Voomers in NYC metro area (including Locals)

Doing better in Clifton

When I had Voom installed I had complained about not getting NBC, WPIX and PBS. I understood the low broadcast powers, etc. Anyway, I was trying to watch my Eagles the other day on Fox--a channel I hadn't had any problems with--and it was horrible. Kept cutting out and all that. So I called Voom to see what I could have done. They scheduled someone to come out for Friday (today).

So the guy calls to say he's on the way, shows up and is a very nice guy. Takes one look at the original antenna (the smaller one with multiple arms) and said he needs to install a better antenna. I figure, "Great, another call..." Anyway, he walks back to his van and pulls out a Wineguard (the one that looks like an airplane wing). He goes and installs it on the existing pole and we head into the home theater to check it out. Doing better but not as good as it should be. So he says it needs to be higher on the roof.

Now, I had often wondered about that since it wasn't installed at the top, or anywhere near the top. I just figured low broadcast power, yadda yadda yadda... Anyway, to make a long story short, he installs it at the top of the roof and POOF! I have EVERYTHING except PBS (I know about this problem). I'm quite pleased about this one.

Anyway, he had also told me (rumor time!) PBS and the other channels would be, "fixed," sometime in the next month or so. I'm guessing that has to do with the combiner. Stay tuned for more...

The Rickster

According to a source at AVS it will take two to three more months for the combiner to be up and running....so I guess that will take up to around December...hopefully Jan 2005 everything should be up and running.

This is a picture of the combiner posted by Bogney Baux over at AVS. The combiner is being stored in Maine currently and is scheduled to arrive in NYC in a month or so....and then it would take another mth to install.

Attachments

• combiner.jpg
    combiner.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 131
Well...

Maybe I spoke too soon. I was flipping through channels last night and found I could no get ABC (channel 7). I thought this strange as I've never had a problem with them before (except once when the weather was really bad). I'll check it out again today and see if it might be the weather--wait a minute, it's raining HARD out there with the last of Ivan. Maybe I'll have to wait until later to check...

The Rickster

My Ant just flew away ...well it didnt fly away it fell over. Im going to have to go up on the roof to inspect. I could see that some of the elements fell off in the process. Looks like Im going back to the Stealth. We will see.

ABC lowering output power late at night?

Well, I played around a bit yesterday during the storm. I can receive ABC during the day but, late at night, I have problems. Does anyone know if ABC (for some reason) lowers their output power at night or something?

The Rickster

Plot thickens...

I've checked back occasionally over the weekend and, at times, ABC is dropping out horribly, while, at other times, it's rock solid. Not sure I understand this one. I get everything else in just fine.

The SNR is what fluctuates wildly. Goes from 2x.xx to 00.00 (of course losing pic and audio) then back. Anyone know what this might be?

The Rickster

No Yes network really hurt us NEW YORKERS last night that wanted to watch the Yanks vs Boston. I had to switch to Directv for my Yankee fix. Its one big example why VOOM can never be the sole provider in my house.

Hi:
Last night on channel 50-3 I caught the end of "chefs afield" which is a really good high definition cooking show that used to be on channel 21. It was not listed in the program guide - even on the wrong sub channel as most of the channel 50 stuff is listed. Is there anywhere that I can get a correct program guide for channel 50-1 through 50-5? The NJN web site says their high definition programming is on 50-5 but I always get it on 50-3. Do other OTA receivers get it on 50-3 as well or this a problem with the VOOM box? Also, is channel 13 going to be on that new combiner?
Thanks,
Joseph

Joseph,

I also get it on 50-3. The PG is a problem with NJN. If you go to their website, they don't even have an accurate program guide. It looks like they do not follow the national pbs pgrm guide and have their own programming in place. I never asked VOOM about changing the HD feed to 50-5 but I can ask them to do so. Should we do it?

Hi Sean:
How does the HD feed come in on other OTA receivers - if other receivers receive it as 50-3 then we should leave it alone. If others get it as 50-5 then I guess it should match. This info should come in the PSIP data stream I think. I would not doubt that NJN is sending it wrong. Do you know if channel 13 will be in that new combiner?
Joseph

If you get a chance check out Chefs Afield (if you can find out when it is on) The chefs go out and catch or gather the ingredients and then cook them in a restaurant kitchen. You get the HD nature footage when they are out harpooning the tuna, catching the fish, gatherin mushrooms, etc... Then there are lots of HD closeups of the food cooking.

Joseph,

I think it is only on the VOOM receivers that comes in in 50-3. I need to check my other non-voom receiver to see if it comes on 50-5. As to channel 13, yes that is what everybody is saying but who knows. I'll try to catch it thanks.

yes, I did, and then my box locked when I tried to cjeck the signal strength with help, info, OK

Hi:
My channel 2-1 seems to shut down every night around the time that David Letterman is on. Even on election night it shut down around the same time. Does this happen to everyone?
Joseph

jnardone said:
Hi:
My channel 2-1 seems to shut down every night around the time that David Letterman is on. Even on election night it shut down around the same time. Does this happen to everyone?
Joseph

Yes, it is part of the maintenance done at the ESB for the combiner.

Combiner=Voom DVR

Is this combiner EVER going to be completed? I mean, it reminds me of the Voom DVR. We all know it's coming. We keep hearing things which tell us it's coming. But it just never does. Frustrating...

The Rickster

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)