VOOM: Promo Gone! New Prices...

Well Sean I really thought you have done a good job here and wanted to thank you.

I am voting with my feet for these reasons
1. Install was a nightmare(search my posts)
2. Except for Rush, Rave,Equator and an occasional Cine10 movie alot of the HD channels are boring and sometimes idiotic( Oh yeah I wanna bid $500,000 on Clapton's guitar)
3. Every little shower my signals drop( in clear weather I get a 96-98 signal) and it freezes up.
4. Still waiting for Voom to get my Off Air channels (yes 2 service calls and 5 cancelled ones) working.
5. Wont map (and get the PG info)all the channels I know I can get with my own antenna on my previous D** Toshiba box.

All in all it has been an interesting 2 months like the PQ on HD channels is nice but I felt like I was watching HBO all the time with the repeating programs over and over on all the channels. I realize there is a limited amount of true HD programming out there but Cine10 needs to be a little less stale. I will miss Rush the most even though I am 49 I enjoy the extreme sports on it. I will be getting D**H installed this Fri w/locals, top120 ,HD package 1 HDReciever and 1 ,2room DVR for $5 less than I am spending on Voom + Starz (which I don't watch much) but I get 70 more channels no stutters drop outs and the new super dish. If Voom does get it together and gets to 60 HD channels I may come back but right now it is like driving the first model year of a new car ,expect some troubles.

andrzej said:
Oh sure Karl. Everybody hates Voom. If this nonsense makes you feel better and you need it to corroborate your decision to cancel Voom than believe it.

Well judging by their lack of subs and churn rate not many people love it like you. But then reality is not welcome in the Voom forum.

For Voom to survive you need subs like me who care as much about non HD channels as the HD itself.

Let me make it simple for you highbrows. No Karl's, No Voom follows.

andrzej said:
Oh sure Karl. Everybody hates Voom. If this nonsense makes you feel better and you need it to corroborate your decision to cancel Voom than believe it.

Andrze,

I think it's great you support Voom. I've read many of your posts and I think you know what's what. That and the fact my wife is from Boston.

Have you ever noticed that many of the whiners (me included) are from the western part of Voom? I think that may be part of it. Maybe that's why Voom wanted those western slots.

I too was lied to about what Voom offered and what the Moto box could do (decode basic cable) when we called CS.

Voom may not have failed you and may never- but surely you can see how much the complaints have grown this summer.

Things can be bad for a while- then get better and everyone forgets and gets over it. But things seem to be getting worse. IMO.

Karl said:
Well judging by their lack of subs and churn rate not many people love it like you. But then reality is not welcome in the Voom forum.

What makes you think that reality is not welcomed here? Whining is not welcomed because it is counterproductive. Oh, and I don't love Voom, I just like it.

andrzej said:
What makes you think that reality is not welcomed here? Whining is not welcomed because it is counterproductive. Oh, and I don't love Voom, I just like it.

Oh so I should just shut up and accept what they offer me? Don't let them know what I think so they can change it ? Or is it that you just think your opinion is more important than anyone else's.

Seawaves said:
Andrze,

I think it's great you support Voom. I've read many of your posts and I think you know what's what. That and the fact my wife is from Boston.

Have you ever noticed that many of the whiners (me included) are from the western part of Voom? I think that may be part of it. Maybe that's why Voom wanted those western slots.

I too was lied to about what Voom offered and what the Moto box could do (decode basic cable) when we called CS.

Voom may not have failed you and may never- but surely you can see how much the complaints have grown this summer.

Things can be bad for a while- then get better and everyone forgets and gets over it. But things seem to be getting worse. IMO.

Indeed,
I have no major problems with Voom. I had one installation visit on time (although I peaked the antenna myself because I am a tweaker), no stb lockups, very rare rain fades, nobody lied to me (I have no reasons to call Voom), no billing problems, the PQ is ok (I hope it will get better), new channels have been coming.

Tell me, why should I complain?

andrzej said:
Indeed,
I have no major problems with Voom. I had one installation visit on time (although I peaked the antenna myself because I am a tweaker), no stb lockups, very rare rain fades, nobody lied to me (I have no reasons to call Voom), no billing problems, the PQ is ok (I hope it will get better), new channels have been coming.

You are the exception and not the rule, a simple read of the Voom forum proves this. Sean himself has had problems.

Go ahead play Lotto , you might hit!!!!!!!!

andrzej said:
Indeed,

If Voom had been like that for me than I'm sure you'd feel like me. Notice both Karl and I are in Los Angeles. I think there is this great hidden problem with the signal for those in the west.

Without Nomar, what are you guys gonna do? I can't believe we traded Paulie.

If you want more Sd, then do NOT order Voom; its amazing that so many folks complain about the lack of SD with Voom..is THAT why you got Voom?
Yeah, alot ofthe HD offerring are lame, but its NOT Vooms fault; until Hollywood and the production companies ramp up PRODUCING programs in HD, the best we can hope for is alot of upconverted stuff..
I have had Voom for 3 days now, and it is EXACTLY what I expected..I had Direct TV, with all the extra's, and even though the PQ on Direct TV IS BETTER, with only 4 hd channels, it just wasnt enuf for me..And, with the OTA antenna my VOOM installer used, I now get 25 locals, VS the 13 I was getting with DTV..

BTW, I havent actually SEEN a spot where the new pricing is listed..If you were installed on 7-31, are you "granfathered" in at the old prices, or will I have to pay the new ones once billing begins?

wase4711

lostcause said:
Off topic but wouldn't your dish blow off in a hurricane??

I've not had it happen so far, no. My dish is mounted on a pole in about three feet of concrete and I've never had a problem. The satellite service always outlasted the power (a UPS is a good thing).

