Voomers in NYC metro area (including Locals)

pmalve

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 6, 2003
I live in Bethlehem CT and am having Voom installed March 3rd. The csr said the put up a stealth antenna for the locals. Our ABC and UPN networks are on VHF. NBC FOX CBS WB and PBS are UHF from different direction. I dont have much faith in this antenna they are putting up and am looking for suggestions. I know the Channel Master 4228 is supposed to be excellent for UHF. I was wondering if I should get a combined VHF/UHF antenna or 2 separate antennas and combine signal in the amp. I know CT is tough for ota and any help i could get would be highly appreciated. According to antennaweb I need violet colored antenna.

pmalve said:
Where are you located?

I am located in Throgs Neck (NYC). From where I am about 45 miles or so I can pick up ABC WHNT and WEDW from CT with this antenna. I used to do this before our ABC in NYC when live and before WLIW (long Inland) PBS went live. So in my experience this Radio Shack antenna UHF/VHF has good range. It is a monster but it is a good one.

Sean Mota said:
I am located in Throgs Neck (NYC). From where I am about 45 miles or so I can pick up ABC WHNT and WEDW from CT with this antenna. I used to do this before our ABC in NYC when live and before WLIW (long Inland) PBS went live. So in my experience this Radio Shack antenna UHF/VHF has good range. It is a monster but it is a good one.
Are you using an amp? Are the New york channels broadcasting in low power?
I used to get a good analog signal from them when I used to have my Big channel master antenna up. Cant believe I threw it out thinking I would never need it again. Think I am about 75 miles as the crow flies to NYC.

pmalve said:
Are you using an amp? Are the New york channels broadcasting in low power?
I used to get a good analog signal from them when I used to have my Big channel master antenna up. Cant believe I threw it out thinking I would never need it again. Think I am about 75 miles as the crow flies to NYC.

No amp. I am so close to Manhattan 10-15 miles (more or less) with a direct sight to the Manhattan and no obstacle that the amp I used was fried. Too much power coming from CBS. I believe CBS and FOX are the only ones broadcasting at high power and most can get them in NYC area. As to ABC & NBC they just started broadcasting last november at low power. Not everybody can get their signal. WB also started broadcasting but this one is at a very low power. Our PBS (channel 13) I cannot get. It is the only one I can not get. They are broadcasting at a low power and their antenna is pointing towards NJ. That's why I use the rotor and turn to WLIW for PBS.

P.S. I still can get these two CT stations without an amp.

Sean Mota said:
No amp. I am so close to Manhattan 10-15 miles (more or less) with a direct sight to the Manhattan and no obstacle that the amp I used was fried. Too much power coming from CBS. I believe CBS and FOX are the only ones broadcasting at high power and most can get them in NYC area. As to ABC & NBC they just started broadcasting last november at low power. Not everybody can get their signal. WB also started broadcasting but this one is at a very low power. Our PBS (channel 13) I cannot get. It is the only one I can not get. They are broadcasting at a low power and their antenna is pointing towards NJ. That's why I use the rotor and turn to WLIW for PBS.
Thanks for your help. Because of all your postings I signed up for voom. Hope it isnt hard to use or wife will have a stroke. She just got used to setup I have now. I would of stuck with digital cable if they would put the networks on. Am going to miss Video on demand, but cant afford both.

Can you only get the ota channels listed for your zipcode or is there a way to scan if I wanted to try to get NY channels. From what I am reading it seems to come programmed for your zipcode.

pmalve said:
Can you only get the ota channels listed for your zipcode or is there a way to scan if I wanted to try to get NY channels. From what I am reading it seems to come programmed for your zipcode.

It is only what's available for your zipcode right now. By April, we should get the OTA Scan feature and you will be able to pick the NY channels.

Voomers in NYC metro area

That covers NYC,NJ,CT all those with cablevision ,io twc and others so we can compare signals,service etc..I think lots of us here

i live in NJ below the palisades and the 4228 works well for me on the stuff coming from the empire state building,it is directional so i do not get the others but 2,4,5,7,9,11 is enough..also not to big and ugly which counts where i live(angry neighbors :)

Sean Mota said:
Anyone in NYC getting drop outs from 7.1 and no signal on 7.2 ABC?

Yup, good signal strength, but the channel is unwatchable right now. Freezing and pixelizing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts