Voom's free switchover offer to Dish far from free...

Voomster

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 21, 2004
SF Bay Area
I spoke with with Dish Network in the past two week several times with their
special price offers to switch over. The story and their special offers keeps changing with each phone call. And to add insult to injury even during the call the rules change dramatically. I just have the feeling I distrust just about everything Dish Says and they seem to absolutely refuse to put anything in writing which adds to my distrust of them. :(

During Voom's last night, they advertised free installation 4 room with HD receivers for free you just pay $ 19.99 per month for three Months ;)

But call them on the phone and their will give you one HD stb and you pay for installation $ 49.95 plus $ 200.00 for an HD dish plus rental fees for every HD stb over (1) the first one and you must have a 1 year service agreement even if You or They miss understand or misrepresent any therms in their agreement :eek:

I just clearly get the feeling they still are not telling all the $$$ facts $$$
especialy when they refuse to put anything they say in writting :shocked

I disconnected the Multiplexer and put the feed cable to the OTA connection
and I still get the Voom Buttom Function(s) with accurate time and date and system check functions, with about 60 OTA digital and HD channels and free (ota) HDnet :cool: And all HD and local channel discriptors up to date :rolleyes:

I'm not sure if I go anywhere at all , I'll see If I can live with ota for a while :confused:

But the High level of honesty and trust and understanding I had when I conducted business with Voom csr's has vanished along with Voom HD !protest

And that is my opinion :p

RIP VOOM :bow :bow :bow :bow :bow :bow :bow :bow :bow :bow

still being the Voomster :rainbow

Long Live OTA

D

I think all they meant was the call is free.

It's more like the $100 Voom surcharge/switching fee.
VaVaVoom just went way up and the content way down.

DISH offer

called Dish got, got their offer and it sucks. Told them I will stick with D* as I have had it for years. Guess VoOM will be just a warm memory for me. I will wait on D* to get the new birds up and running.I get all networks OTA and they have much better quality than anything on ANY bird up there.

OK guys here's the deal.......

DO NOT CALL DISH!!!!!!!

The reason for this is that the people there do not know what is going on half of the time and you get a different answer about stuff every time you call. As a retailer for them I get the same thing.

What you need to do is to call a local retailer, not Best Buy or Costco, but someone who specializes in satellite T.V.

I just sold a Dish Network job yesterday to a previous VOOM customer, gave him 2 811's for FREE along with 2 standard 311 receivers. All you have to pay is $49.99 up front and you get that back on your first bill as a credit. The ONLY time you pay extra is if you get a 942 ($249.99) or a 625 ($19.99).

My company has been doing this for 13 years and we have a very good reputation. The only time we tell people to call Dish Network is for the dishin' it up promo or the dish mover.

So if you guys want to do the VOOM channels with Dish Network I would highly recommend finding a local retailer, because they can do everything for you that Dish can, except you won't get the headache. If you do not know a local retailer, send me a PM with your info and I will find you one regardless of whether it is E* or D*.

Happy shopping.

Hey AxE, when going through a retailer instead of calling DISH directly do I only get the equipment and install from the retailer (meaning I'll still have to contact DISH directly about the programming deal), or can the retailer set up the programming as well?

The reason I ask is because I'm very interested in getting ONLY the HD Pak and the Voom channels (have heard it would be about $20/month), but the csr's I've talked to at E* say I need to sub to a base pack to get any HD. :confused:

Yes you can get the equipment from the retailers. After the installation they are supposed to call in to Dish and activate your system for you. At that time whatever programming package you have chosen will be activated. The only thing is that you will have to get at least the AT 60 for $31.99 to get the HD package.

Voomster said:
;)

But call them on the phone and their will give you one HD stb and you pay for installation $ 49.95 plus $ 200.00 for an HD dish plus rental fees for every HD stb over (1) the first one and you must have a 1 year service agreement even if You or They miss understand or misrepresent any therms in their agreement :eek:

D

VOOMSTER I AM SORRY YOU WERE MISLEAD!!

There is no such thing as charging you $200 for another dish...that $200 is for the 942. Call a retailer....I can't stress it enough.

AxE said:
Yes you can get the equipment from the retailers. After the installation they are supposed to call in to Dish and activate your system for you. At that time whatever programming package you have chosen will be activated. The only thing is that you will have to get at least the AT 60 for $31.99 to get the HD package.
Do you know how long you have to keep at least the AT 60 before you can downgrade to just the HD Pack+Voom? Will that ever be possible, or is that simply a thing of a past?

AxE, I was told by 1-800-WOW-HDTV that I need to pay $100 for the extra dish to get VOOM channels. Would a retialer waive this fee for me? I do not understand why DISH cannot use the existing dish provided by VOOM for that.

TheTimm said:
Do you know how long you have to keep at least the AT 60 before you can downgrade to just the HD Pack+Voom? Will that ever be possible, or is that simply a thing of a past?

In the past you had to fulfill your commitment period before you could just get the HD service by itself. So if the commitment is for 1 year or 2 years, then you could not make the change until that time.

Timm, I would suggest you find an 811 or a 6000 for sale. If you pay $200 for an stb, that is much cheaper than having to pay $30/month for 12 months, then you can get just the HD/Voom pack.

More reasons to avoid Dish. Before I got Voom, I had been a Dish customer since Dec 1996. They are about the sleaziest company I've ever dealt with. Even with the Voom exclusives, I don't think that their HD package is worth $15 a month...especially since it's missing the key HD channels: Universal, Cinemax, TMC, and Starz. How much more will they add to the cost if they ever add these.

Having to pay for the Dish even makes it more of a deal breaker. In order to get SOME of the HD programming I had with VOOM, I'd have to pay nearly $35 more a month. I think I'll stick with my free 18 channel basic cable until we see what DirecTv is going to offer.

The more of these threads I read, the more i"m reminded of why I went with directv instead of dish when I first got into satellite. I never really liked dish's marketing schemes and pricing packages. They were just too freakin confusing.

You should be able to just use the VOOM dish to read 61.5, however you may need to get a new LNB. A retailer can definitely help you with that. But I talked to retail services the other day and they said that the Voom channels were going to be on sat 110, I don't know if they are going to move Rainbow 1 over to that location in the future or what, but I guess only time will tell. But the dish itself is not the expensive part it is the LNB. The only thing is that you get a free standard installation as a new or returning customer(new promotions for returning customers by the way). So here is what we are doing, we are going to figure out how to use an existing VOOM dish for this without having to change out any equipment. I will keep you posted VOOMERS. LOL

AxE said:
OK guys here's the deal.......

DO NOT CALL DISH!!!!!!!

The reason for this is that the people there do not know what is going on half of the time and you get a different answer about stuff every time you call. As a retailer for them I get the same thing.

What you need to do is to call a local retailer, not Best Buy or Costco, but someone who specializes in satellite T.V.

I just sold a Dish Network job yesterday to a previous VOOM customer, gave him 2 811's for FREE along with 2 standard 311 receivers. All you have to pay is $49.99 up front and you get that back on your first bill as a credit. The ONLY time you pay extra is if you get a 942 ($249.99) or a 625 ($19.99).

My company has been doing this for 13 years and we have a very good reputation. The only time we tell people to call Dish Network is for the dishin' it up promo or the dish mover.

So if you guys want to do the VOOM channels with Dish Network I would highly recommend finding a local retailer, because they can do everything for you that Dish can, except you won't get the headache. If you do not know a local retailer, send me a PM with your info and I will find you one regardless of whether it is E* or D*.

Happy shopping.
Can you help me.

DarrellP said:
Timm, I would suggest you find an 811 or a 6000 for sale. If you pay $200 for an stb, that is much cheaper than having to pay $30/month for 12 months, then you can get just the HD/Voom pack.
That is exactly what I'd like to do....but I think AxE just said they won't let me:
AxE said:
Is it somehow different if I buy a receiver from a guy I work with instead of from a retailer? The more questions I ask the more confused I get! I have no problem buying a receiver -- I'd just hate to do that, only to find out I have to pay for a bunch of SD channels I don't really want.

AxE said:
So here is what we are doing, we are going to figure out how to use an existing VOOM dish for this without having to change out any equipment. I will keep you posted VOOMERS. LOL

Well that would be interesting. I could keep cable, and just use the voom dish for the voom channels if dishnet lets me get just those channel.

Timm, the requirement to have an SD package to get the HD Pack is if you are a new customer and are getting an installation deal. Can a retailer chime in here and tell me if I'm wrong? Can Timm buy an stb and call in to activate it as a new customer? I sold my old Dish 3000 to a guy who never had Dish and he was able to activate it ok.

DarrellP said:
Timm, the requirement to have an SD package to get the HD Pack is if you are a new customer and are getting an installation deal.
Well, I will be a new customer. But what do you mean about "an installation deal". I'll need another dish installed, won't I? And the lnb switched out on the Voom dish (or that dish replaced with a Dish dish?). But I'm more than willing to forego any "deals" on the installation of whatever's required and pay whatever it costs if it means I'll be able to subscribe to just the HD Pak+Voom10.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)