Voom's PQ Is Lousy

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
vurbano said:
Clowns? SO we have another new member in our midst that is going to insult any group that doesnt agree with him?

I have to totally agree. There would only be a couple of actual Voomers who would agree with his initial post. The rest recognize some of the issues but prefer voom to the alternatives.

Silas do you actually have Voom or what?

Silas said:
I knew my post would bring in the clowns..so be it. Come on Voom give us the quality that you advertize...maybe drop that flipper channel and a few others to open up some bandwidth for the channels that are watched by more than a few.
The Family Channel is a very good channel. Don't you think it is better than LAB, ULTRA, and AUCTION? IMHO, I would get rid of these first. Also, I personally could live without HDnews, ANIMANIA (children like it but it needs more content). Maybe combine Gallery and Equator and Ultra. That would free 6 channels. Now, that would leave space for Hdnet, Inhd1 and Inhd2, OutdoorChannel-1 and OutdoorChannel2-HD.

Then condense the 10 movie channels down to 5 and that would give enough space for SD versions of the RSNs. I know the would have to call it Voom 11 instead of 21, but when/if the DVR comes out we won't need all the bandwidth.

I'm for anything that would get the picture quality where it should be.I would give up three of my favorite channels if that's what it takes. Just watched The masters on UHD and it was anything but high definition...sad :(

Silas said:
I knew my post would bring in the clowns..so be it. Come on Voom give us the quality that you advertize...maybe drop that flipper channel and a few others to open up some bandwidth for the channels that are watched by more than a few.

Dragon??? Is that you behind that new ID???? :eek:

SOUNDSTAGE--watching this channel the entire late afternoon and evening. PQ was not as sharp as when I first got VOOM about 6 weeks ago. I realize the production could be substandard, so won't pass judgement until I have watched it at various times of the day, on various days, etc.

BUT, the sound is cutting out a lot--was that noticeable to anyone else during the Peter Gabriel concert? I would like to know--as, if it is my receiver, there is a service date set for April 19 to swap it out--as my various sound problems are being blamed on the receiver, but if it is NOT me alone, then I don't want to waste VOOM's $$ on a service call that won't do me any good.

I think it is important to report, objectively, the various problems with the PQ, audio, etc--just so everyone can determine whether it is their HD tv, the VOOM box or just their lack of optimum adjustments.

I don't want to cancel my VOOm just because I am getting poor PQ or audio--I want to find out the cause and remedy that--I don't want to throw the baby out with the bathwater.

What I noticed while watching The Masters was a lack of detail..nothing was sharp or crisp. The smaller the object the camera was looking at.. the fuzzier it looked. Not once was I able to see the dimples of the golf ball. When ever the camera would scan (often in golf) there was a washout effect. These problems are not so server that they jump right out at you, but are very obvious if you are used to a real hd quality picture. I can understand how some people wouldn't noticed these things if they have nothing better to compare it to. But please don't say the picture is great because it's a long ways from great.

bookwalk said:
I don't want to cancel my VOOm just because I am getting poor PQ or audio--I want to find out the cause and remedy that--I don't want to throw the baby out with the bathwater.

I agree with all you said.

In regards to the Masters they only use true HD cameras from the stationary cameras, usaully looking from the green back down the fairway. The cameras roaming the fairways with the players are like the "high resolution" 480p cameras FOX used to use for football games and there is a very noticeable difference as there has been in years past. But using 1080i trying to follow the ball is always going to be a problem I feel 720p suits sports alot more.

I am watching the Masters Golf Tournament on HD on Universial HD and it is the best picture of golf that I have ever seen. Nothing else is comparable. I can see things in this telecast that I have never seen in a 1000 hours of TV golf. All I can say is WOW!

Check out the ball game on TNTHD thats on now...look at the fuzzy faces of the people sitting in the stands. The crappy PQ is not about anything other than trying to do to much with to little.

Silas, wipe the peanut butter off the screen.Unplug the toaster you are using for an antenna and call a tech. service person to help you move the TV out of your trailer so they can hook it up properly. Take down all the coat hangers and oh yes....buy an HDTV and have it calibrated and properly connected. You are one out of 40,000 with a bad signal. Also, notice the one red sock and the one black sock you are wearing. You probably have another pair just like them somewhere. Good luck.

Silas:

If Voom's PQ is 'subpar'... then all others (E*, D*, TWC and Comcast) are the 'shittiest' ever... why? how do I support this? well, right now I have Voom and E* and has previously been a subscriber to D*, TWC and Comcrap... and with all services, I have used the same type of high-end cables, from the same maker and model, and the same high-end HDTV sets and Voom's PQ is WAAAAAAAAAY SUPERIOR, plain and simple.

It's one thing to talk the talk, but before doing so, make sure you have walked the walk... otherwise, STFU.

Say good-bye to Voom..I for one don't care because when it comes to hd.. Voom is a pretender.

Silas said:
Say good-bye to Voom..I for one don't care because when it comes to hd.. Voom is a pretender.

Good bye Voom :mad: :mad: :mad:
However Silas please let us know which stream you intend to troll in next so we can avoid you ;) ;)

neo0285 said:
The Voom Pq is sub-par. Thats all there is to it. This guy is not the first dude to say it, and all he is doing is posting his opinion and you guys are jumping all over him. There are many people saying the same, even Sean started a thread stating his displeasure with the PQ. Flame me all you want, i already lowered my package from Vavavoom and as soon as my 6 months of contract are up and the PQ is not fixed, im out. FLAME AWAY!!!

Well, you're in for an unpleasnat surprise---I can speak for DISH at least, and their picture qaulity is worse, except for HDNET. SD channels are horrible looking, absolutely unwatchable sometimes. And the 5 whopping HD channels that cost $10 extra a month look no better, and often worse, than anything Voom has. So enjoy yourself.

Silas, I'm with you all the way. There are many people here who watch Voom through rose colored glasses and would not know great PQ if it bit them in the ass. I am sorry to see Voom go, I think eventually they would have figured out the new encoders or switched to MPEG-4 to give us a better picture.

FIREBIRD81 said:
Well, you're in for an unpleasnat surprise---I can speak for DISH at least, and their picture qaulity is worse, except for HDNET. SD channels are horrible looking, absolutely unwatchable sometimes. And the 5 whopping HD channels that cost $10 extra a month look no better, and often worse, than anything Voom has. So enjoy yourself.
I agree with you on the SD, but wholeheartedly disagree with the HD. Dish HD's worst HD channel is better than Voom's best. I watch Dish everyday because Voom looks so bad. :mad:

DarrllP....have you had a chance to compare D* and E* HD? Actually this morning V* was beginning to look like its old self. Perhaphs they just gave up and went back to the old encoders. Who knows?

I haven't seen it today, maybe this evening I'll get to catch a bit. Figures they'd get the PQ straightened out then shut down. ;-(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)