VOOM STB FAQ (Motorola DSR-550): Post-VOOM Edition

Hoopnoop

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jul 15, 2004
Thanks for the advice! I will try to see if diplexing helps. Would it make sense at all to have amplify the signal just before it goes into the DVR to offset the splitting? Like I said, the antenna is already powered through the Voom receiver. Just trying to figure out if there is a way to offset the loss in signal from the split.

lilyarbie

SatelliteGuys Pro
Feb 5, 2005
Try something like a line distribution amp...

I've got two amps I use on my lines for my receivers. One of course is the pre-amp for the antenna and the other is a normal line distribution amp. These can be be found at any retailer for less than $20.00. Some even have two or more lines on the amps for each additional line out. I'd say that this would be the best choice because they'll give you a considerable boost on your signals after splitting. Some give you a decibel figure of 10-30db of strength. They all pretty much operate in the frequency range of cable television as well as VHF/UHF frequencies. The only thing though is that any amplifier will output noise along with boosting the signal. Of course, the signal amount your feeding in should be good enough to outweigh the noise factor and in turn increase your signal quality.

Hoopnoop

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jul 15, 2004
Thanks for the info about the amps! I actually got to talk to a Winegard technician yesterday who strongly encouraged me to get rid of the diplexer set up both up to and down below. He said that I lose 30% of my signal with each diplexer. Given that I have the diplexers and two splits and over 100 feet of cable before I get to my Sony HD DVR he said its a wonder that I'm getting any signal at all. So, I'm planning to do the following: (1) get rid of the diplexer set up (which will involve a high and hopefully safe traverse up to my roof) and (2) shorten the cable run to the sony down to about 70 feet. Then I will try an indoor amp if it seems needed.

I have one more question -- I am thinking of upgrading from a Winegard Sensar antenna to a CM3020. I assume that I can use the same set up I have currently but simply run the coaxial to the 3020 (which I plan to mount on my chimney) as opposed to the Sensar. Does that make sense or is there more to it then that? Obviously, I may need an amp as well.

9larry

Mar 11, 2006
I recently purchased a VOOM box on ebay, and the trouble I am having is that when I scan for local channels, nothing locks in, it seems to pause on certain numbers but does not lock. In step 3 I lock in my RF # and tunes out at 99, still when I try to scan local channels nothing locks in. I live in Milwaukee, WI any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Ilya

XXI Century Explorer
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Lifetime Supporter
Feb 16, 2004
NE OH
Welcome to the forum 9larry!
First of all, check www.antennaweb.org for your street address and note which digital channels are available in your area and what kind of OTA antenna might be required to get them. Write down corresponding RF numbers.
Second, check your connections. If you have an amplified antenna, make sure that voltage is supplied to it.
If you are too close to the towers (level 99, sounds too high!), perhaps you should try a smaller, non-amplified antenna.
Good luck!

Shoelaces979

Mar 20, 2006
Installation Wizard

I already own one voom box which I was able to set up without a problem. I was so happy with it, I bought another one off ebay for another room in the house, however I cannot find the installation wizard on this new box. I checked the model number on the back and it is indeed a DSR-550. The software version is 5.68. Is it possible that this menu is hidden somehow? any help would be appreciated.

riffjim4069

SatelliteGuys Master
Supporting Founder
Apr 7, 2004
SatelliteGuystonfieldville, U.S.A.
Shoelaces979 said:
I already own one voom box which I was able to set up without a problem. I was so happy with it, I bought another one off ebay for another room in the house, however I cannot find the installation wizard on this new box. I checked the model number on the back and it is indeed a DSR-550. The software version is 5.68. Is it possible that this menu is hidden somehow? any help would be appreciated.
As I recall, OTA scanning wasn't implemented until software version 6:00, which came loaded on the last few batches of receivers: 6.10 was the first production download which, along with 6.20 had a fair number of bugs. Unless you purchased that receiver from someone living in the the same city (DMA) then I think you're stuck with a doorstop. Can someone verify?

Check out: http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=5671

Last edited:

Ilya

XXI Century Explorer
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Lifetime Supporter
Feb 16, 2004
NE OH
Yes, riffjim4069 is correct. Version 5.68 doesn't have channel scanning capability. Try getting your money back from the seller if you still can.
Welcome to the forum, Shoelaces979!

nabullet

Mar 23, 2006
I was wondering if I was missing something here? I ask this as I just picked up a DSR-550 on e-bay. I hooked up an OTA, turned it on and it states recv'r #.......not auth'd? I push the green button like I have seen peopel here talking about and can scan for local chan's. Depending on where my ant. is depends on who many I pick up. I was able to lock 1 chan. in at 93...sounds good right? If it is, HOW DO I VIEW the local chan.s? Sorry to sound dumb, but I do not see a tv/vcr, tv/sat button. It all looks like it should work, but I can not figure out how to view the local chan. that I have saved? Please help the 'green' gut here.
Thank you.

nabullet

Mar 23, 2006
UPDATE...I was able to 'lock' and save 4 local chan.s, but I still can not view them? The signal meter is at 92. Any ideas or help???Please. If this will not work, I should be able to send it back, as the sell stated it was activated and would work.
Thank you, again.

Ilya

XXI Century Explorer
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Lifetime Supporter
Feb 16, 2004
NE OH
Welcome to the forum, nabullet!
If the box is not authorized you will not be able to view any OTA channels.
Send it back if you still can. Good luck!

danielhal

Mar 2, 2006
Hi, this is danielhal

What a great bunch of guys on this forum.
Does anyone know what the USB port can be used/is for on the DSR 550 ?

Any reply is greatly apreciated.

Thanks.

Ilya

XXI Century Explorer
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Lifetime Supporter
Feb 16, 2004
NE OH
danielhal said:
Does anyone know what the USB port can be used/is for on the DSR 550 ?
Nothing that I am aware of. It was intended for "future use"... ;)

Welcome to the forum!

cmmillionaire69

Oct 17, 2005
Need some help. I cant get any local channels. I go to aim an add the RF for a channel I know I can get from use with other HD box setup. However strength stays at zero. I then try and search and no channels are found. I have version 733. I got the box and the 8VSB OTA tuner module at different times and added it to the box. Is this the problem that I added it, do I have to tell the box or setup something different. Please help and thanks

Ilya

XXI Century Explorer
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Lifetime Supporter
Feb 16, 2004
NE OH
Welcome to the forum, cmmillionaire69
Zero strength means that either your wiring is wrong or the box is not working.
1. Re-insert the OTA module.
2. Check your wiring. Is your antenna connected to the OTA module?
3. Does your antenna have a built-in pre-amp? If so, you need a power inserter.
If you are sure that your wiring is fine, you might have a bad OTA module. Since you got it separetly how do you know it is operational?

cmmillionaire69

Oct 17, 2005
Thanks for the help so far. My antenna is a radio shack indoor tv antenna with 22db amplifier with gain control. It gets the local channels with a HD receiver. Is this what I need a power inserter for, if so what are they and can I get one at a best buy. Again thanks for all the help.

snoringcougar

May 8, 2006
I dont understand why if I have a powered antenna that I need the voltage thing. Isnt it getting that while it is plugged in?

crewofeast2002

Jun 18, 2006
msr

i just got a reciever off ebay. when i turn it on a box pops up with title "Voom Authorization" and says in the box "Voom is not authorized".

Is my card not activated?

I can go into the menu, go to installation and scan for locals but I recieve no signal at all and I cant get any channels.

Please help.

Ilya

XXI Century Explorer
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Lifetime Supporter
Feb 16, 2004
NE OH
snoringcougar said:
I dont understand why if I have a powered antenna that I need the voltage thing. Isnt it getting that while it is plugged in?
Welcome aboard!
If you have an antenna that is connected to a power source directly, then you are all set. This is the case with some indoor antennas. But most powered antennas on the roof don't have any power cord going from them directly. Instead, the power is suplied via the RG6 cable itself. For that to work you need a power supply (power inserter) or you need a receiver that supplies voltage through the OTA input.

In case of the VOOM Box, the OTA input itself does not supply power, so if you have an amplified antenna like most of those that VOOM DBS used to provide, you either need a standalone power inserter, or you have to rely on power supplied to the satellite dish via diplexors (this is what VOOM used to do in a typical installation).

Ilya

XXI Century Explorer
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Lifetime Supporter
Feb 16, 2004
NE OH
crewofeast2002 said:
i just got a reciever off ebay. when i turn it on a box pops up with title "Voom Authorization" and says in the box "Voom is not authorized".
Return the box to the seller immediately or through it away. You will not be able to activate it.
(And it's not the card, it's the box itself that needs activation.)

Sorry for the bad news. Good luck! And welcome to the forum!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)