Voom's PQ Is Lousy

gutter said:
DarrllP....have you had a chance to compare D* and E* HD? Actually this morning V* was beginning to look like its old self. Perhaphs they just gave up and went back to the old encoders. Who knows?

Guuter, you're right. Last night it really looked very good. Much better then it was for the last 2, 3 months.

DarrellP said:
There are many people here who watch Voom through rose colored glasses and would not know great PQ if it bit them in the ass. I am sorry to see Voom go, I think eventually they would have figured out the new encoders or switched to MPEG-4 to give us a better picture.

You've done your little part to kill off Voom by scaring a few customers away with your incessant whining and condescending drivel. Your campaign on PQ did much more harm than good - backfired on you really.

Esophagus_Constrictor said:
Your campaign on PQ did much more harm than good - backfired on you really.

I don't think that is a fair comment at all. He didn't knock the service itself like others did but he did and should hold their feet to the fire to ask them to provide the best PQ. They did have a problem even if you didn't see it.

gutter said:
I don't think that is a fair comment at all. He didn't knock the service itself like others did but he did and should hold their feet to the fire to ask them to provide the best PQ. They did have a problem even if you didn't see it.

Fair? You call hundreds of messages in a public forum expressing a viewpoint that is a result of ignorance and/or laziness fair? Did he ever bother to have his equipment calibrated for the Voom STB versus the Dish IRD? Would he even know how? Did Darrell ever communicate his issues with Voom directly? No he spouted off in this forum in every thread wherever he could squeeze in his myopic opinion. Me thinks thou doth protest too much.

BTW, I never said Voom didn't have PQ issues. I have a pretty good eye, two of them in fact, make my living using them. I have found many issues with nearly every TV provider that I have had, every video monitor, video camera, computer monitor and every projector that I have had or reviewed. I let the companies know my opinion about them by communicating with the service providers and manufacturers directly. Darrell has cried "wolf", it is completely ineffective and has proven counter productive.

In my experience if you want to help a software vendor, a service provider or a manufacturer with their product you engage them in a professional manner not trash them in a public forum. I have no respect for the Darrell's of the world, I discount them as whining dolts.

Esophagus_Constrictor said:
I have no respect for the Darrell's of the world, I discount them as whining dolts.

:eek: You tell 'em Esoph!

My Voom PQ was never perfect (well CBS OTA looked as good as I've ever seen a broadcast image) but it was never nearly as bad as DarrellP would have you believe. I think he tries to find something wrong.

Is it possible the receiver is not set to output the correct resolution? I think I had Voom a couple weeks, and thought it looked pretty darn good, before I discovered this forum. I read the FAQ, and decided to check the 'orange bars' on my receiver. Whad'ya know - I hadn't even been watching 1080i. My jaw really dropped when I set it correctly. :D

Thanks Gutter, all you have to do is look at the number of posts the people who scathe me have, end of story.

I never, ever knocked Voom, I just critiqued their PQ. I love the concept of Voom, I just couldn't stand the PQ after the new encoders went active. FWIW, I did communicate many, many times directly to Voom via phone calls, emails and to the main man Wilt himself. I think my bombarding them with PQ issues actually may have helped improve EquatorHD since it's enception prior to the encoders.

Those of you who think calibration will help the Voom PQ do not know or understand the dynamics of how a picture is presented. I am an electronic technician with an audio/video/computer background, so trust me when I tell you the problem was on Voom's end, not mine.

Rest In Peace, Voom, I will miss you, bad/good/indifferent PQ and all.

:river :river :river

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts