2005, we will increase our high-definition capacity by 50%. For example, once the MPEG-4 conversion for standard definition and high-definition is complete, we will be able to offer a package of up to 58 high-definition channels and 176 standard definition services. However, we have not yet decided how we will allocate such increased capacity between standard and high-definition but expect to make that determination during 2005 based upon our perception of consumer preferences at that time."

So they aren't going to MPEG-4/WM9 until next year now??? Or do they mean 4Q 2004 for implementation and 1Q 2005 for the actual use of it?

SD - MPEG-4/WM9 1st Quarter 2005
HD - MPEG-4/WM9 4th Quarter 2005

The above dates were taken directly from the SEC Form filing and have been reported earlier on this forum. There are lots of moving pieces and parts in this transition and other things happening as well: dish upgrade, new channels, transponder lease 1 Oct, DVR release, MPEG-4/WM9 module for DSR-550, more new channels, MPEG-4/WM9 SD, Whole Home Networking release, more new channels, MPEG-4/WM9 HD. It will interesting to see what happens!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)