Voomers in NYC metro area (including Locals)

rang1995 said:
mr Biggles

ohh rah

:bow

pushup2.jpg

Last year WPIX in NY Metro Area Televised HOME Games of the NY Mets in High Definition. I am trying to find out if they will this year as well so that I can add these to the alerts for us that leave within the vicinity of NY and are able to get WB which is transmitting at low power.

GAME DAY DATE VISITOR HOME GAME
TIME (ET)

PRE-1 Sunday March-14 Minnesota Twins vs. NY METS (from Port St. Lucie, FL) 1:10
PRE-2 Sunday March-21 Los Angeles Dodgers vs. NY METS (from Port St. Lucie, FL) 1:10
PRE-3 Saturday March-27 NY METS at Atlanta Braves (from Orlando, FL) 1:05
1 Saturday April-10 NY METS at Montreal Expos (from Puerto Rico) 7:05
2 Sunday April-11 NY METS at Montreal Expos (from Puerto Rico) 1:35
3 Saturday April-17 Pittsburgh Pirates at NY METS 1:10
4 Sunday April-18 Pittsburgh Pirates at NY METS 1:10
5 Saturday April-24 NY METS at Chicago Cubs 2:20
6 Sunday April-25 NY METS at Chicago Cubs 2:20
7 Saturday May-1 NY METS at San Diego Padres 10:05
8 Sunday May-2 NY METS at San Diego Padres 4:05
9 Saturday May-8 Milwaukee Brewers at NY METS 1:10
10 Sunday May-9 Milwaukee Brewers at NY METS 1:10
11 Saturday May-15 NY METS at Houston Astros 7:05
12 Sunday May-16 NY METS at Houston Astros 2:05
13 Saturday May-22 Colorado Rockies at NY METS 7:10
14 Sunday May-23 Colorado Rockies at NY METS 1:10
15 Friday May-28 NY METS at Florida Marlins 7:35
16 Saturday May-29 NY METS at Florida Marlins 6:05
17 Sunday May-30 NY METS at Florida Marlins 3:05
18 Monday May-31 NY METS at Philadelphia Phillies 1:05
19 Friday June-4 Florida Marlins at NY METS 7:10
20 Sunday June-6 Florida Marlins at NY METS 1:10
21 Friday June-11 NY METS at Kansas City Royals 8:10
22 Sunday June-13 NY METS at Kansas City Royals 2:10
23 Friday June-18 Detroit Tigers at NY METS 7:10
24 Saturday June-19 Detroit Tigers at NY METS 7:10
25 Sunday June-20 Detroit Tigers at NY METS 1:10
26 Friday June-25 NY METS at NY Yankees 7:05
27 Friday July-2 NY Yankees at NY METS 7:10
28 Saturday July-10 NY METS at Florida Marlins 6:05
29 Sunday July-11 NY METS at Florida Marlins 3:05
30 Friday July-16 Philadelphia Phillies at NY METS 7:10
31 Sunday July-18 Philadelphia Phillies at NY METS 1:10
32 Friday July-23 Atlanta Braves at NY METS 7:10
33 Saturday July-24 Atlanta Braves at NY METS 7:10
34 Sunday July-25 Atlanta Braves at NY METS 1:10
35 Friday July-30 NY METS at Atlanta Braves 7:35
36 Saturday July-31 NY METS at Atlanta Braves 7:05
37 Sunday August-1 NY METS at Atlanta Braves 1:05
38 Sunday August-8 NY METS at St. Louis Cardinals 2:15
39 Saturday August-14 Arizona Diamondbacks at NY METS 7:10
40 Sunday August-15 Arizona Diamondbacks at NY METS 1:10
41 Friday August-20 NY METS at San Francisco Giants 10:15
42 Sunday August-22 NY METS at San Francisco Giants ** 4:05
43 Friday August-27 Los Angeles Dodgers at NY METS 7:10
44 Sunday August-29 Los Angeles Dodgers at NY METS 1:10

45 Friday September-3 NY METS at Philadelphia Phillies 7:05
46 Saturday September-4 NY METS at Philadelphia Phillies 7:05
47 Sunday September-5 NY METS at Philadelphia Phillies 1:35
48 Sunday September-12 Philadelphia Phillies at NY METS ** 1:10
49 Saturday September-18 NY METS at Pittsburgh Pirates 7:05
50 Sunday September-19 NY METS at Pittsburgh Pirates 1:35

I had my VOOM installed on Tuesday of last week. They put up the stealth Ant that comes with the installation and OTA I am getting CBS-DT, FOX, UPN and WABC-DT but with drop outs. But I really cant tell if it is ABC or a weak sig. Alot of people seem to be having problems with ABC so it might not be the ANT. I would like to get NBC and PIX....but at least NBC, which I have no sig right now. I think I am going to call VOOM and see what they could do for me.
DId anyone have problems with dropouts last night on ABC-DT during Dr. Dolittle? I had freezing and dropouts.
Is there anyway I could tell how strong the OTA sig is. Or is the signal meter just for the Sat dish?
One more question that I forgot.... I have the one coax coming in with both sigs and it runs to the back of the vooM BOX into a piece that the installer snapped into the back of the receiver. They also gave me a amp for inside to plug in and one side goes to the SAT and ANT input and the other side goes to the input on the Voom receiver...into the snap on piece. Will this Amp effect the sat sig also?

vinnyv07,

welcome. Depending where you are located in NYC, your signal varies. I do not know about last on ABC. Right now, I get a steady signal on ABC. I get CBS, ABC, WB, NBC, & Fox with no dropouts. I am in the Bronx about 10 miles from Manhattan.

Are you running two lines for OTA without diplexer? Was the pre-amp installed?

To see the OTA meter, select the local channel you want to check the signal strength then click on VOOM button ---> Green Button---> System Settings --->system status and scroll to system status channel. There are two readings the signal quality and signal power. The signal quality is the one that needs to be high and the signal power is in the mid 40's.

Yes my installer ran one wire in to my house with both sigs in that one wire. I do have a coax outside that I could connect to the Ant that would run the signals of the stealth and the Voom dish seperate. The installer also installed what looked like a card for power inside the stealth ant. But on the inside he also gave me a powered amp to plug in. Can I use that even though I have the one line running in? I am going to check my signal now on my OTA ch's thanks...

vinnyv07 said:
Yes my installer ran one wire in to my house with both sigs in that one wire. I do have a coax outside that I could connect to the Ant that would run the signals of the stealth and the Voom dish seperate. The installer also installed what looked like a card for power inside the stealth ant. But on the inside he also gave me a powered amp to plug in. Can I use that even though I have the one line running in? I am going to check my signal now on my OTA ch's thanks...

You might want to get rid of the diplexer and run a coax line separate from your antenna. Make sure to disconnect your receiver to prevent shorting out the OTA module. Once you have that then you can use the pre-amp if you still do not get satisfactory strength on your OTA.

Thanks Sean for your help. I checked my sig quality for all of locals...cbs is anywhere from 70-55. NBC is lfrom 22 down to 3, not enough to get a picture. Fox and UPN are at 60 to 50 no dropouts. ABC is from 50 to 10 with dropouts. Wpix is like NBC very low no picture. So I am going to reconnect my Coax and run the sigs seperate. I'll get back to you on what happens. Thanks.

OK Im back...I connected my coax to the Ant and ran that wire with the OTA sig in it only. I reboot the receiver...and the signal for the OTA was worse than before. Im using 100ft of coax rg-6. I connected the amp that they gave me...its a chan master amp and there was no difference. Then I connected a amp from another ant that I used to have and it made some difference ...but made the sig fluctuate so much that I was starting to get dropouts on CBS...which with the diplexer that they installed there was none.
So I reconnected everything...and Im back to steady 60's to 70's on cbs...nothing but a 20 on nbc and pix abc goes in and out and fox is 60. I have the ch master 3010 ant and Im going to ask VOOm to upgrade it for me.

Sean Mota said:
vinyyv07,

that sounds like a good solution.
Ok I called VOOM and they told me that they would set up a date for an installer to come back to my house and try to resolve some of the OTA issues that I am having. She told me that they would upgrade my OTA ANt with the next model up ...they would cover up to 60 bucks for another ANT. Then I called back to make sure I didnt have to pay that much...a man from VOOM said that the next model up ANT goes for around 50 bucks and that I wouldnt have to pay for installation. Sounds like a good deal to me. I really dont think that my current stealth ANT is hooked up the correct way. Just the fact that the pre amp does nothing for the signal tells me something is up. Thanks for your help Sawn...and I will get back to you when they come to my house to install the new Ant. I have them coming on a Sunday the 21st. Not bad for me because I work every other day of the week.

vinnyv07 said:
Ok I called VOOM and they told me that they would set up a date for an installer to come back to my house and try to resolve some of the OTA issues that I am having. She told me that they would upgrade my OTA ANt with the next model up ...they would cover up to 60 bucks for another ANT. Then I called back to make sure I didnt have to pay that much...a man from VOOM said that the next model up ANT goes for around 50 bucks and that I wouldnt have to pay for installation. Sounds like a good deal to me. I really dont think that my current stealth ANT is hooked up the correct way. Just the fact that the pre amp does nothing for the signal tells me something is up. Thanks for your help Sawn...and I will get back to you when they come to my house to install the new Ant. I have them coming on a Sunday the 21st. Not bad for me because I work every other day of the week.

I just called and they said the antenna upgrade was free! DO NOT PAY A DIME! My upgrade is due FRI. (Of course it depends on your loaction from the sources to qualify for free- keep pushing for FREE)

I had my initial installation two weeks ago (Feb 29th), and warned them in advance that I would need a stronger antenna (located in Rockland County). They said no problem, the installer would bring a bigger antenna with them and I would only pay the excess over the first $60. So, I signed up for the lease program.

Installer shows up, with a larger antenna that was primarily a VHF antenna (it did say HD on the box, but it certainly had a very small section of UHF elements). Needless to say, it didn't give any higher signal readings than the Stealth. I received CBS only, with no signal on any other channels. So, I called Voom back, and they scheduled a service call for Saturday March 13, between 8 & 12. They assured me that the installers will bring an upgraded off-air antenna...

Saturday arrives, and at 12:30 with no sign of the installers I give Voom a call. Just as the lady pulls up my account information, a white van with a DirecTV logo on it pulls into my driveway (I thought it was so funny, I told the Voom rep "nevermind, they must be here, a white van with a DirecTV logo on it just pulled into my driveway - this must be your service team". Two guys come in, and tell me that they are here to realign my satellite dish...

I explained to them that the satellite signal is fine - it's the off-air antenna that they are here to replace. They tell me that they don't have an antenna on their van. That's when I pointed to the big white box in my entry foyer, which contained a brand-new Channel Master 4228 ("once burnt, twice shy"). They look at the box, and said that they would get started. About 1/2 hour later, they come in the house and tell me that the antenna didn't come with a pole. I asked if they meant an antenna mast, and offered up one that I had in my basement. Off they go, back outside... About 15 minutes later they come back in the house, and ask me if I have an antenna mount. At this point, I was too shocked to say anything else, so I asked them to repeat the question -- how could these guys not have an antenna mount on their truck???

So off we go to a local Radio Shack to get a mount -- I took these guys with me so they could pick whatever they wanted (and that I wouldn't be responsible for buying the wrong thing). We bought two different roof mounts, just to be safe. We get back to the house, and off they go again...

15 minutes later they come back into the house and inform me that the mounts are not strong enough to support the antenna, and that I would have to reschedule. And there they went to their next appointment (now it is 2:45 and my Saturday is about shot with no improvement).

I get on the phone with Voom, ready to read them the riot act. That's when the classic he said-she said started. Voom insists that the work order said "customer receives only one off-air channel and needs a larger off-air antenna" and that the installation company made a mistake. They give me the number for the installation company, and then asked me to call them, appologized, and basically ended the call.

I call the installation company who appologized and offered to send someone out during the week to fix it. I told them that I need a weekend, and the best they could do was next Saturday (March 21). They also told me that they don't work on Sundays (which I was very surprised to hear).

I called Voom back and very kindly explained that I was very disappointed to find that we are at 3 appointments (and counting...) to get the installation completed. They rep was polite, and basically asked me to tell my story and he would have someone call me back to discuss a solution to the situation -- let's see if anyone calls me back!

If these guys don't get it straightened out this weekend, I am going to hand them the box back, and cut my losses.

Oh boy that doesnt sound good. I called VOOM and they are coming back to my house with an 'upgraded' ANT. Im hoping thats the 4228...but who knows. A VOOM rep did say that they would cover $60 for the cost of another ANT and the upgrade is like 50 bucks so it would be free. Now Im nervous.

High Technology said:
I called Voom back and very kindly explained that I was very disappointed to find that we are at 3 appointments (and counting...) to get the installation completed. They rep was polite, and basically asked me to tell my story and he would have someone call me back to discuss a solution to the situation -- let's see if anyone calls me back!

If these guys don't get it straightened out this weekend, I am going to hand them the box back, and cut my losses.

Sounds to me like V* has done everything within their power to make things right.

Other than them coming out and holding the hands of your inept installer, I'm not sure your placing the blame in the right place.

These installers are all supposedly 'trained' to install E*,D* and V*....I'm now beginning to see the light and who is the real culprit. And it ain't V*.

Bill

Bill (Mr. Biggles),

I respectfully disagree with you that the full blame belongs to the installer. Voom should be responsible, since they chose the installers. It seems to me that most people's complaints center around off-air installation issues, and clearly Voom has not demonstrated that the best installers were chosen to handle the off-air capabilities of Voom. If I chose the installer myself, then I would agree with you completely.

This is a high-end system, positioned to appeal to the big-ticket subscribers who have already spent $2,000 & up on their TVs. These types of installation issues are going to give Voom a bad name, which will impede their business. We are Voom's customers, and if they want to keep us as subscribers (where the money is at), they need to get the installations done right (which will also save them the cost of service calls).

Vinny,

if you really want a 4228, call the installer in advance -- don't take a chance that they will pick this antenna. If they can't get it for you, buy it yourself. If you can get it locally, is $50 -- I got mine from Consumer-Direct for $50 + $22 shipping since I couldn't find it locally. It seems like a reasonable request ot ask Voom to rebate you up to $60 if the installer can't provide this antenna (and even if Voom won't pay, your time and trouble of having the installers come back is well worth the cost of the antenna).

Craig

Just a question Craig. The 4228 , thats just UHF correct? Will that be able to get me a sig from WPIX which is currently VHF? Or if anyone has the 4228 care to let me know if the 4228 will pick up PIX?

vinnyv07 said:
Just a question Craig. The 4228 , thats just UHF correct? Will that be able to get me a sig from WPIX which is currently VHF? Or if anyone has the 4228 care to let me know if the 4228 will pick up PIX?

Vinnyv07,

I have two antenna connected. I also have two receivers. These were setup before VOOM so I decided not to install the VOOM Stealth Antenna. One of them is the RS VHF/UHF which I get WPIX; the other is a UHF only and I cannot get WPIX on it. I only live about 10 miles from Manhattan and nothing is blocking my signal. This spring/summer I will installed the Stealth Antenna and take down the channelmaster UHF only in hope to get WPIX. I read people getting WPIX with an UHF ONLY but you have to be really close because WPIX is transmitting at low power right now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)