Karl said:
Sean himself has had problems.

My problems with VOOM are well documented here. But to be fair I had the same installation problems with Dish and DirecTv. In Fact, the only provider who was on time, did the job correctly and with no glitches was my local cable company! Besides the installation issue, I had one billing issue which took VOOM three months to resolve; Yes, there's no denying that these problems have happened to some of us and to the best of us.

Some people have tolerance to deal with the problems while others do not. If you don't, I wouldn't hold your responsible for that. However, the problem in the forum lately is that there are a "few" who are using the forum to post in every single thread comments that (1) did not have anything to do with the thread (2) just concentrate on the negatives without a fair review. You will notice that are the same people posting all over the place.

I can respect someone posting their issues and problems and even comeback and saying my problem is still pending. I do not mind that. We all would like to hear your story. But when it becomes a constant "bickering", not only it makes it questionable the agenda of the person but makes quite difficult for everyone to open a thread to find the same commentary in 4 or 5 threads all over the main forum and the sub-forum.

We all like to go back and discuss the issues at hand. Those of us who are staying put are doing it because we really like to know what is going to happen a year from now. So what if VOOM sinks? Guess what I go back to where I was. Do I need to read another posts that stays "voom sucks", "voom will sink", "voom won't do this", etc... There are so many things that people put in writing and the forget to say "this is only my opinion". It's quite shocking to see statements like "Voom would never implement..." Is this your own opinion or do you have any documentation to support this statement.

We all like to speculate and this is fine as long as we all understand that. Sometimes the speculation come true sometimes it does not. I really hope that if you are no longer a VOOM customer, you would refrain from posting the unwanted comments that we have been seeing lately. It really adds nothing to the discussion. Some of us don't want to read these posts.

wase4711 said:
BTW, I havent actually SEEN a spot where the new pricing is listed..If you were installed on 7-31, are you "granfathered" in at the old prices, or will I have to pay the new ones once billing begins?
Your "grandfathered" price is only guaranteed until the end of the year. At that point, you will be paying the new, higher prices.

There are so many things that people put in writing and the forget to say "this is only my opinion". It's quite shocking to see statements like "Voom would never implement..." Is this your own opinion or do you have any documentation to support this statement.
Sean, with all due respect, I don't think that people should always have to say, "this is only my opinion." Who else's opinion would it be?

ChetK said:
Sean, with all due respect, I don't think that people should always have to say, "this is only my opinion." Who else's opinion would it be?

ChetK,

I understand where you come from but there is a fine distinction between a fact and an opinion. There are people in this forum that have contact and sources that leaks information. The information may become true or not.

For example,

A well documented Fact: There is Mosquito Noise on Equator-HD. This is a fact. We all see it and it has been documented quite extensively.

Voom would never implement MPEG4/WM9 because they don't have the staff or the knowledge to do it. This is an speculation based without any facts.

What's wrong with saying:

Voom would never implement MPEG4/WM9 because they don't have the staff or the knowledge to do it, IMHO.

When I first heard about the Software Upgrade coming: I wrote that it would happen that week. I had very strong statement. (I also put a disclaimer). It came to pass that very night (I knew that it was going to happen that night but I did not want to post that because there were other times that I was told a similar thing and it never happened).

Whenever I have posted something that does not come from a fact and we are speculating, we have mentioned the word "rumor", "speculation", "opinion" in the post. There is well defined line between the two and I do not believe whenever you read a post is an opinion. It could be misinterpret as a fact.

Voom NEEDS SD channels

I am not a rich man. I live in my own home and support a family. I do not have money to subscribe to one service provider for this kind of channel, and another service for this other kind of channel.

I want one option! Voom needs to carry BOTH SD as well as HD, period. Voom is not a provider of HD satellite service, they provide both. I realize that there are some bandwith issues here in the early going, but they continue to need to add SD channels as well as improving their bandwith limitations.

For those of you who think that they need to concentrate on only HD fare - p*** off. If they want to do that, fine. But they won't have me as a customer. I want both. That is what Voom need to focus on: providing those people with HD capabilities a home, a chance to have more of that programming available to them, but not to the exclusion of watching the programming they like in SD.

Get it through your thick skulls - Voom is not a niche product. They want to get customers, no matter who they are, and as many as possible. Remember, Vooms prices are competitive even for someone who doesn't have an hdtv.

Voom needs HGTV and other SD channels like that. Why? BECAUSE PEOPLE WANT IT!

Remember, I am a happy Voom customer. Can it be better, of course, but the others can be better too.

andrzej said:
Indeed,

About PQ. :D
I have to agree with you that the PQ is ok but I want it to be better and that's why I complain all the time. Other than that, I never had major problems with Voom either. I have to say that its STB is better than Dish 811. Much more user friendly, it displays PG few days in advance (811 only 1-2 hours), fewer lockups than 811, and much, much better SD PQ than on Dish. In fact, SD PQ on Dish is so compressed that I had to use "S" video cable to make it darker, blurrier, and at least somewhat watchable. Oh yeah, Voom's OTA tuner also works waaaay better than 811's. The very same antenna gives me far less OTA breakups than 811. Actually, I can't even watch few OTA channels on 811 at all and the same ones work just fine on Voom.

ChetK said:
Your "grandfathered" price is only guaranteed until the end of the year. At that point, you will be paying the new, higher prices.

Thanks ChetK; is there a link that actually shows ALL the new pricing and options?

wase4711

I just had a look at my paper bill for this month. There is a line as follows:

July 22 - August 21 0.00 HD Marquee (a $10.00 value)

I'd noticed on the website that the Marquee is listed as something that is included for a limited time at no extra charge. Now I know how much they intend to charge, and I'm not happy about it...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)