Voom System Settings Question

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Tvlman

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 29, 2004
Surf City.CA
In the VOOM system settings there is a "REPORTBACK". Are you supposed to actually check the "reportback" to see if it works? (I think it's the phone line?)

Indeed--that is the phone line. You can test it to see if it works, but the real purpose of it is for the Voom 'Mother Ship' to be able to contact your STB. If you do test it, your phone will call the 800 number listed in system settings. If it doesn't succeed on the first try, it will do a re-try. Depending on the time of day--it may take the Mother Ship up to 10 rings to answer. If the reportback is unsuccessful--do not worry. Your service WILL NOT be automatically cut off.

The Stone Man said:
Indeed--that is the phone line. You can test it to see if it works, but the real purpose of it is for the Voom 'Mother Ship' to be able to contact your STB.

Well, more accurately for your STB to contact the 'Mother Ship' as you put it... the mother ship can contact your STB over the satellite.

There is no 800 number in my system settings. Should there be? There was a number before the software upgrade, now it's gone. I assume VOOM will push a phone number to the stb when it wants to activate the feature.

Land Line Connectioin Not Required

Clearly, the Voom IRD does not require a phone line connection. I haven't had a physical land line since I got a wireless nationwide internet connection with T-Mobile lst year.

My Voom install was done yesterday. The installer didn't mention the phone connection, and I didn't bring it up. Not knowing in advance whether or not a landline connection would be required, I had made advance arrangements with my next door neighbor to temporarily "borrow" a connection, if necessary. It wasn't.

All Voom EPG and software updates are in the data stream from the sat. Only if you will be doing future PPV or interactive stuff will you ever actually need a landline connection.

I'll be writing up my Voom install experience & viewing evaluation in the Voom forum over at DBSTalk.Com soon and will post a link here at that time.

Peace/out :)

Nick (Yeah, THAT Nick!) :shocked

Land Line Connection Not Required...

Clearly, the Voom IRD does not require a phone line connection. I haven't had a physical land line since I got a wireless nationwide internet connection for my notebook pc with T-Mobile last year.

My Voom install was done yesterday. The installer didn't mention the phone connection, and I didn't bring it up. Not knowing in advance whether or not a landline connection would be required, I had made advance arrangements with my next door neighbor to temporarily "borrow" a connection, if necessary. It wasn't.

All Voom EPG and software updates are in the data stream from the sat. Only if you will be doing future PPV or interactive stuff will you ever actually need a landline connection.

I'll be writing up my Voom install experience & viewing evaluation in the Voom forum over at DBSTalk.Com soon and will post a link here at that time.

Nick said:
Clearly, the Voom IRD does not require a phone line connection. I haven't had a physical land line since I got a wireless nationwide internet connection with T-Mobile lst year.

Some folks have had the STB become inactive due to no phone line connected. They had to connect the STB and force it to phone home in order to resume service. Look at this thread.

Although I plan on connecting a phone line to my VOOM receiver...not having one connected hasnt affected my VOOM service.

I have one connected and one not connected due to no phone connection in my HT room. They both have the dial back number now and I tested the connected one the other day and it now works. If I have to, I'll get a wireless phone connection for the HT stb.

wasch_24 said:
Some folks have had the STB become inactive due to no phone line connected. They had to connect the STB and force it to phone home in order to resume service. Look at this thread.
Actually, that posting in the quoted thread wasn't very convincing. I think it was a lockup unrelated to the call-back. I would've expected to see a clear message stating that the box was not authorized or something of that sort. No, I don't think the phone line requirement is enforced yet. You will see a lot of posts in this forum when it happens... ;)

Nick said:
Only if you will be doing future PPV or interactive stuff will you ever actually need a landline connection.
Nick, what you are stating contradicts with the phone line requirements spelled out in the Customer Agreement and with what Wilt was saying some time ago. If your STB "is not so connected, or if it is connected to a line other than the one you tell us, or if the line is not performing according to our requirements, the VOOM Service may be deactivated." The only question is how soon VOOM will start enforcing this. So far this has not been enforced, from what I know. That's why you didn't need the phone line for your installation. This may change any time though...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)