VOOM STB FAQ (Motorola DSR-550): Post-VOOM Edition

No Picture or Audio!

Greetings fellow Voom users:

I recently purchased a VOOM 550 s/w ver 6.20. After connecting to a ChannelMaster 4228 antenna, I was able to aim and scan for local channels. For most of the channels (about 20 in the Philadelphia / Central NJ area), the signal strength clocked around 85 - 90.

However, when I tried to view the channels, the system said no signal from channel x.x. So, no video or audio.

Any suggestions, guys? Right now I have connected the video via S-video and have configured it to 480i and audio to TOSlink into my A/V receiver.

Thanks.

-PrincetonUser

Welcome to the forum!
When you did a channel scan, have you actually saved the new channels?

If you can see the menus and messages, it's not your video settings. Can be a bad box or a bad tuner. You may want to get another one. I would try to get one with newer software. Since you are not getting authorization messages, it doesn't sound like it's been deactivated, but still, version 6.20 is very old. Suspiciously old, I would say. It means the box was disconnected from the satellite signal many months before VOOM DBS went down...

Entering channel with remote control?

Hello all -- I just entered the wonderful world of HD OTA and have a question about entering channel numbers with the remote. Here is the scenerio -- I have a harmony 880 remote that i want to program in the local OTA channels. The problem I see is that I have a few stations that have sub-channels. So when I use the VOOM remote and enter in 31 -- it actually jumps to 31-1 which is fine --- BUT, there is a sub channel of 31-2 that I want to get to --- I know I can just do channel up to get to 31-2 -- but like I said, I want to somehow program 31-2 into the harmony remote, etc. So basically, is there a way to go directly to a specific OTA channel --- 21-3, 31-2, 10-2, etc? If I can find out how to do it with the VOOM remote than I can duplicate that on the harmony as a "favorite" channel sequence.

Hope this makes sense --- thanks for anyones help

You can "learn" a sequence of buttons into a Harmony remote as if it's a single command. For example, you can learn 3-1-Up sequence and assign it to a button. I tried that in the past and it worked. You just need to press buttons quickly when you do that. ;)

Welcome to the forum!

Ilya said:
You can "learn" a sequence of buttons into a Harmony remote as if it's a single command. For example, you can learn 3-1-Up sequence and assign it to a button. I tried that in the past and it worked. You just need to press buttons quickly when you do that. ;)

Welcome to the forum!
That was going to be my "back-up"plan --- it just might be my only plan --- thanks

I have a voom receiver it works on OTA channels , The problem that i have is i can not get to the menu to scan for any new OTA channels the receiver is asking for a PIN code .

I am not the original owner and i do not know the PIN number.

Is there a over right number to on luck the receivers menu.

Voom box crashes

I have had my Voom box for about a year using it for ota reception without any problems.
Recently, when I change channels and go through channel 13, it crashes. It reboots itself and adds all the blocked channels that I programed to omit.
It crashes every time I go to/through channel 13.

What is the problem? Is there a fix?

Thanks a lot.

Is this a PBS channel? Without knowing your specific location or your software verision, the freeze/reboot is typical of the VOOM receiver having a problem decoding the PSIP datastream. In other words, your local broadcaster is sending a signal that is imcompatible with the VOOM STB. Your options are: contact local broadcaster (find of what changes occured and request help in resolving the matter), hide this channel on your VOOM receiver, or update the VOOM software (this one is no longer possible).

Anyway, check out the following threads for more information and provide us with more detail:

http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=62991&highlight=PBS+voom
http://www.satelliteguys.us/showpost.php?p=539440&postcount=3

Last edited:
Yes, it is a PBS channel. It worked before. Did they change something to the channel?

I am also thinking of getting a Pro Band HD3150 Plus to improve the picture quality. n It has HDMI out, that will be used with my Plasma.
Do you think it is worth it? Or will it be approximately the same pic quality?

The VOOM STB, along with it's 3rd generation Motorola 8-VSB/ATSC tuning module, does an excellent job PQ wise. Offhand, it sounds like your local PBS hasn't been showing much, if any, HD programming. In fact, they may be installing new equipment (encoder/mux/etc.) which is why you're having this problem. What area are you from and what is the call sign of this PBS channel?

PBS Digital SD channel crashes my VOOM

Hey, PBS crashes my VOOM box too. MPT in Maryland. When you hit the Standard Definition ATSC digital channel it resets. Really weird. PBS MPT has 3 channels - 2 Hidef and one digital SD. The Digital SD just blows my Voom up!

Last edited:
PBS crashes my VOOM too

Same situation with Columbus, Ohio PBS (WOSU). It started rebooting on channel 34.3 in June. It was great before that.

Thanks You Ilya.

Thanks every one, specail Ilya.

I brought a Motorola DSR 550 and a remote on eBxy. Following the thread of this forum, I just watched my first NFL game today in HD.

I live at Dallas. 25 miles away from transmitters. Put Zieth Silver Sensor Indoor antenna(UHF) on top of my patio. I pick up more channels than my basic cable service except ABC (VHF). I order Terk HDTVO(UHF/VHF) from Amazxn. I will let you know how it works after I have it. In my example, don't wasting money and time on the other antennas. I brought 4 different ones, from $20 - $70. Only Silver Sensor works.

Welcome to the forum, shlin87!

Hi all - new Voom owner here. I'm in the Indianapolis area, and have a quick question:

My reception of WTHR-DT (NBC, 13.1) is quite poor. (And I guess 'reception' is the wrong word when talking about digital signals, eh?) All of the HD content is extremely blue/gray. But when I go into the Voom menu, the thumbnail picture in the top right seems to have the colors perfect. Is this a known issue for this frequency on Voom? I don't have a particularly good antenna, and will most likely be getting an upgrade this evening, but it sure would be nice to get those NBC shows in full HD goodness.

Thanks.

I'd check the resolution that you have it set to....also is the set HD or is it a analog one?

It's an HD set. And where do I adjust the resolution? Can you do that for specific channels (because all the others come in quite well)?

Ah - duh. Resolution. I have it at 1080i, which is the correct one for my monitor.

Okay, a little more detail:

It seems that non-HD content is fine, and comes through clear as a bell. As I was waiting for "Heroes" to start last night, everything was in full color, nice and crisp during the SD commercials. But once the opening scene began, the set blinked and the picture turned bluish and gray.

And a new antenna didn't do anything, as suspected.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)