VOOM will be back -- on DISH!

I just upgraded to comcast digital platinum. two motorolla HD DVRs at 10 dollars a month, the non-HD unit is 5 dollars a month, 16 channels with HD content, no contract commitment, no expensive hardware to buy, and a 25 dollar discount for 16 months.

I have had dish all along, and am keeping it at minimum service for now, and waiting for Voom to pull the plug.

There is no way that dish will be adding significant HD content until at least the end of the year, Charlie said so himself at the last charlie chat.

In addition, the 942 does NOT support mpeg4, and the talk is that they do not plan to add programming to do so.

The reason I went with Voom in the first place was because Charlies false promises for HD content, and the experience I had with the 921. I will not invest heavily in Dish programming or additional hardware until their words are backed up by reality

In the meantime I will enjoy HD content on Comcast without having to fork out the cost of a new HD receiver

JAL says:
Dish has the EVEN transponders 2-22 and use of six transponders (odd and even) 26-31. Dish transmits transponders 25 and 32 for SkyAngel.

Rainbow1 covers the ODD transponders 1-21 and (via temporary authority) transponders 23 and 24.

Prior to the launch of Rainbow1, E* transmitted on some of RainbowDBS' transponders under special temporary authority. Telling their recievers about the existence of the odd transponders 1-21 (and 23-24 if granted) is trivial. Just a change in a network information table.

I agree it's a relatively trivial change, and they could get that done quickly. However, there's the agreement, the payment issue, and E*s seeming hesitancy to add new content.

There are issues with 61.5 offering true CONUS coverage out west, and I don't know if 148 has sufficient space. We're talking about 7-11 transponders depending on whether it's 2 or 3 HD / transponder. A bigger issue, and it probably isn't that big of a deal, is swapping out encryption hardware at the uplink facility to the satellite. For all we know, the hardware could be sitting there, in a rack waiting on approval or for Voom to stop broadcasting as a competing service.

I just have my doubts that E* will add substantial content before they roll out MPEG-4 .

Cheers,

Nayl said:
Will give my standard reply I will not support Voom even though I would love to the mere fact that money from it would end up trickling down into jimmy dolan's pocket is enough for me to say I will never do it no matter how good it turns out.
Hmmm... I never thought I would say somebody is going too far, but I think you are. If Voom21 comes available anywhere I can get, I will definitely sign up. I don't mind paying little Jimmy as long as I get my Voom.

Until somebody offers a large amount of commercial-free, quality HD, I am not signing with anybody. I am not expecting it to happen anytime soon.

1080iBeVuMin said:
...Until somebody offers a large amount of commercial-free, quality HD, I am not signing with anybody. I am not expecting it to happen anytime soon.
If you want commercial-free, quality HD, set your tuner to PBS-HD.

Quality TV costs money, commercials pay the bills.

mdonnelly said:

I think the point of a Voom21 (or other premium service) is that in the future one wil have to pay for it as an add-on. It *is* possible to have commercial-free high quality TV if people are willing to pay for it. I pay for HBO and I support ETV (PBS/NPR) here in South Carolina because I value both services as do millions of others. I also value Voom and would pay for that as a premium service with a provider.

If Dish brings up something similar I would subscribe and be willing to pay for it. I'd even go to (gasp!) DirecTV should it come to that!

CDH.

I'm not going to sign up for Dish even if VOOM 21 is broadcast. Dont get me wrong I love VOOM....but out of the 21 exclusive ch's I still only watched a couple. When I turn on VOOM I wouldnt really watch anything but Monsters and Worldsport......the movie exclusives had some movies that I liked, but not enough for me to say I need them. Im going to miss TNTHD for the movies on the weekends and the B Ball. I kept my Directv account going so I guess I'll pay the 10 bucks extra for their HD Lite package. But Im very happy to get YESHD for my Yankee games.

mdonnelly said:
No OTA here. Not an option.
mdonnelly said:
In my book commercials ruin quality TV, and the set gets shut off fast. Not worth my time to sit through that crap.

I am more than happy to pay the bills if they will keep it commercial-free. You get what you pay for.

By the way, this post was brought to you by Coca-Cola. :rolleyes:

Thats what the HD DVR is good for, skipping those commercials. I would at least like to see HD-Lite to be brought to us if they can upconvert SD to HD until they can bring higher true HD to us. Better something than nothing. You have to start somewhere. That is just like someone settling for nothing less than the corvette when they have enough just for the mustang.

To stay safe from a new unwanted commitment use cable in the interim. There is no commitment and if this happens with VOOM and DISH you'll be in a good position to go with it. Personally, I'm not going to get in a 1 year commitment again for a while. Gonna' wait & see. Hope you're right.

mdonnelly said:

Not in my area (Knoxville, TN market). My local PBS station (WKOP) has a constant staticy sound in the audio. Makes the channel pretty much unwatchable (unlistanable anyway). I have told them about it, but they won't ever fix it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts