VOOM Web Site is DOWN!!!

Very sad indeed. I feel that VOOM needed to grow at a faster rate to survive. I have loved VOOM but now I have to live life without it and so do we all. Back to Directv's HDLITE for me.

As someone who's managed a few high volume web sites in the past, it aggravates me to see someone title a thread saying "The VOOM Web Site is DOWN!!!".

The Voom web site isn't down. The Voom web site is functioning perfectly, and serving up exactly the content that they want served up.

That you don't like the content is another story.

Cheers,

John Kotches said:
As someone who's managed a few high volume web sites in the past, it aggravates me to see someone title a thread saying "The VOOM Web Site is DOWN!!!".

The Voom web site isn't down. The Voom web site is functioning perfectly, and serving up exactly the content that they want served up.

That you don't like the content is another story.

Cheers,

:rolleyes: :smug :rolleyes: :smug

bryan27 said:
Their paper bills are junk, there is no return envelope, there is no stated address where to send payment, there is no stub to include payment, and they don't tell you who to make the payment out to if paying by check.
The bills I receive have a return envelope, an address where to send payment, and a stub to send with payment. I suspect most of us assume the check should be made out to Voom.

Always the last to know...

So I am (was) a manager (OTL) in the inbound sales department. Honestly it caught me by suprise since we hadn't heard anything about the project shutting down in almost a month. Luckily I guess I don't work directly for VOOM but rather for West Buisness Services and we have other clients.

As a side note I can confirm what Spahose said in another thread... it's a sad day for me the time that I spent working for VOOM was great, the project was interesting and it was inbound :) which is always a bonus. Well monday I find out what project I will be going to and whether or not I will retain my OTL status (Operation Team Leader, big title that means floor manager, heh).

So heres wishing all the people I signed up good luck, and hopefully something better (or at least as good) will be just around the corner.

VOOM "no longer" Home of the HD Evolution...

Nitpicking, are we?

John Kotches said:

The Voom web site isn't down. The Voom web site is functioning perfectly, and serving up exactly the content that they want served up. That you don't like the content is another story.

snip

The truth is often not what we want to hear. But the website is up, and has not been hijacked.
John, I hate to burst your bubble, but you may be the ONLY person to misinterpret DOWN (as used in this context) to mean something other than, Voom shutting down their Web Site, as is clearly the case.

The site, as we knew it, has ceased to exist and for all intents and purposes IS down. Taken down, not crashed or hijacked as you point out, but DOWN nonetheless.

Now excuse me while I get back to the game!!!
:D :D :D

timetrax112 said:
So I am (was) a manager (OTL) in the inbound sales department. Honestly it caught me by suprise since we hadn't heard anything about the project shutting down in almost a month. Luckily I guess I don't work directly for VOOM but rather for West Buisness Services and we have other clients.

As a side note I can confirm what Spahose said in another thread... it's a sad day for me the time that I spent working for VOOM was great, the project was interesting and it was inbound :) which is always a bonus. Well monday I find out what project I will be going to and whether or not I will retain my OTL status (Operation Team Leader, big title that means floor manager, heh).

So heres wishing all the people I signed up good luck, and hopefully something better (or at least as good) will be just around the corner.

VOOM "no longer" Home of the HD Evolution...
I called in shortly after I heard word of the shutdown. The CSR tried her best to read the prepared text, but she could barely fight back the tears. The CSRs on the VOOM project have been nothing less than cordial and professional; stellar performers. Although our viewing habits will be affected, it is certainly nothing like the impact being felt by those who may be losing their jobs. Good luck and god bless all the wonderful people associated with this project.

Voom4me says:

John, I hate to burst your bubble, but you may be the ONLY person to misinterpret DOWN (as used in this context) to mean something other than, Voom shutting down their Web Site, as is clearly the case.

The site, as we knew it, has ceased to exist and for all intents and purposes IS down. Taken down, not crashed or hijacked as you point out, but DOWN nonetheless.

My "interpretation" has the added bonus of being entirely correct from a factual standpoint. No matter how deep you want to go, Voom's site is up and serving content.

The content you want to see is no longer being served up, but that's a matter for the webmaster and the content providers.

Does it make the situation suck any less? Nope, but I'm sticking up for the IT guys whose job it is to keep the servers up and running. When you say the Voom Web site is down, you're saying they aren't doing their job. Clearly, they are.

