VOOM: Promo Gone! New Prices...

Scott Greczkowski said:
I am glad I canceled Playboy when I did.

Now if you make any changes to your account your prices go up to the new prices.

Sorry VOOM as much as I like your service I am NOT paying the new rates. On 12/31 I may be canceling my service, unless your DVR is really really good. Other then that I can't see paying that much for service.

If you already have VOOM, your rates ARE NOT going up.

If you have VOOM now and call and make ANY changes to your account (ie add or cancel Playboy) your VOOM bill will go up to the new rates.

nnicko said:

...till January 2005.

What's all the fuss about anyways? Everyone knew they were going to raise the prices. I didn't expect to see Playboy (and possibly the PlusPacks) go up to $20, tho.

Just my thoughts... Heh, I guess the new subscribers are paying for our "free" Tyson fight last Friday. :)

-John

Scott Greczkowski said:
If you have VOOM now and call and make ANY changes to your account (ie add or cancel Playboy) your VOOM bill will go up to the new rates.
You sure about that? I thought dragonldy_mom was only refering to switching from Voom to/from VaVaVoom.

I would think add/drop Playboy (or a PlusPack) would still keep your Voom or VaVaVoom package the same price.

from dragonldy_mom:
You will be able to add plus paks at the new price, without affecting
the basic VOOM price...and that's about the extent of the changes
which will not affect your current pricing.
-John

Ouch!

I've guess they've decided not to get any more subscribers...

I wonder how long this weill last until it's back to the old rates...

But then again I guess it's the same thing if they have less people sign up with the higher prices it equals the many that signed up at the lower cost?

I'm a former Dish customer. They charge $88 a month for everything, including a few HD networks. Dish has more SD channels--most of which I would never give a second thought to, much less watch--but Voom has a lot more HD. Even at the new prices, Voom would still be the clear choice for me.

Don't forget guys, we are dealing with a Cable company mentality here, we are feeding the PIG. I'm with Scott, I may drop Voom after 1/1 when the price goes up, I just don't see the value in their programming as it is, unless they can kick up the bitrate drastically with the new codecs.

As far as the new rates go,remember one thing,they(Voom) are Cablevision-a cable company,so know where the mindset comes from as far as the rates go,our cable company here(Comcast) has had 4 price increases in the last two years(2 each year)to where to get the same thing from Comcast vs. E* would be $30.00 more a month

I will drop VOOM also at the first of the year unless their DVR is indeed a "free" upgrade for existing leasers. I really want the DVR but can't see adding another $10 to my bill plus and DVR fees that they might introduce. It is to bad because I really like VOOM at the price it is at now.

kaw

In all fairness, I think their VaVaVoom was slightly underpriced, considering nobody else has all those premiums. But raising the price on the basic pk is a mistake, because I don't care how you slice it the Voom exclusives are just NOT compelling TV. They're mostly good for channel surfing, and even as eye candy, they lack the wow factor I KNOW HD is capable of. And $199 for install? That's just a NO NO. I wouldn't tell anybody to spend $200 and hope they don't have a bad install and/or billing nightmare -- just to see if they like something unless they just have money to throw around (and I don't know anyone like that).

I agree VaVaVOOM was under priced, that is one of the reasons to me that VOOM is/was such a good deal. They had very good prices in my opinion and that was a good way to add subscribers, offer something less than the other guys do since you do not have as many subscribers. Anyway, I just hate to see them go up, even if it is only $10.

kaw

Here's what's got me worried. This comes from the offer details page at (http://www.voom.com/get_it/offerDetails.jsp):

VOOM Package

$49.90 per month
Includes 21 VOOM Exclusive HD channels, more than 50 of cable's most watched channels, plus 18 music channels. For a limited time at no extra charge, also includes HD MarqueePack (featuring Bravo HD+, TNT in HD and Discovery HD Theater) and the VOOM SportsPack (featuring ESPN HD, Fox Sports World, The Tennis Channel, The Golf Channel and Fuel).

That little gotcha - "...for a limited time at no extra charge..." This sounds like the plan is to price Voom just like Comcast, which is why I left them. I was forced to buy all these packages to get to what I really want. I'm really enjoying Voom, but if they start making me feel like they're ripping me off, I'll probably leave.

I, too, want the PVR, but now feel nervous that if I sign up for it, Voom will change all their pricing on me, and make me pay for more than I want. For example, who would pay an extra $10/mo for the Voom exclusive channels if you had the choice? But my bet is that we won't have the choice to drop the Voom exclusives, but will have to pay for the stations that inspired me to subscribe in the first place - TNT-HD, DiscoveryHD, etc...

I wonder how much of that $199.00 do the installers get,based on my almost 2nd install when he thought it was to be E*(paperwork mix-up) but when he found out it was Voom he was gone because they don't pay enough(do not know how much)

bruce said:
I wonder how much of that $199.00 do the installers get,based on my almost 2nd install when he thought it was to be E*(paperwork mix-up) but when he found out it was Voom he was gone because they don't pay enough(do not know how much)

This is why I think VOOM had to start charging for installation. I would say it takes an average of somewhere over two visits to do a VOOM installation. Also the installer has to install and tune both the satellite and the OTA antenna.

Also, I would not believe anything VOOM says, even if they put it in writing. Just ask the charter members who were supposed to receive a free plus pack along with their VOOM service. That disappeared pretty quick. Also, where are the 39 HD channels VOOM used to advertise.

Well, Voom sure has me happy that I re-joined DirecTV.

Bought the Sony SAT-HD300 (smacks the stuffing out of the junk Moto box) got the Sunday Ticket (many HD games! and Voom can't compete here) got the best DTV package FREE for four months and added HD pack for ten bucks.

Say what you will guys- but with Vooms insane price increases and IF DTV adds a bunch of HD channels, (real ones- not like Cinema refried 10 crap) Voom will be washed up.

Clearly Cablevision is losing faith in Voom. Just liek I have.

jnardone said:
This is why I think VOOM had to start charging for installation. I would say it takes an average of somewhere over two visits to do a VOOM installation. Also the installer has to install and tune both the satellite and the OTA antenna.

Also, I would not believe anything VOOM says, even if they put it in writing. Just ask the charter members who were supposed to receive a free plus pack along with their VOOM service. That disappeared pretty quick. Also, where are the 39 HD channels VOOM used to advertise.

Charge maybe,$199.00 no way,compaired to what the Cable Companies,E* and D* charge or do not charge,to the common man $199.00 looks to be too much money, more HD or not,but I do know why they did it is to offset churn,people who pay $199.00 might be willing to stick it out thru the problems.

VOOM"s price increases

Are we all aware of VOOM"S new price policy?? IF ANY CHANGE WHATSOEVER is made on your account, you will be subject to the new price structure: $49.99 for VOOM and $19.99 for each movie channel!! How do you like them apples?? I wanted to switch from Showtime to Starz and even that simple change would have changed my fees. So I guess I will have Showtime the whole while I have VOOM or I will have no VOOM. This gives me serious contemplation to save the money and wait for the next generation 921,922, or whatever they will call it.

Thanks Voom for sending us emails or something to let us know about price increases. We'll see what happens when we get our next bills to see if our current prices stand or if they just up and change our rates without informing us. That I believe is a stance for legal action.

Augurr

The new policies at VOOM are very interesting. I am really interested in seeing their 2nd quarter numbers. I suspect that churn was WAY too high, with 0 down and no commitment a lot probably thought to try it and then decided it was not for them and just dropped it. Costing VOOM a fortune. I suspect that the $199 will only let serious customers in, and they will not want to be so quick to drop when they know they are going to be out the heafty install fee.

Raising prices points to poor sub growth. They have to have a plan to make money (after all they are being spun off and they want to look good). So, I bet the projections of sub growth have been adjusted lower, and they have to raise the price to cover the new lower sub projections and still show them breaking even/turning a profit in X number of years.

Voom can raise there prices all they want but untill they have a more complete SD line up they are screwed. I canceled tonight, the reason was there is no way I would pay 95 bucks a month to get all voom has and not have many of the channels I like to watch. For me no ShopNBC, for my wife no HGTV. My wife has never watched Voom. We have it for 3 months but her channels are not on Voom. DTV have all we want for less money. And no it does not cost more when I add the HD package. DTV is only $64 for what I want with HD and only $52 if I just go with my locals in HD via my antenna. I can upgrade later when DTV gets more HD later this year. The basic package on Voom is $50 with holes in it's line up, and no PPV.

Also my old Toshiba HD box never gave me any problems. I never had to reset it and and my kids never had to wait for me to come home to fix it for them.

Adios Voom, it wasn't fun.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts