Voom picture off to the left some

Neutron

Founding Supporter
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 7, 2003
Texas
Does anyone else have a small problem with the picture being shifted to the left a little to where it's cut off? Mine looks like that. I was told that it could take up to 24 hours for everything to be set up properly.

It's off by maybe 1/4 inch to the left. You can definately tell this on the guide and setup menus.

I did notice one setting in the menu for horizontal and vertical settings but it didn't help any.

Any suggestions? Voom says my TV could be the problem to, as in there should be a setting to adjust it. I know that the DVI connection overrides my being able to adjust the picture format.

Some folks, including myself, have had some overscan issues with our TV's. You're right, the controls in the Voom menu don't work. Unless you can find the service menu codes for your TV you may be out of luck. Also, try changing the output resolutions via the red button behind the door in the front of the STB or using component cables.

The lady on the phone had me cycle through the picture resolutions. My wife said 480p displayed everything correctly.

It's not too big of a deal, but I'm nitpicky on the TV. My Xbox and DVDs display fine.

If it's any consellation I have an RCA D52W20 TV.

Quite a few folks have had issues with RCA TV's. Do some searching and see if you can find whether or not they were ever able to resolve the issue. I wouldn't leave the STB on 480p if you can deal with the screen clipping.

Neutron said:
I have an RCA
I was about to ask...
I saw many posts about off-center position and excessive overscan (above 5%), most of these cases seem to be RCA-specific. There seam to be some incompatibility between VOOM and RCA over DVI...

P.S. No problems with my Sony GWIII.

I have no issue with centering VOOM on my pj, VOOM matches up just fine with my Dish 6000, DVHS deck, DVD player and DVD recorder.

"Edited for clarity. :no

Were not talking Dish...were talking Voom
I have a Philips with the same problem.............if we only had a STB that works our problem would be solved.
Don't go mucking around with your TV settings.....

rkr0923 said:
I have a Philips with the same problem.............if we only had a STB that works our problem would be solved.
If you are meticulous in tracking all changes, you can do what ever you want to your own TV as long as you realize that any damage incurred is your responsibility and could void your warranty.

So is there anything I can do?

Also, is there anyway to stretch the OTA channels that have the pillar bars on the 4:3 broadcasts?

I do have the setting to stretch in the Voom stb settings.

rkr0923 said:

rkr0923,

I had geometry problems with my 6000u from Dish and my Sony GWII. These had to do with the 4:3 images being off center. A simple service manual changes to the geometry menu changed that. This particular problem is not unique to VOOM; it could be to any TV and any STB. On the other hand, the VOOM stb geometry was perfect for my GWII. Before you ask, no it was not for the same input on the TV as the Dish 6000. In a nutshell, this is not a problem specific to VOOM.

Would the geometry settings be for each input or the TV as a whole? The picture looks fine on my DVD and XBOX as I said earlier. I don't want to change anything there.

How would I go about doing this?

Neutron said:
So is there anything I can do?

Also, is there anyway to stretch the OTA channels that have the pillar bars on the 4:3 broadcasts?

I do have the setting to stretch in the Voom stb settings.
You can't stretch the OTA channels with Voom STB, sorry. If your TV is adjusted properly as far as the Brightness and contrast goes burn is virtually a non-issue.

I found instructions on getting into your service menu...click here.
Be very careful and write down the original values before you change anything. You should look for something called hpos or some reference to horizontal size or position. BE VERY CAREFUL...WRITE EVERY ORIGINAL VALUE DOWN BEFORE CHANGING ANYTHING
I'm not yelling just emphasizing. :) And yes it is usually input specific.

Neutron said:
Would the geometry settings be for each input or the TV as a whole? The picture looks fine on my DVD and XBOX as I said earlier. I don't want to change anything there.

How would I go about doing this?

Neutron,

are you using DVI or component with VOOM? It looks like for RCA a few tried DVI and got the same overscan issue. They switch to component and the problem was gone. It was reported in this thread:

http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=16012&page=3&pp=15&highlight=RCA

The overscan issues have recently improved. It seems that mostly RCA owners are having some issues now. A while back a bunch of fellow Mitsubishi owners worked through this same thing.

So basically this is an overscan issue on the DVI port on my TV? Will the Service Menu have a setting for this?

BTW, thanks for getting me the instructions for getting into my service menu! :)

Okay, got into the service menu. I found Geometry. I wrote down every number.

I found H-setting. It was at 44. Now it's at -28. I don't know what that means. Anyway, now everything is centered right.

I checked the other inputs and they didn't seem to be off any. I did notice the little graphic in the lower left every time I change an input (Vid1, Vid2, Cmp1, Cmp2, DVI) seemed to have shifted right.

What the numbers actually mean is not important...as long as all is well now. You may notice that the convergence may need to be adjusted now though. Those input labels are going to move with the screen.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)