Cheers,

Yep... it is nitpicky...

But to follow up a bit on John's post, as a former programmer/web developer/tech the word 'down' has a *very* specific meaning (meaning- the system host machine the site resides on and/or webserver is not working and serving content or another issue (like network outage/connectivity problems) on the host end that would serve up a browser error message or timeout to the user instead or a valid page). It it's down you just can't get to it from the outside. Sorry- it's pendantic but 'down' isn't an interpretive word in IT.

Here's something I just don't get:
"I called in shortly after I heard word of the shutdown. The CSR tried her best to read the prepared text, but she could barely fight back the tears."

Why did you call? I don't get it. Did you think that a CSR would suddenly KNOW something that folks here don't know?

Lob

I agree with John's interpretation of 'DOWN' and annoyance at the misuse of the term. However I have learned to accept that non-techs will misuse terms and decided it was best just to blow it off and go on to other issues. Issues that more people might understand.

Voom SHOULD reenable its website, removing the GET_IT section as they did before and adding shutdown information for their subscribers to read more about the situation. Perhaps that is planned for this week and the quick "downing" of the site was all their webstaff could pull off on short notice. In any case, just because they SHOULD reopen the site doesn't mean they will.

The questions have just begun for Voom. They need to be open and honest about every next step to make sure ALL of their customers know what is going on, not just those who follow the chat forums. How about an on screen message or a 'shutdown channel' giving a news loop or information slide? It would be the worse case to just shut it off on April 30th without making sure everyone left knew.

JL

Yep- my husband and I were recently talking about the lack of a message on the Voom menu screen.

This is NOT a technical discussion, so get off my back…

John Kotches said:
My "interpretation" has the added bonus of being entirely correct from a factual standpoint. No matter how deep you want to go, Voom's site is up and serving content.

The content you want to see is no longer being served up, but that's a matter for the webmaster and the content providers.

Does it make the situation suck any less? Nope, but I'm sticking up for the IT guys whose job it is to keep the servers up and running. When you say the Voom Web site is down, you're saying they aren't doing their job. Clearly, they are.
If I had posted that comment on some Tech Forum, or were discussing the technical aspects of the Servers that were hosting the Voom Site, then perhaps you’d be justified in being aggravated. But this is NOT a technical discussion, so I have no idea why you are focusing on the interpretation of the word DOWN, as applied to Networks or Servers, especially in light of everything that has happened?

On this forum and in my thread, I chose to use the word DOWN to describe the action taken by the Voom Webmaster, which was to take DOWN the site, as we knew it. And considering the circumstances in which events unfolded and the time of my posting, I don’t think anyone could misinterpret what the post was referring to.

If for some reason you thought my post had indicated that the Voom Web Site had crashed or had been hijacked or suffered any other technical outage, then allow me to clarify for you. Voom has shut DOWN every aspect of their Web Site, except for a notice on the front page indicating that service will be discontinued as of April 30th. HAPPY?

<i> < snip > They need to be open and honest about every next step to make sure ALL of their customers know what is going on, not just those who follow the chat forums. How about an on screen message or a 'shutdown channel' giving a news loop or information slide? It would be the worse case to just shut it off on April 30th without making sure everyone left knew.</i><br>
<b>Without this forum, I would have never known VOOM is ceasing operations.

My Apologies...

justalurker said:
voom4me,

Chill out dude. There is no reason to increase your font size and yell.

JL
justalurker, Sorry, I meant no disrespect. :(

I just did not appreciate John Kotches, getting on my case because he did not approve of my use of the word DOWN. As far as I’m concerned the matter is closed. :)

Now back to enjoying BattleStar Galactic in HD. Have a good night all... :D

It still lives on in memory and also........

The website will still live on in our memories as well as at the Wayback machine internet archive. Here's a link that shows the history of the website. Originally it was used for vehicles. Maybe that's what it will go back to after being abandoned by Cablevision. On the page, October 4th, 2003 was the first date that the wayback machine has backed up. I don't know if this was its first time to be up and running. It goes all the way to November of 2004.
http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://www.voom.com

Cool, that's the first site I've seen in the Wayback machine where you can "see" a change in ownership of the domain. :)

And I see it was registered to Voom on Sep 5, 2003--not too long before the archive noticed the change in content.

I guess I could just specifically look up other sites that have changed ownership... but that doesn't count.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)