VOOM...NO MORE!!!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Cobra611

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 18, 2007
Beacon, NY
Other sites(including this one) are reporting the demise of the VOOM Networks...Cablevision will be replacing all 15 channels by the end of January. I posted this in the event you didn't see the main page.

Last edited:
VOOM shutting down

from today's MultiChannel News:

Rainbow Pulls Plug On Voom HD Service

Shutting Down Suite of 15 Networks

By Linda Moss -- Multichannel News, 12/18/2008 4:16:00 PM

Rainbow Media Holdings, blaming a loss of carriage on Dish Network and the expected lengthy litigation stemming from that drop, is shutting down the domestic operations of its beleaguered Voom HD, its suite of 15 HD networks.
voom275.jpg
Dish Network had been the largest distributor of the Voom HD services, but it dropped them in May in a contract dispute with Rainbow. That left Voom HD with only one U.S. distributor, Rainbow parent Cablevision Systems Corp., which will replace the HD services, reportedly in late January when they go off.
Rainbow filed suit against Dish Network, seeking $1 billion for what it claimed was Dish’s violation of a 15-year carriage deal, and the tangled case remains in court.
In a memo to employees Thursday, Rainbow president and CEO Joshua Sapan blamed the suit and the scenario with Dish Network for leading to the demise of Voom HD domestically. The Voom HD operation, which includes two networks, will keep its international business running where it reaches 32 million subscribers in 36 countries.
“As you may have heard, Rainbow has made the difficult and painful decision to shut down the domestic operations of Voom, which regrettably will result in layoffs,” Sapan said in the memo. “Voom's domestic business was made possible through an affiliation agreement between Rainbow and EchoStar, which was established in 2005.”
“Unfortunately, earlier this year, a significant legal dispute arose with EchoStar (now known as Dish Network),” he added. “While that lawsuit is progressing, the expectation is that it will be at least a year before any sort of resolution is reached. Therefore, we have been evaluating different strategies and plans for Voom's domestic business.”
Said Sapan, “Unfortunately, as we analyzed the opportunities and challenges in the current environment and the lawsuit, it became clear that we can no longer operate Voom domestically, particularly without EchoStar fulfilling its obligations and providing its support. Some Voom staff will remain at Rainbow to manage the operation of Voom internationally, using our expertise in content development and the depth of our HD programming library to seek new distribution opportunities around the world.”
A Rainbow spokesperson confirmed that Voom’s domestic operation was being closed, but declined to comment further, or discuss how many employees will lose their jobs. But those staffers reportedly won’t have to leave for 60 days.
Cablevision will replace the 15 Voom networks with other HD channels, with that transition most likely coming in late January.
“We will replace these channels with other quality HD programming and there will be no reduction in the number of high-definition channels available to our iO TV customers,” a Cablevision spokesman said. “We currently offer 68 HD channels without any additional equipment or programming fees, unlike our competitors, and expect our HD lineup to continue to expand in the coming months.”
Earler this week, Scripps Networks announced that it had hired Voom HD general manager Greg Moyer as president of Scripps Networks International.
Glenn Oakley, senior vice president of business development at Voom, will take over the international operations for the HD service.

FOR THE LOVVVVVVE OF GOD!!!!!!! PLEASE KEEP MONSTERS HD! PLEASE!

Heh. Yeah, I feel you on this. I didn't watch much of Voom but Monsters HD was definitely one of the channels I definitely enjoyed there. As much as I may miss some of the channels, this news does excite me to see what channels Cablevision replaces this with. Here's hoping 2009 brings many great offerings.

whatever they do i hope they dont replace them with more hd placeholders like nick, mtv, vh1 etc. that show zero hd programming. I hope that they start adding the multiplexes of the movie channels.

Mixed emotions also regarding the loss of VOOM. Enjoyed the four film stations, Equator, Game HD and programs like "Thunderbirds", however, the writing was on the wall as VOOM stopped adding new films to the library, kept repeating "Calavieri Rusticanna" on weekends and never aired "Johnny Cash at Folsom Prison" as advertised.

Besides stetch-o-vision stations like MTV also hope these 15 replacements are not just duplicate, west coast feeds of movie stations (which would mean those subscribing to HBO and Starz only would get just 12 if additions include duplicate feeds of Showtime, The Movie Channel and Cinemax)

Just hope the announcement of the new HD stations is made soon.

Mixed emotions also regarding the loss of VOOM. Enjoyed the four film stations, Equator, Game HD and programs like "Thunderbirds", however, the writing was on the wall as VOOM stopped adding new films to the library, kept repeating "Calavieri Rusticanna" on weekends and never aired "Johnny Cash at Folsom Prison" as advertised.

Besides stetch-o-vision stations like MTV also hope these 15 replacements are not just duplicate, west coast feeds of movie stations (which would mean those subscribing to HBO and Starz only would get just 12 if additions include duplicate feeds of Showtime, The Movie Channel and Cinemax)

Just hope the announcement of the new HD stations is made soon.
And lets hope that w/ the new channels that CV has finally come to its senses & that they will NOT be in that frakin' SDV b.s. that never worked :cool:

Can't really say I'm disappointed. Lets be honest, how many people actually watched those channels. MonstersHD was pretty good though, although after awhile it got boring.

Can't really say I'm disappointed. Lets be honest, how many people actually watched those channels. MonstersHD was pretty good though, although after awhile it got boring.

the same can be said about most of the national hd channels
i mean how many of them do you really watch
cv is only missing a few mainstream channels
with all the HD choices the novelity has worn off
it has become a numbers game
and the magic number is 100 HD channels!
out of the "100" how may really have hd content?

Voom was a good concept, but done wrong. 15 channels was too many channels. They should have consolidated it into about 3 or 4 channels, with less repeats, and this way it would have been viable. No other satellite or cable company was going to put on 15 channels of constant repeats. It was asking too much bandwith for too little programming.

the same can be said about most of the national hd channels
i mean how many of them do you really watch
cv is only missing a few mainstream channels
with all the HD choices the novelity has worn off
it has become a numbers game
and the magic number is 100 HD channels!
out of the "100" how may really have hd content?

Yeah, the over 100 channel spin is quite misleading - MTV, etc. has no HD content an others give minimal amounts in true 1080i. Even sci-fi HD has many programs windowboxed within a 16x9 aspect ratio.

Will also miss the fact that VOOM was at least without commerical interuptions.

CV notified the CT DPUC with the loss of VOOM but unfortunatly didn't include anything about any new channels. In fact they don't seem like they're planning on adding anything right away.
"As always, Cablevision remains dedicated to high definition programming and will be replacing this programming with other HD quality programming over the coming months. "
http://www.dpuc.state.ct.us/DPUCUnd...85256a63004def968525752e00536dd5?OpenDocument

What did you expect, it seems like all the dolan's are good at lately is reaching in your pocket. As far as business decisions they have no clue anymore!!! Never mind wasn't it the dad who didn't want voom anyway, so I guess he gets what he want at no matter the cost is. :eek:

Never mind wasn't it the dad who didn't want voom anyway, so I guess he gets what he want at no matter the cost is. :eek:

nope completely incorrect the father is the one who started it and fought to keep the satellite service running. the son and board members shut it down.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts