Voomers in NYC metro area (including Locals)

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Thats what I figured. Since Im not getting PIX now I guess I have nothing to lose by them coming and installing a better ANt. Tonight with the cloud cover I wasnt getting a picture on ABC...I wanted to check out the HD for THE GREEN MILE. Hopefully pix will switch over to UHF when they increase the sig strenght.

Good point about WPIX - I forgot they were on Channel 12. I doubt that the Channel Master UHF would receive channel 12, unless as Sean said, you are close to the city. This antenna's roll-off below channel 20 is pretty steep, but still better than many others. Take a look at the graphs I found here:

http://www.hdtvprimer.com/ANTENNAS/comparing.html

High Technology said:
Good point about WPIX - I forgot they were on Channel 12. I doubt that the Channel Master UHF would receive channel 12, unless as Sean said, you are close to the city. This antenna's roll-off below channel 20 is pretty steep, but still better than many others. Take a look at the graphs I found here:

http://www.hdtvprimer.com/ANTENNAS/comparing.html
Interesting info on alot of the top OTA ANT's. I think when the VOOm installer comes next SUnday Im going to tell him to first check the stealth that I have up on my roof already. I dont think the installer put it together properly. When I use the stealth on an independent coax...with the powered amp inside...I see no difference in signal strength. Shouldnt there be some difference with the amp? Seems fishy to me.

vinnyv07 said:
Interesting info on alot of the top OTA ANT's. I think when the VOOm installer comes next SUnday Im going to tell him to first check the stealth that I have up on my roof already. I dont think the installer put it together properly. When I use the stealth on an independent coax...with the powered amp inside...I see no difference in signal strength. Shouldnt there be some difference with the amp? Seems fishy to me.

It all depends. If you live very close to the transmitter, a pre-amp should not be used because it may overpower the pre-amp. That happened to me and the pre-amp went to waste.

this is madness....

Hey guys... Im new to this site.. not new to the community though.

I decided to give this VOOM thing a try... so far, its been a NIGHTMARE. They have this GREAT Customer Support gimmick when you call them on the phone. These people are the most pleasant, happy souls you will ever encounter. Problem is... they contract some of the WORSE installation companies in town.

I live in Brooklyn, NY...

I ordered VOOM about a week ago. My installation was scheduled for Today (Mar 23rd between 8 & 12) at about 11:57am I receive a call from a guy with a Caribbean accent asking If I had ordered DIRECTV??!?!? I said to him.. "no, I ordered VOOM"... he says... "its the same thing" :confused: :eek:

So being the Home Theater guru that I believe myself to be, I was already offended. I mean, how could he say its the "same thing"? Anyway... I go downstairs to greet the 2 installers. 1 one of them... by the name of Maurice seemed to have BLOODSHOT eyes... like he either was hung over... or got an early start on some booz this morning. The other just stared... he was somewhat of the apprentice. So they come up to my place, look out a few windows and out of nowhere the guy Maurice says to me... "we gonna have to reschedule because the DISH will not clear the building nexy door"...

I thought he was pulling my leg... maybe joking trying to lighten the mood... until he started heading for the door. I interrupted, "what do you mean you cant clear the building?" He got annoyed and didnt wanna have to explain it to me... but I demanded to know more than just what he was willing to tell me to get out of the job. So went on with this story about how the adjacent building is too tall and the dish will not be able to see the bird in the sky. I explained to him that I was NO FOOL and that I understood what he was saying... but also that I understood that VOOM's bird was at the same location as DISH's bird.... so theoretically I knew he was pulling my leg....considering the fact that there are 2 Dish Network Dish's mounted on my roof that belong to the people that live downstairs. :rolleyes: ...

anyway... that just made him annoyed and he changed the story and said that my OTA Antenna is the one that wouldnt clear the building. Hmmm.... the building is about 3 feet taller than my building...

So anyway... I suspected that this guy just didnt want to do the job and I told him to wait until I contact VOOM or Install Inc b4 he just ups and leaves. He didnt wait... he left me standing there with the phone in my hand.

I apologize for the Rant... but me and My wife took the day off work to have this done. I had my heart set on enjoying some VOOM tonight. I even invited a group of friends over. Anyway, when I contacted VOOM about the mishap they said they needed to contact Install Inc. Now for 30 mins I had to HOLD the phone while they played the blame game back and forth.... now Im sitting here waiting on ANOTHER Installation DATE... and I specifically requested ANOTHER Installation Company. I am thinking about just canceling the whole thing.

