Voom PQ comparison

With all the Voom switching to mpeg4, hopefully Dish will see an improvement. Remember, quality from the source cannot be improved by the provider, so pq will not be any better than what Voom supplies.
Yep...it's that mysterious fiber problem that VOOM has been working to repair for the past two years.:rolleyes:

Just a little interesting blast from 1//11/2006, "In addition they are working on the VOOM Channels. And despite the bogus answers they gave me at CES, I am really starting to think the VOOM down rezing is a VOOM issue, as the problem did not come up until they cut over to the fiber connection. Anyways they are looking at bringing in more fiber for VOOM, now my contact didnt say what for, and my only guess is just MAYBE we could see full res voom in the future."

As we all now know, VOOM was downrezzed at the request of Dish Network. The big question is will it return to 1920x1080i when it appears on CV 26 June? Or will we have to wait on 1920x1080i until DishHD is ready to move them to MPEG on 15 August (contract or partnership issue)?

Scott...Sean...??? Will VOOM HD be 1920x1080i when it appears in the CV lineup next week?

Sean, will you be able to make service comparison between VOOM HD on DishHD and CV these days?

What's the resolution of VOOM nowdays, I thought I read they upped it to
1440x1080 not to long ago.

Looks like E* is going to loose it's HD leader title. E* has 32 and the link says that CV will have 40. What are the other 8?

Thanks!!! Oh, and should the PQ on CV be better...remember the E* fanboys will tell you that DishHD looks fine to them and you obviously weren't aware most people and their ancient HDTVs cannot tell the difference between 1280x1080i, 1440x1080i and 1920x1080i.:rolleyes:
Actually, DishHD looks fine to me. :D

Resolution is not the only part of HD transmission.

1440x1080i at 19 mbps looks better than 1920x1080i at 7 mpbs...

Also, the "40" channels probably include regional/local channels, I'm not aware on 40 national channels.

Lastly, every cable and satellite system is close to maxxed out on bandwidth, so I am sure that Cablevision also wants 15 HD channels that they are adding to be as low in bandwidth as possible - they are not going to ask for special 1920x1080i feeds...

What will be interesting is if VOOM supplies their feed to CableVision at 1920x1080i. For if they do, then Charlie's little ruse will be up. Even if CableVision hacks it up and the PQ is no better.

I think hope the PQ will be better on Cablevision, thats ultimately good for us. Might not be the case once they get the Voom channels on Mpeg4(if they increase the resolution). The Vooms are 1280 not 1440 correct?

Actually, DishHD looks fine to me. :D
The DishHD channels do look pretty good, but there are a number of consistency problems with their MPEG4 channels...especially HD LIL. Additionally, some of us have number of VOOM recordings (MonstersHD for example) and the difference from then and now is very apparent.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-ne...rshd-possibly-back-1920x1080i-see-inside.html

http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-ne...ow-hd-lite-1280x1080i-discuss-issue-here.html

My local Comcast/Adelphia HD channels look outstanding (much better when compared to comparible DishHD channels) - there variable bitrate encoders do an excellent job: QAM256 (38Mb) with 3 HD channels per. It's too bad their service, customer service, equipment, and lack of HD channels make their cable TV service unbearable.

I think DishHD looks good too. Very comparable to my local comcast which has a good pq also. My only complaint would be the Voom channels(sometimes FoodHD, but could be something else causing it) which seem a little fuzzy most of the time.

Again, the DishHD channels do look good...but they don't look eye-popping great, which is the entire purpose of High-Definition TV. Sure, there are always going to be problem with poor source material and bad transfers, but the lack of depth and softness of images on most of the DishHD channels are due to resolution and bandwidth constraints. Some people don't see a difference and some sets won't display a different, but discerning eyes and direct comparisons (same source material at 1920x1080i, 1440x1080i, 1280x1080i, same channels such as HDNet, DiscoveryHD, TNTHD, etc.) lead a great number of us to confirm what we have known all along.

We can only hope the the transition of VOOM HD to MPEG4 will result in the return of that old snap, crackle, and pop we have been missing!

I'd argue the average HD consumer had no clue nor cares about HD Lite. Not too mention the odds of having a side by side comparison available to be able to see the differences are nill. Probably why I'm not holding my breathe for increased PQ because by the time the birds are up there and MPEG4 is a reality there are going to be more and more new feeds eating away at the bandwidth.

Lastly, every cable and satellite system is close to maxxed out on bandwidth, so I am sure that Cablevision also wants 15 HD channels that they are adding to be as low in bandwidth as possible - they are not going to ask for special 1920x1080i feeds...

Not the complete story.... Cablevision has been turning off analog channels and I believe the 15 Voom channels are going to be on Swith-Video. They had implemented this already on SD channels and it was worthwhile. Now they are doing it on the 15 HD channels. This is why they claim that they can do 500 HD channel with the switch video technology....

Not the complete story.... Cablevision has been turning off analog channels and I believe the 15 Voom channels are going to be on Swith-Video. They had implemented this already on SD channels and it was worthwhile. Now they are doing it on the 15 HD channels. This is why they claim that they can do 500 HD channel with the switch video technology....

Same with Comcast here. They have already moved some analogs to digital and are getting ready to implement SDV.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts