Voom Promo Specifics

hoganlo

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 27, 2004
Texas
Here is a conversation I had with the Dish CSR online via their chat window. You all should have received and e-mail detailing the promotional offer for VOOM customers, but there were a lot of details missing (from my perspective). Anyway, here is the chat conversation:

Powered by SightMax
Welcome to Dish TV. Dustin will be right with you.
Dustin
Thank you for choosing www.dishtv.com , this is Dustin, how may I help you?

Hoganlo
Hello...I have a few questions with regard to the promotion for VOOM customers. Can you help in this matter?

Dustin
Yes

Hoganlo
It states that I can get up to 2 811 receivers...Is there a monthly fee for the second?

Dustin
Yes there is a 5.00 fee

Hoganlo
As part of this VOOM promotion, what would the fee be to obtain a single receiver capable of HD with integrated DVR (i.e. 921/942)?

Dustin
$250.00 upgrade fee

Hoganlo
In the fine print it states, <i>"Certain HD channels require an additional dish antenna at a cost of $100 at the time of initial installation."</i> Is that applicable if I still have my VOOM dish mounted, which already points to location 61.5?

Dustin
You would need a new Dish

Hoganlo
Are we allowed to take one 811 and one basic DVR for the two receivers...if so, what is the fee associated with that? (Also $5/month?)

Dustin
5.00 monthly the 811 and the basic receiver will be free.

Hoganlo
So, can you tell me what my total out of pocket would be if I accepted the VOOM promotional offer, taking 1- 811 & 1 - Basic DVR, taking the HD PAK AND VOOM PAK, and Top 180 (if I can't take the Top120) and paying for the whole year in advanced?

Dustin
https://www.dishtv.com/ordervoom.jsp

Dustin
Disregard that

Hoganlo
Okay...did you happen to see my last post?

Dustin
only 100.00 for the 2nd dish to receive the Hd channels

Hoganlo
Yes...but the question is what would the total year cost of service be IF: I accepted the VOOM promotional offer, taking 1- 811 & 1 - Basic DVR, taking the HD PAK AND VOOM PAK, and Top 180 (if I can't take the Top120) and paying for the whole year in advanced? (i.e. total cost to me for service, equipment AND fees)

Dustin
Unfortunately we can only bill you month to month there is no annual plan.

Hoganlo
Really...okay...what would my monthly bill be in that scenario?

Dustin
Give me one moment while I look that information up for you.

Hoganlo
okay thank you.

Dustin

Hoganlo
Last question...I appreciate the time...does that amount include all of the fees we discussed, or is that after fees are paid upfront?

Dustin
That is with all the fees.

Hoganlo
Okay. Thank you for your time. Bye.

Dustin
Not a problem, thank you for chatting on www.dishtv.com and have a great day!

Dustin left the chat.
Dustin has terminated the chat session.

Ah Guys,

Dustin is not really there. Trust me.

If it is, Dustin would be working 24x7

Actualy they just never change the screen name. They use Dustin 24x7
You get a different CSR each time. They dont give there name.

I would just call, the online CSRs are still taking calls when they are chatting with you so they often are short with you or forget things. I think they are out sourced contractors from India or something.

ScottChez Actualy they just never change the screen name. They use Dustin 24x7 You get a different CSR each time. They dont give there name. [/QUOTE said:
I got "Ronald" last night, but I agree with your point. Sometimes I wonder if some of the online help guys from other companies (like BellSouth) are really computer programs that look for certain phrases and automatically reply with a script.

72.98, and not even ONE premium channel? (well maybe The Movie Channel) freakin ridiculous

I didn't use the VOOM promo, just called up and signed up. I got 180 upgrade free for 3 months, HD free for 6 months. Two dishes, since I get a local on 61.5. Haven't called them about adding the VOOM channels, yet, but expect the $5.00 adder. My bill will be $45 something for 3 months, then I have to choose to keep or lose the 180 pack.

Comcast is coming out tomorrow to install...Hopefully, the 6412 receiver has better picture quality than the 6400 that I had before switching to VOOM. The picture quality on Comcast HD was great...but the SD and analog were just horrible!!! I hope bad that this has changed...I guess I'll find out tomorrow!

hoganlo said:
Comcast is coming out tomorrow to install...Hopefully, the 6412 receiver has better picture quality than the 6400 that I had before switching to VOOM. The picture quality on Comcast HD was great...but the SD and analog were just horrible!!! I hope bad that this has changed...I guess I'll find out tomorrow!

Please post your opinion of comcast's PQ, and what kind of HDTV you are watching on. I tried Comcast for 15 minutes on my Elite Plasma and told the guy thanks but no thanks. The HD was no better, maybe worse than the SD from my other provider... truly. That was about 6 months ago in Northern California.

Thx in advance

I am in Chicago and just got Comcast about two weeks ago. We loved the Voom HD PQ and the SD was not bad. After watching many channels on Comcast we feel the HD and SD are as good if not better (SD) than Voom. I am very pleased with the SD PQ on Comcast. And I had Comcast about 18 months ago and hated the SD channels.

I have the 6412 HD DVR Comcast box.

My displays are Samsung HLM617 (61" DLP) and a Mitsubishi WD62725 (62" DLP).