If you live in the NYC AREA... stay away from the Installation Company SUREFLY or SUREWAY(one or the other)... they NEVER answer their phone when you call and their techs are Terrible. They dont even know how to speak to a Customer properly.

Thanks for giving me the time.

tattootearz,

Welcome. Send an email to "Joe Harkins" <jharkins@installs.com>. He works at Installs Inc and will take care of you. Expain to him exactly what happened and he will do everything in his power to get you installed today.

I emailed him...

I hope he can do something because my schedule is soo hectic and I dont wanna have to wait another week for this service. These companies really dont care about the little guys. I work for a Congressman, maybe I should report this to my boss... *shrugs*... I dont want to have to go through that. I just want my VOOM.

Thanks Sean.

Well I havent received a reply from Mr. Harkins... and so far I am getting nowhere. Maybe VOOM is just not for me. I've already waited a week and I dont feel that I should have to wait any longer for a company that only has a little over 1000 subscribers. If I have no value to them now... then when and if they ever hit the 1 Million Subscriber level... I will be less than dust then.

Oh well... :no

I'm thinking of going to VOOM from DirecTV... The only problem I have is that I live on Staten Island (10306), and it is a Condo community, I will not be able to put any of those huge channel master antennas on my Roof. Is there a work around?
I currently have Silver Sensor which doesn't work at all, can't get anything! I will need some kind of "invisible" antenna to catch OTA. Any suggestions?
My dish is currently mounted on the side of my shed in the backyard.

OK, my VOOM technician arrived about 20 mins ago....

so far, this guy is of a whole different breed than the other one I had. He greeted me with a smile at the door and has carried pretty decent conversation with me so far. He says that he has installed VOOM about 5 or 6 times (im leaning toward 5)....

he WILL NOT be installing a diplexor and he is giving me a Stealthtenna...

QUESTION: Does the Voom box run hot? Can I put my cable box on top of it?

anyway, I will report back with details....

**Update**

VOOM is installed. All locals coming in excellent with Channel Master STEALTHtenna... The installer left about 20 mins ago, and my Program Guide is STILL loading. lol...

By sometime tomorrow I should probably be able to check the guide. *fingers crossed*...

Anyhow, this install was rather painless....considering the events of the days prior. Im gonna go watch some VOOM.

What was the name of the company that did installation?
I have my installation scheduled for March 31st.

I asked the rep for Installs Inc.

The guy who did my installation did not belong to any company. He was a one man show and he traveled from New Jersey to do the installation. His name was Luis...

I think he did a great job as I have ALL my locals with great strength (WB, NBC, CBS, WPIX, ABC, FOX and crappy UPN).

He didnt mind re-tweaking the dish when I asked him to. Now my Satellite Signal Power is at 64 while the Quality is at 61.

He also gave me his personal Cellphone number where I could reach him for any reasons. I could contact him and get his permission to give you his info... so that you may REQUEST him if you like.

Received an email from Installs Inc, regarding my scheduled install, and it says that the actual installer will be SureWay Antenna Service Inc. - and this is the company that everybody complains about.
I'm confused, Does SureWay belong to Installs Inc?

knyaz said:
Received an email from Installs Inc, regarding my scheduled install, and it says that the actual installer will be SureWay Antenna Service Inc. - and this is the company that everybody complains about.
I'm confused, Does SureWay belong to Installs Inc?

Yeah... These guys do not do a good job. There was a post here that gave them a bad review. If I were you I would not let them do the installation. Contact "Joe Harkins" <jharkins@installs.com> and let him know that you are worried about the installations with these guys and prefer another installer. No SureWay is subcontracted by Installs Inc.

Well, I called VOOM and they tried to give me a different installer, but they were unable to do so, since the equipment was already shipped and stuff like that,
and I already took a day off for March 31st. If Sureway will be that bad, I will call voom to fix or re-do installation.
Installs Inc is contracted by VOOM and SureWay is by Installs Inc.... what a mess!
I'll update you on 31st with experience.
Thank you.

New hear and covers

Hi all I am new hear.
I am hear in north NJ and consernd with snow and ice on dish it will be 3 storys up! :) How can I start a new thread like dish covers where to buy and do they heart signal??
Sean Mota thanks for you help I just wish I found your posts before the first try for install and no show installer!! :mad: :mad: :down

Hi Beny

Welcome. Use the main forum for this type of question. For more specific questions to your area, you can post here or create a new thread according to your location.

Thanks I am finding it hard to navigate this forum. But i will get use to it> Your posts have helped me thanks!!!! :up :usa

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts