Voom no mpeg4 at CES 2005?????

vurbano

On Double Secret Probation
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 1, 2004
Newport News, VA
Well since I was expressing my dissapointment with Voom at CES 2005 on other threads I might as well add my biggest dissapointment of all that NO ONE has mentioned.

1. What company was the first to announce their intent to go mpeg4? Voom
2. What company claims their reciever is upgradeable to mpeg4? Voom
3. What company displayed the worlds first mpeg4 broadcast at CES????

Directv

WTF?????????????????

Again, IMO, Voom has totally fallen on its face at this one. Im sorry to be so negative lately, I suppose it will wear off. But one of the major reasons I came to voom was their promise to implement mpeg4. And to be upstaged by a behemouth that doesnt give a rats ass about HD PQ or quantity on the mpeg4 issue is pretty embarrassing.:(
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

I agree I thought that by now... MPEG4/WM9 was going to be a done deal but apparently it has fallen behind. The question is why? Is it so hard? When D* showed the MPEG-4 satellite signal. Was that immage received through an mpeg-4 receiver that they are planning to deploy? I am not sure I understood how they got the MPEG-4 video.

I know Sean, even though I dont have anything to do with Voom as a company I felt punched in the gut when I read D*'s press release on it. That should have been Voom's day in the sun. And sadly if they, D* manage to deploy mpeg4 accross all of their satellites in addition to all of the ones going up, well I dont think its even a contest.

I sadly have to agree with you :) If they do ever get MPEG-4 to work flowlessly and with the flee of satellite not only can they dominate in the dbs business but they will become the monopoly of monopoly leaving no room for any other dbs company. Isn't this why the FCC was trying to prevent? They will have all the cards and there will be competition between cable and them which it is very limited.

I guess there is a bright side. D*'s greed. With that much bandwidth they wont be able to resist expanding on IP services maybe even telephone and shoot themselves in the foot???

Guys, can you buy or even check out a D* STB with MPEG-4? No. Let's wait and see if they deliver.

I was told that MPEG-4 is up and working on a test channel at Voom. I was interested in the earlier announcement about WMV9, but only MPEG was addressed. I think I mentioned that the early DVRs will still have the slot for MPEG-4, but it will built into all STBs/DVRs mid year.

The interesting part of the DirecTV announcement that was left out was how many boxes will be obsoleted, including the DirecTV HD-250-10s.

Before you get too worked up about this MPEG4 encoding, Id wait to find out what the inherent problems are going to be. You may be wishing that you could roll back to MPEG2 before its over.

Even if D* was to bring it out first, that might actually be a good thing as their customers' can be the beta testers.

rudolpht said:
I was told that MPEG-4 is up and working on a test channel at Voom. I was interested in the earlier announcement about WMV9, but only MPEG was addressed. I think I mentioned that the early DVRs will still have the slot for MPEG-4, but it will built into all STBs/DVRs mid year.

The interesting part of the DirecTV announcement that was left out was how many boxes will be obsoleted, including the DirecTV HD-250-10s.
SO D* did not have he worlds first mpeg4 broadcast as they have touted on AVS? Who wants to go burst thier bubble? What ealier announcement about WMV9?

Perhaps some seperate threads should be made of these announcements?

1) We all know that Voom is on the selling block so whats the point.

2) The good news is we have 3 Sat providers competing to give us more bandwidth and more HD. The question is who will make money first?

3) Next year at this time it will more clear.

4) Relax and go watch some HD.

Have fun,
Greg

> The interesting part of the DirecTV announcement that was left out was how many boxes will be obsoleted, including the DirecTV HD-250-10s.

They are going to simulcast MPEG-2 and MPEG-4 for HD locals and other added channels. And later phase out MPEG-2.

Yes HR10-250 is going to get obsolete, but not definitely before DirecTV's Home Media Center comes in (late 2005 ~ early 2006), and probably some time after that.

Also, it is expected that (although no one can be certain) there will be an upgrade/replace path for existing MPEG-2-only HD units.

Hong.

hongcho said:
> The interesting part of the DirecTV announcement that was left out was how many boxes will be obsoleted, including the DirecTV HD-250-10s.

They are going to simulcast MPEG-2 and MPEG-4 for HD locals and other added channels. And later phase out MPEG-2.

Yes HR10-250 is going to get obsolete, but not definitely before DirecTV's Home Media Center comes in (late 2005 ~ early 2006), and probably some time after that.

Also, it is expected that (although no one can be certain) there will be an upgrade/replace path for existing MPEG-2-only HD units.

Hong.

I expect them to offer someting too but this is D* were talking about, they will take every oppertunity to assram their customers and will take this option... I see a minimum of $500 to buy the home networking dvr with trade in of HD-tivo.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)